greedy noobie idiots

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. Been on this forum and others for years. Never really posted anything. Always admiring peoples finds and absorbing all the info I can get. I decided to go detecting at one of my favorite spots the other day. When I got there I pulled out the trusty Explorer XS and geared up for some relaxing metal detecting. I ground balanced my machine and adjusted a few other settings then, I looked up. The place looked like a minefield!! Obvious digs everywhere with no regard for filling the holes in. I walked about 5 feet and here comes somebody shouting: Hey! We dont want you doing that here!! :angry4: Thanks a lot, greedy noobs. Guess I should be "thanking" Rick Savage. unbelievable!

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blah, blah, blah, Keppy. I've been doing this for 20 years and I have a job; this is my hobby. I lost one of my favorite places to hunt because of some noob with a detector and pipe dreams of getting rich quick.
I guess you were never a NOOB...you just started as a full on, know it all pro. No Im not a NOOB, but we all were at one time, even you.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Blah, blah, blah, Keppy. I've been doing this for 20 years and I have a job; this is my hobby. I lost one of my favorite places to hunt because of some noob with a detector and pipe dreams of getting rich quick.
With most on here it is a hobby.... I am retired and still do this as a hobby......... AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT OR MEAN???????????????...... If i lost a place to hunt to a noob .... It is no loss for if a noob is hunting it ......For it must not be very good place they just go out and swing any place no thought put in to it..........And then soon put there detector up for sale.......And Blah , Blah , Blah , What kind of talk is that....... OH noob talk or baby talk :laughing9::laughing9:.....???

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The "reality" detecting shows will have an impact but the problem has been with us a long time. In regions with dry climate (not enough rains) and thin sod base (thin grass sod) even a careful digger causes tremendous damage.

I used to hunt parks in Michigan and quit years ago due to discovering the fact I left hundreds of round dead areas in the sod. In poor rain areas even a tiny hinged plug kills the grass. Back in 2005 I posted a bunch of pictures here of Michigan parks and the round dead areas looked like UFOs had hit the area.

Even today I can always tell when THers are hunting a park we visit in say mid August.

Any THer can test this at home. Wait till your dry season, pick a place in your front yard, dig a dozen nice neat plugs, properly fill holes, and leave the area to natural rains (no irrigating). Expect your spouse to shoot you about a month later.

It's better in the extreme wet time of the year but even then plugs will show. There will be a slight dip in the plug area (like a dent in the sod). Once a plug of sod is removed, dirt disturbed, it's nearly impossible to return a spot to it's previous condition by manual means. It will take years for the site to gradually return to a natural looking turf.
That is the truth there MB..

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As for Rick Savage, it is all about money & His TV show. I have to say I am no expert but he looks like a full fledged "Dumb as dirt dude" whe he asks how much will you give me? (He shure should have checked around first.) He at one time was into body building and wrestling but now he looks like he does not care how he looks and could have a heart attack with all that fat he has. I lifted weights since 15 and I never had flab after stopping, I kept busy with good diet and at 61 I am trim as I was in my freshman days.(Don't mean to brag, just proud). The Hobby/Club Savage needs is the "Y" at least. What we do need is a show about metal detecting from a expert about the knowledge, healthy excercise and fun with faith our prospecting is productive and where people can see the time work spent towards our adventures. Not everyone makes tens of thousands of $$$$ but the prospects are out there. We all have very likely walked over riches but you never know where the treasures actually are until you try because there is so much ground to cover. Good luck to all, we do have a future!

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
do not cut round holes but rather do a 3 sized "flap cut' this leaves one side attached so the grass can heal its self * you really do not want to kill the grass or leave dead brown spots now do you ?
--because that can get spots made "off limits" for all detectorist.

coketab

Jan 2, 2013
I wish they would just do away with all these stupid shows. MD'ing is my favorite hobby when I'm not trying to salvage my career of buying and selling used cars that thanks to some TV show has gotten really tough to do because every dumb ass saw someone making money on TV doing it so now they want to. Now they are screwing up my hobby that has got me learning the history of my city and the ones around me. Hell I just found out we had a miniature Woodstock in my town back in 69. Over 120,000 people came here to hear led zeplin, BB king, and Janice Joplin perform. I love history and I get to relive it by MD'ing.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. Been on this forum and others for years. Never really posted anything. Always admiring peoples finds and absorbing all the info I can get. I decided to go detecting at one of my favorite spots the other day. When I got there I pulled out the trusty Explorer XS and geared up for some relaxing metal detecting. I ground balanced my machine and adjusted a few other settings then, I looked up. The place looked like a minefield!! Obvious digs everywhere with no regard for filling the holes in. I walked about 5 feet and here comes somebody shouting: Hey! We dont want you doing that here!! :angry4: Thanks a lot, greedy noobs. Guess I should be "thanking" Rick Savage. unbelievable!
Some fool did that same at one of my spots, he took all my pull tabs. I smiled as I filled the holes. There is a god lol. Most probably a slightly used detector on ebay right now too.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am appaled at the attitude on here directed at new people, trying to enjoy a new hobby. Some of you act as if though you have some sort of claim, that if you did not do this before that TV show,your an idiot,and not capable of doing it right. It is not rock science, your machine beeps, you dig and recover, fill in your hole, and move. Every hobby has people who cut corners, and may not perform the same as you......but it is still their hobby. I just retired,and am recorvering from a heart attack and thought this would get me out of the house. I collected antique bottles for 25 years, you dont think shows like Pickers and others changed things? I have only been in my yard so far,for a few hours,and really enjoyed it, but you guys make me feel like I need your permission to enjoy myself. P.S. Have never seen the show that has you guys so worked up

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if you saw the show you would understand --the show makes it look like "easy money" to be made to the wrong type of folks , you know the type that in their vain "get rich quick" by metal detecting . greedy mind set folks who only have time to dig holes not to refill em in their "rush to riches" hit and run searching method and if that gold ring they trying to dig up turns out to be a pull tab they just leave it laying next to the huge open hole they dug to find it , as they move on to the next beep .--you know the type of folks we speak of --making metal detecting look like a "easy way to get rich fast" might sell detectors and be "fun tv to watch for some"* but in general its a lie and tends to causes lots of problems when simple minded folks fall for the BS.

not that there are not lots of new folks that are good folks mind you ---but as usual --its the 10%/ 90% jerk factor --10% of the people in the world are just "jerks" that tend to cause 90% of the problems --

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just cant imagine going to a park, school, beach, anywhere, and digging a hole and not filling it in!! Maybe thats just my old fashioned ways. People who do this , im sure live their life the same way, Me Me Me its all about me, and is not specific to this hobby, some people just dont care, and their not all "newbies"

ELITE

Jan 1, 2013
louisiana
Detector(s) used
garret at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wonder how much stuff he buries before they start filming:BangHead:

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
My eyes are burning from reading this thread. Insert digging tool in ground to proper depth, flip plug, find target, rake with hand all dirt in hole, flip plug back over, vigorously fan remaining dirt into grass, stand up and give plug a firm stepping. Lol!

rustyman9791

Sep 30, 2012
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Minelab profind.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a newby..... I just started metal detecting at the end of August of last year. I bought a cheap Bounty hunter Tracker IV and yes from Wal-mart. The first day out I went to a local park and found a war Nickel, and yes it was my local park and I tried to make me foot print as small as possiable. A week later I upgraded to a bounty hunter Quick Draw II. 10 days later I bought a Bounty hunter Landstar used on Ebay, and a Propointer. I found myself metal detecting 50 hours a week. I'm Hooked.... Just before Christmas I sold all my metal detectors on Ebay, and went and bought an E-trac. The funny thing is the day I bought my E-trac I got laid off, so I found myself with alot of free time. I from WI and everything is fozen here, so I jump in the car and went beach MDing in Florida. Everywhere I have ever MDed I always filled my holes and took garbage out. Even a Newby can be caring for the hobby.

So last week I saw Digger for the first time. The first thing out of my mouth was "Great now every Tom, Dick, and Harry will be doing this. And the don't even show how to dig a plug..." I said to my self now everyone going to be running around with a machine, and getting MDing band in more places than it already is. So I can understand people trying to protect the hobby we love. I just wish the show would explain SOME proper MDing etiquette.

Last edited:

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Savage won't spawn a new wave of detectorist, People don't believe anything and are too lazy to dig holes for loose change when they can just rob their neighbors instead...:)

OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Savage won't spawn a new wave of detectorist, People don't believe anything and are too lazy to dig holes for loose change when they can just rob their neighbors instead...:)

I agree with all of that except the part about people not believing anything,lol.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am wondering of the guys that have hobby shops etc have seen an increase in purchases since the show. I think Bart from Big Boys reads alot of the posts just curious if he ever commented on a sales increase

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line is, most of the idiots will hunt for awhile, get discouraged and give up after finding a few pull tabs. That's why so many hardly used machines are on the market. Jerks are everywhere in our society, and unfortunately, sometimes rules are made based on the actions of those jerks, and we cannot do anything about that other than be the best we can. Ask permission and cover our holes.

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the worst shape i have ever seen a place left in was not by hobbyist metal detectorists but by "professional" archeaologists. not a plug hole let uncovered but acres. and they do make money at it, its called tax payers money

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the worst shape i have ever seen a place left in was not by hobbyist metal detectorists but by "professional" archeaologists. not a plug hole let uncovered but acres. and they do make money at it, its called tax payers money

metalman89

Jan 25, 2013
Jay, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett powermaster GTA1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if we could get manufactures to put the code of ethics in the box with the detector or attached. I know a lot of people won't read them but some will.

hey pops9653. i just recently bought a new in box(unopened)! radioshack/bounty hunter3000. and it has the code of ethics in the back!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread