Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Pinpointer will speed up your recovery time. Think about how often you have to wave dirt in front of your coil before you find your target. How often do you dig a plug ony to find that the target is not in the hole? A pinpointer will find the target in the sidewall of a hole. Your recovery time will improve by 60% +-.

I personaly use the Garrett Pro-Pointer, it's a great pinpointer, has audio and vibrating alert, is extremely durable, and comes with a two year manufacturer's warranty. Call me if you have any questions!

Wayne

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A pin pointer makes finding your target easier and can cut down on your time searching for your target. I use a Garrett Pro-Pointer and I love it. It is more expensive then most but it is a great tool.

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
+ 100 on the Garrett Pro-Pointer. I love mine!

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here I have a Garrett Pro-pointer too, Well I did till a couple days ago when it broke. I talked to Garrett and sent it back for repair today. I read that they are real easy to deal with. Guess we will see. My detector came with a fisher F-Point Which works fine but you have to get a lot closer to the target and I wore a hole in the tip fairly quickly but I was able to fix with a JB weld like product and I use both together. $130 is a big outlay for a starter so I would recommend Getting the One from Harbor Freight Which is about $18 but you can find 20% coupons In magazines along another coupon for a free thing like a flashlight or screwdriver set or multimeter (I have all of them) But the HF one isn't waterproof, I dropped mine in saltwater and killed it, that was after I had to replace the switch because it wore out.
So basically I'm trying to say, If you have the budget go with the pro-pointer. If money is an issue try the HF one until you find enough to pay for the Pro-pointer. That's what I did:tongue3:

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garrett Pro-Pointer all the way!

Chuck In Oregon

Jun 16, 2004
Cottage Grove, Oregon
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ-20, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Garrett Pro-Pointer all the way!

What he said. I detected for years without a pinpointer, just bought my first one in January when I got back into MDing. It changes the whole detecting experience. I wouldn't dream of going out without my Pro-Pointer today. One of my buddies uses my back-up detector, can't yet bring himself to buy one and it's not like you can wear out my CZ-20. However, he did buy himself a Garrett Pro-Pointer so he doesn't have to keep borrowing mine. I can't recommend it highly enough. You won't regret it.

Chuck

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just Bought One For Red So I dont Have to Share Mine!!! They are So Popular They are On Back Order!!! Its Worth the Wait!!! Chug

Bay Beagle

Apr 6, 2012
Central, Virginia
Detector(s) used
DEUS XP V5
MINELAB EXPLORER II
NAUTILUS DMC
WHITES COIN MASTER
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This question helped me too!!! big thanks .....

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Zircon M40 works for me....$30.00 at Lowe`s
For 30 bucks I will give that one a try..... heck 2 inches on a coin is better than what I am getting now with my present pinpointer and it cost 3 times that.

toysoldier2

Mar 14, 2012
Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Teknetics Alpha, Treasure Commander TC2X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can you keep a secret? There are those that think that if you do your "X" with your metal detector and then select the pinpoint mode, you shouldn't have to spend the extra money for something that is "nice to have." But that being said, I use one too. Also, the Garrett pro-pinpointer was/is so popular that the company has a hard time keeping up with demand. When I tried to get one from a dealer they all said I would have to wait because they were on backorder. I called GARRETT and they told me the same thing but they offered me a possible solution: Place your order with someone who uses the "DROPSHIP" method (order placed with dealer but item shipped from factory). I did that and got it in about a week.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As others have said - not truly necessary but handy. They will save you time and frustration. Especially when you turn the coin with the plug and don't notice. I really like my Sunray, but that's not cheap. It's a 1" coil on a 3 ft leade to a splitter box & toggle switch that is shared with the regular coil so you get the headset audio and the detector's display information. And the pinpoint trigger off the detector works through it as well.

I still use an F-Point I got free with the Fisher and find that works well enough to justify carrying it along as well.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zircon M40 works for me....$30.00 at Lowe`s

I've tried many cheaper pinpointers when I started this a few years ago but never knew about the Zircon M40. It looks like it gets the job done.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just bite the bullet and buy the Garret Pro Pointer. You will just waste money buying things that "kind of work, or work OK. With the Pro Pointer you will cut recovery time and frustration levels way down, and you will enjoy your detecting day more. I easily dig 2x as many holes with a good pinpoint, so you should get a few more finds in and mine paid for itself....The second I used one for the first time I said to my self "Oh man, this is just too nice. Can you imagine having to detect WITHOUT one of these? It would drive you crazy"

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting off and on for 12 years. Never had a pinpointer until I purchased my DFX300 last summer. It came with a pinpointer, Bullseye. I don't know how it compares to the others but it works and I don't know how I did without one for so long. It is wonderful. One word of caution though...always be aware of where the thing is. I have lost mine a few times and wasted detecting time looking for it in the woods. Once I even found the probe just sticking up out of the ground in a hole i filled. I was lucky...I wonder if anyone else ever lost theirs. Its a sinking feeling to go for it and it is not there and you say to yourself (Crap where did I bury that thing now!).

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I consider the pin pointer the next most important tool after my detector and digger. You can detect without one, but they're definitely a great help in making quicker recoveries. The Garrett Pro Pointer is excellent if you can work it into your budget.
luvscux

vuggy

Apr 6, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro / 12" 300 / Eclipse DD / Eclipse Shooter
|
Bounty Hunter |
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got Garrett Pro-Pointer in the mail a few weeks ago. Ordered it from KellyCo. But their customer service contacted me an hour after I placed my order and said it was on back order and they were expecting a shipment soon. It was about a 2 week wait to get it. But totally worth it.

Funny thing is, I'm still learning on my Bounty Hunter detector that was less than $200. And I paid about $120 just for the Pro-Pointer before getting my next upgraded detector. Based on all my research, i found a lot of raves and reviews.

What I love about it:
It truly does "pinpoint".
It has an audible repeating beep that speeds up as you get closer to your target.
When you are locked on, the beep is a solid audible beeeeeeeeeeeep! That's when you get really excited. Unless it's a rusty nail or pulltab.
It has a vibration that pulses faster as you get closer to your target.
It has a little scraper edge so you root around your dirt to isolate your surface target.
It has a little white light that is handy when you are poking down in the dark mystery hole.
The power button is in a good spot for a quick on/off with your thumb.

What I don't like:
Like others have mentioned, it's easy to lose. I've left it on the ground or in holes a number of times.
I can only use it with my right hand because my left hand makes it squeal from my wedding ring. So i scare the crap out of myself quite a bit.
It's black in color. Looks cool. But if it had a hint of bright color, it'd be easier to find

It'd be great to rig a belt holster for it and/or retracting tether like a dog leash. Maybe something like that exists already. If not I'm inventing it.

Wow that was a lot of typing. Guess I like that thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread