Older Garrett Metal Detector

hiller

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2009
Hello everyone,
This is my first time on this forum and I'm not an expert on this computer. I just turned 60 and I'm still trying to figure this thing out. Anyway, I have a question. I recently inherited a Garrett grand master hunter CXII with two crossfire search coils, one is 8 1/2", the other is 5x10" elliptical . It's in new never been used condition and has been kept in a carrying case. I think when it was bought it was Garrett's second to best detector. My question-I'd like to start detecting, I never did it before,would you guys and gals use this one or get a newer upgraded model. My concern is - I know anything that is electronic are always constantly upgraded and I believe this detector is at least 20 years old. Thanks in advance for any advice from anyone. HILLER

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give it a go depending on where your going to be using it. I found the CX III (the upgrade to yours) to not like negatively mineralised clay areas. On the beach it wasn't the best either uless you stuck to the dry at the very top. On the plus side it had a very deep all metal non motion mode.

Its noisy compared to most modern detectors but you can tell good from bad and it responds quickly and allows you to pick up good items next to bad. Target masking by bad items can stop you hearing the good. The Garrett copes well.... the best seller detector of the time, the XLT didn't.

Hopefully it will be stable and still manage respectable depths. Things have advanced, weight, battery life etc but it was a high end detector of its day (1997/1998 ?) so should still compete against lower end modern machines.

Best of luck !

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi Hiller
I have had that detector for 18 years and it can Id in Disc. a quarter 8" dime at 6" penny at 6" in my 23 year old coin garden,,,so thats it in depth , slow sweep, and will do the coin thing well, and relic hunt All metal in the plowed fields gets deep, but the weight so just to heavy for me for very long anymore. IF you go to a public park and try to learn it might drive you crazy ,to much trash to learn...do your yard and maybe your neighbors yard too.
At 60 you might want a liter machine i did at 59 and just picked up a Tek G2 and can hunt all day 2.8 lbs.

Nevada Dan

Tenderfoot
May 17, 2011
I have a much older Garrett similar to yours. The crossfire coils are quite good, and I keep this for mu backup MD. Doesn't have quite the depth as my newer machines, but a worthy detector. found a lot of good stuff with it.

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a White's Gold Master V/sat and a Fisher gold bug, and a Bounty gold digger. I use the gold digger frequently because it is easier and fun. Turn it on and go, don't use the discriminator because it is a pain in the ass.
Read the instruction manual on your machine and go out and have fun learning how it works.
I dig everything because I might miss a penny or dime, etc.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep it, take time to learn it and it'll serve you well...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread