greedy noobie idiots

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. Been on this forum and others for years. Never really posted anything. Always admiring peoples finds and absorbing all the info I can get. I decided to go detecting at one of my favorite spots the other day. When I got there I pulled out the trusty Explorer XS and geared up for some relaxing metal detecting. I ground balanced my machine and adjusted a few other settings then, I looked up. The place looked like a minefield!! Obvious digs everywhere with no regard for filling the holes in. I walked about 5 feet and here comes somebody shouting: Hey! We dont want you doing that here!! :angry4: Thanks a lot, greedy noobs. Guess I should be "thanking" Rick Savage. unbelievable!

Upvote 0

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No...I think it's more the person that buys a cheapie at Walmart or other big-box store, doesn't bother to talk to anyone about proper technique, seen some tv show about getting rich quick, then goes at it like some panicked gopher digging for it's life. It's the same people that leave their trash at the parks and we dig it up and dispose of it properly.

I think the people who take the time in this age of technology that use the internet, glean the useful information that's available, then actually apply it, are the ones we should encourage with advice that keeps our hobby legal.

Al

I purchased an entry level detector, and I'm a "newbie". I'd never dream of leaving an unsightly hole or trash behind my searches. I think I have removed more trash than anything I have recovered. Since I haven't recovered anything, I've been doing the work trustees could have been doing :)

The new shows suck. My ambition is to find relics (and old coins). I'm a newb and if my desire was to get rich, I'd buy stock in some crappy tech company. I (convinced the wife) started hunting to get exercise. Little did I know it's true. I'm sore in places I didn't know existed. I'm hooked though.

Last edited:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 2 screwed thanks for the compliments I didn't mean to go off on a tangent and I shouldn't have. I know who I am and thats what counts. The metal detecting thing is just something for me to do when I can't be in the creek prospecting. I'll have to say it's just about as fun and really a whole lot less back breaking for a not so young "newbie" to both treasure hunting hobbies. I should know by now theres always opinions and you know what they say bout that. May the Treasure Gods give one up for you.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey 2 screwed thanks for the compliments I didn't mean to go off on a tangent and I shouldn't have. I know who I am and thats what counts. The metal detecting thing is just something for me to do when I can't be in the creek prospecting. I'll have to say it's just about as fun and really a whole lot less back breaking for a not so young "newbie" to both treasure hunting hobbies. I should know by now theres always opinions and you know what they say bout that. May the Treasure Gods give one up for you.

You ever get that feeling of deja vu hunter? lol

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you all don't tag every new detectorist with the idiot theory, cause I'm what I'd call a new guy and I have learned almost all I know about MDing from all of you here. I understand exactly what your saying and wish I had an answer for you. All I can say is I believe it's not just the new MDers to the hobby its people in general today. Morale fiber of society is basicly ripped to shreds and everyone out for themselve these days and could give a crap about anyone if they think they can make a buck.
Welcome aboard hunter. A lot of good people on here...and a bunch of cry babies. Its the same ones crying over and over.

pops9653

Apr 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if we could get manufactures to put the code of ethics in the box with the detector or attached. I know a lot of people won't read them but some will.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These stories depress me.

I never thought I'd say this in a billion years but I wish there were a few shows out right now on how easy it is to find big treasure at yard sales and thrift stores. I'd rather protect this hobby than that one any day.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that every single owners manual by the major companies should have a how to retrieve ttargets and mention filling in holes and why - along with getting permissions and such

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the very least put a free DVD outlining the procedure with every machine

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry I didn't word it better Hunter. Every once in a while I have that brain to keybord burp and the wording doesn't come out right. I'm sure there are probably the fair share of people out there with expensive machines as well digging gopher holes. They just seem to lack the common sense of filling holes. No insult meant to those that have inexpensive machines....that's what I started out with back in the early 80's because I just couldn't afford anything else and reading the treasure mags back then, well...I was bit by the bug before I even started.
But even those treasure mags gave you some common sense and ethics when we didn't have the internet to rely on.

Unless we saw someone with a detector or read a treasure mag, I believe a lot of us would never have got in the hobby because we didn't even know it existed. Now you have tv commercials and shows that make it look like a get rich thing. And for most of us...it just isn't true. They show finding the good stuff but not the techniques to recovering them properly...so I can see where this mindset of dig and move and not fill occurs.

I would wonder now....What led anyone to wanting to buy a detector in the first place and what did they do before and during there purchase? How many researched a detector, asked around about detectors, talked to a person detecting...or did they see one in Wallyworld and buy it on the spur of the moment, thinking it sounds fun and never ask a soul about using it? How exactly did anyone develope their habits?
Sounds like these questions could be a whole new topic of discussion...I'd be curious how people decided to get into it and whether they took the time to research any aspect to the hobby before digging their first item.

Al

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would wonder now....What led anyone to wanting to buy a detector in the first place and what did they do before and during there purchase? How many researched a detector, asked around about detectors, talked to a person detecting...or did they see one in Wallyworld and buy it on the spur of the moment, thinking it sounds fun and never ask a soul about using it? How exactly did anyone develope their habits?
Sounds like these questions could be a whole new topic of discussion...I'd be curious how people decided to get into it and whether they took the time to research any aspect to the hobby before digging their first item.
Al

Hi Al,

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I've always had an interest. I collected beer cans as a kid (and somewhat into adulthood). One year for Christmas I received a cheap Radio Shack (Tandy then, I believe) metal detector. As I recall it always made a tone and just got louder when near a target. Or near a wall. Or near a puddle. Or near my shoes.

Anyway, I was detecting a road near my house and found a 20 Grand Cream Ale can. It was in horrible condition, but was a prize for me when all I usually found was Budweiser or Miller cans.

As for my recent entry to the hobby, I was bored one evening and (reading up on the war of northern aggression) found this site. My research consisted of finding a well-reviewed name-brand, then buying what I could afford. My interest is history - my wish list consists of civil war bullets, Mercury dimes, or hell even a Buffalo Nickel would tickle me to death.

As I said earlier, I think I am hooked, even though I haven't found anything resembling "treasure". I think bundling all newbies as "American Digger" fans is a bit unfair - but it is what it is. I'll sleep well tonight, I've replaced my plugs and filled my digs.

DE

downrigger47

Greenie
Apr 1, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
ACE250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into MDing about 2 months ago. I had a massive heart attack only47 years old.After a couple surgerys they sent me home,and told me to get some low impact excercise,without which I wouldn't be able to hike up and down the mountains where I live hunting deer. I got home and was in bed deppressed when I took my laptop and started watching fishing videos and somehow there was a guy fishing and he had a metal detector. I started watchin MD videos some good some bad. Then I found this website started reading and I found it all interesting. I have been a history buff my whole life,and an avid outdoorsman. I told my wife about MDing and she said sure buy one,it will be good for your heart low impact.
She gave me a budget around 200.00,and so I researched. I got my detector and spent a week in my own yard.What amazed me is out of my 4 children only one has a passion for it that out does me,my 4 year old little girl she loves it.She has her tool belt all her stuff I detect we dig together,whats great is it doesn't have to be anything special we find a bottle top is treasure to her. We put out our towel cut our plug and put all the dirt on the towel she does it herself when were done we put it all back. I have developed a better relationship with my youngest daughter,and learned to slow down and enjoy more of life I have learned a lot and have started to lose a little of the tough guy attitude.So had MDing been good for me? you bet it has will I continue with it? yes WE will my and my gal.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
god save us from the --IMMA GONNA GIT ME ONE OF DEM DARE DETECTIM MOCHINES AND MAKE A WHOLE PASSEL OF EASY MONEY * types --that idiot show is like pouring gas on a brush fire in these tough economiic times -- lots of morons think that metal detecting is a "easy money making hobby" already --well lets just hope they buy good high dollar machines so we can at least get some good machines on the cheap in six months -when they have burnt themselves out.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Makes me sick to my stomach, Iron Patch. They're probably not even worried about the historical significance of their finds. I keep thinking all they will be asking is; "How much can I get for this?".
........................I will tell you i have been in this for 35 years and when i hunt and leave you will not know i have been there .......... BUT WHEN I FIND SOMETHING GOOD ...THE FIRST THING I THINK IS.....HOW MUCH CAN I GET FOR THIS..... FOR I AM NOT A COLLECTOR OR A HISTORY BUFF................

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Ivan and Keppy. :headbang:
After the Seiko's work up a sweat for battery money they will move on.
Have you ever seen the guy that digs a hole as big as a frying pan for a penny?
LMAO :laughing7: the older you get the less you want to dig.
A screw driver and a pin-pointer works for me.
Now if I can get that squirrel to dig my holes for me :icon_scratch:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Ivan and Keppy. :headbang:
After the Seiko's work up a sweat for battery money they will move on.
Have you ever seen the guy that digs a hole as big as a frying pan for a penny?
LMAO :laughing7: the older you get the less you want to dig.
A screw driver and a pin-pointer works for me.
Now if I can get that squirrel to dig my holes for me :icon_scratch:
..Now that is a true statement the older you get the less you want to dig.......... I don't even want a detector that will get 10 inches on a dime.......When you get my age you you start thinking 6 , 7 , 8 ,inches to dig is deep enought ........ And i am not kidding...

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
rick savage is a idiot! man did i have a good laugh i just watched that show the other night and said the same thing. yea! i dont think he is to good for our hobby. willy

OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........................I will tell you i have been in this for 35 years and when i hunt and leave you will not know i have been there .......... BUT WHEN I FIND SOMETHING GOOD ...THE FIRST THING I THINK IS.....HOW MUCH CAN I GET FOR THIS..... FOR I AM NOT A COLLECTOR OR A HISTORY BUFF................

Blah, blah, blah, Keppy. I've been doing this for 20 years and I have a job; this is my hobby. I lost one of my favorite places to hunt because of some noob with a detector and pipe dreams of getting rich quick.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
The "reality" detecting shows will have an impact but the problem has been with us a long time. In regions with dry climate (not enough rains) and thin sod base (thin grass sod) even a careful digger causes tremendous damage.

I used to hunt parks in Michigan and quit years ago due to discovering the fact I left hundreds of round dead areas in the sod. In poor rain areas even a tiny hinged plug kills the grass. Back in 2005 I posted a bunch of pictures here of Michigan parks and the round dead areas looked like UFOs had hit the area.

Even today I can always tell when THers are hunting a park we visit in say mid August.

Any THer can test this at home. Wait till your dry season, pick a place in your front yard, dig a dozen nice neat plugs, properly fill holes, and leave the area to natural rains (no irrigating). Expect your spouse to shoot you about a month later.

It's better in the extreme wet time of the year but even then plugs will show. There will be a slight dip in the plug area (like a dent in the sod). Once a plug of sod is removed, dirt disturbed, it's nearly impossible to return a spot to it's previous condition by manual means. It will take years for the site to gradually return to a natural looking turf.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread