Hand Held Pin Pointer

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I went tectin for the first time in 4 months without my Pro-Pointer. I still have my F-point but it really sucked. I didn't even realize how dependent I had become on the Pro-Pointer until yesterday.
I havent had a problem losing it I keep it on my Batman Super metal detecting tool belt in the holster that it came with and havent lost it once. If I did I would just add a velcro strap to the top to secure it. I also find the light to be useless since after I use it once it is coverd in mud. for light I cary a smallish LED flashlight that doesn't get caked in mud.

Last edited:

vuggy

Apr 6, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro / 12" 300 / Eclipse DD / Eclipse Shooter
|
Bounty Hunter |
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also find the light to be useless since after I use it once it is coverd in mud. for light I cary a smallish LED flashlight that doesn't get caked in mud.

Yeah I agree. the light is very small. It's good for the initial inspection. but once you start rooting around with it like a plastic surgeon doing liposuction it does get covered.

it I keep it on my Batman Super metal detecting tool belt

If no one is around I'll wear my mining headlamp I use when I'm rockhounding for a hands free light source. But most of the time I don't want to look too nerdy. Guess it's not that big of a deal. What's one more thing besides the detector, digging implements, pouch, etc. Now if i was wearing both a Batman Super metal detecting tool belt AND headlamp at the same time, that could draw some extra attention. :laughing7:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im no pro i have maybe 70 hours detecting time in now total ...but id say anything other then the pro pointer is wasted money i got a fisher on my desk i havent stuck in the dirt yet after the air test was about 3/4 of an inch ..the pro pointer can do alot of things detuning it on a target will get pin point accuracy and the quarter trick will double its depth

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear lots of good talk about the Garrett Pro pointer, but it is out of my price range at this time. So I got the Zircon m40 and I have found a lot more trash much faster than ever before, and a few keepers as well. Point is that I am spending less time digging at each target and then moving on.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear lots of good talk about the Garrett Pro pointer, but it is out of my price range at this time. So I got the Zircon m40 and I have found a lot more trash much faster than ever before, and a few keepers as well. Point is that I am spending less time digging at each target and then moving on.
This .......main reason we have em!GL detecting guys!

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do yourself a huge favor and get the GARRETT PRO POINTER....by far the best pin pointer...there is ONLY one reason that they are on backorder...think about it.

Ezkilll

Aug 20, 2012
Maple Valley, WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am new to metal detecting and I am still struggling with finding things in my holes. I can't quite invest in a Garrett ProPointer yet so I invested in a $16 Harbor Freight pointer. I did some detecting on a beach and found that the using the HF handheld worked pretty well as a pin pointer. On the good side it is very inexpensive and very sensitive. On the bad side the sensitivity adjustment is very sensitive itself - it has a very narrow range useful for pin pointing. Also, it is not a very sturdy item - don't expect to be digging with it.

I know it is not a ProPointer - but if you want to try the concept before you invest in a pin pointer that costs a good fraction of your detector, the Harbor Freight version isn't bad. And by the way, if you loose it, it's only $16.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used a freebie one I got over 20 years ago. It's a TinyTec and works just fine. It's a simple, one-dial adjustment unit with a indicator light and a battery saver switch. I have a couple of other pin pointers but they are bigger (bulkier) and don't fit into my pouch as easily so I just don't use them. I figured that when this one breaks, I would use one of the newer ones but this old one just won't break! They sure do help when you're chasing a small target like an earring or a coin on edge off to the side of the hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread