Newb looking for a metal detector...

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, here's the story: Both me and my son are interested in metal detecting. But I really don't know the first thing about it, especially when it comes to the question of what brands are worth their price tag. Or, what it even really takes to get started in this hobby.

My son, at first, hinted at wanting a detector for his birthday; and recently straight up requested one. So that leads me to believe his interest is at least somewhat strong. He is a pre-teen, so I think his attention span has made the leap from child-like to more teen-like. I think he has at least a few more years before hanging out with his buddies and then chasing girls really takes over.

He currently helps me coin roll hunt and has an interest in coins, bullion, and collecting in general.

I'm looking for something that isn't too expensive but isn't a cheap knock-off, to give to him as a gift. I'm thinking $300 is my spending limit. Ideally, something I could use as well and feel confident in its quality and ability. Something that'll last a few years, doesn't require a ton of maintenance, is relatively sophisticated/sensitive, etc.

Opinions/advice appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
1.Fisher F2
2.Garrett Ace 250
3.Tesoro Silverumax(Which I would pick)
4.Tekentics Delta 4000
5.Whites Coinmaster

Those all are good starter machines and are enough detector to find some nice stuff. I'd personally take the Tesoro as it's the easiest to use and the only one with a lifetime warranty.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1.Fisher F2
2.Garrett Ace 250
3.Tesoro Silverumax(Which I would pick)
4.Tekentics Delta 4000
5.Whites Coinmaster

Those all are good starter machines and are enough detector to find some nice stuff. I'd personally take the Tesoro as it's the easiest to use and the only one with a lifetime warranty.

Great picks!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinstrike has given you some excellent choices..

donlor

Apr 4, 2007
staten island, ny
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark, tesoro tiger shark, tesoro cibola, goldbug se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
check out tesoro detectors - they are well worth their modest prices
the compadre (which i haven't used) gets very good reviews is very light & costs $161

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Do yourself a favor and buy something used for that price. An Xterra would be a great choice, or if you're patient you might find a used F4 or F5. If you think you or he might take it seriously (not just trolling for clad, but looking for old coins and relics) steer clear of the ACEs'.

pops9653

Apr 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look on craigslist. I found my Bounty Hunter 505 (a $300 detector) for $75 new in the box never out of the plastic.

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
buy used minelab sovereign (any model) easy to use and you'll never have to upgrade.read some reviews....it rocks

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Limit $300, buying new, for a kid? Easy choice-- Teknetics Delta.

Buying used, it all depends on what you can actually get your hands on for what price. Being new to all of this, it'll be hard to know what actually represents a good buy for your purposes. Some of the advice given so far has been for machines which the person posting probably wishes they could pick up for cheap for themselves, but are a poor choice as a gift for a kid. You want a machine that is light enough for kid to handle, simple enough for the both of you to learn it quickly, and with enough performance that if the bug really bites hard and you want to get a fancier more powerful machine, the machine you already have is still good enough to be a keeper for backup and as a loaner.

--Dave J.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Ace 250 and get a pin pointer the ace 350 comes with a dd coil they take some learning compared to the 250 with a Concentric coil

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the help and advice. I have until mid-summer to research all of your suggestions and make a decision.

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I bought my first metal detector about a year ago (Teknetics delta 4000) and have been happy with it. I've only used it about 10 times and have found a handful of clad coins, some old (broken) toys and of course the usual pull tabs and nails. It's super easy to use. Would definitely suggest purchasing a pin pointer though, just ordered one last week.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've already been given a good list. But a couple of other things about buying. Nothing beats the opportunity to try a detective and see how it feels and sounds to you. And be wary of purchasing new over the Internet. Many, including top companies such as Kelly Co advertise "no risk" purchase, but their fine print and practice is to charge you a 20 percent restocking fee if you so much as take the detector out of its shipping box . Better to find a local dealer where you can try before you buy. If I were to recommend a detector, I'd say a Tesoro Deleon. You get a sturdy detector, target ID, light weight, a lifetime warranty and there are plenty available used in your price range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions