greedy noobie idiots

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay. Been on this forum and others for years. Never really posted anything. Always admiring peoples finds and absorbing all the info I can get. I decided to go detecting at one of my favorite spots the other day. When I got there I pulled out the trusty Explorer XS and geared up for some relaxing metal detecting. I ground balanced my machine and adjusted a few other settings then, I looked up. The place looked like a minefield!! Obvious digs everywhere with no regard for filling the holes in. I walked about 5 feet and here comes somebody shouting: Hey! We dont want you doing that here!! :angry4: Thanks a lot, greedy noobs. Guess I should be "thanking" Rick Savage. unbelievable!

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was idiots before the show but there's no question damage now will be looked at in a whole different way. Before the show you might be able to talk someone into believing, at least a little, that it's someone new and they just really need a lot of help, and it will get better... but now damage = greed (along with stupidity) - no questions asked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me sick to my stomach, Iron Patch. They're probably not even worried about the historical significance of their finds. I keep thinking all they will be asking is; "How much can I get for this?".

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me sick to my stomach, Iron Patch. They're probably not even worried about the historical significance of their finds. I keep thinking all they will be asking is; "How much can I get for this?".

At least their treasure dreams will come to a quick end, but after how much damage is done?

I really wonder what all the land owners who gave us permission, and just anyone familiar with detecting here, now thinks after seeing the show. I would guess at least a few think we were cleaning up. Well we were a few times :laughing7: but that certainly didn't happen often, and not to the tune of $20,000 over 4 days! The funny part is even on the cleaning up days there's VERY few land owners that would look at the finds and be impressed.

OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, Iron Patch. Very true.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
tip of the iceberg?

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The glory days are over. Now every mouthbreathing dullard with a few hundred bucks for a machine and a shovel will be tearing up any ground they can find to make their "riches, because that's what da TV SAID!"

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not, there are a lot of MDer's who don't think all these new shows are going to have an impacting effect on the future of our hobby. I don't see how they couldn't have an impacting effect.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
With the state of the economy I'm afraid we will see more and more of this. When you are desperate and see the kind of BS money they get for crap on American Diggers its pretty tempting to go out and try to find some yourself. It only takes one idiot to screw things up.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rick Savage is an idot! I love It Chug!!!! Thanks rhino71 Saw the tag Under your avatar!!!

I Haven't Had the Time to Check it out Myself Lucky that I Have Red And My Step Son to Tell Me About It , While Tying Not To Upchuck all Over the Place!!! Good Thing We Have A Good Camara To Document The Areas We Hunt Before We Enter them!!!! Then There Shouldnt Be More than 30 minuits Delay!!!

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you all don't tag every new detectorist with the idiot theory, cause I'm what I'd call a new guy and I have learned almost all I know about MDing from all of you here. I understand exactly what your saying and wish I had an answer for you. All I can say is I believe it's not just the new MDers to the hobby its people in general today. Morale fiber of society is basicly ripped to shreds and everyone out for themselve these days and could give a crap about anyone if they think they can make a buck.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope you all don't tag every new detectorist with the idiot theory, cause I'm what I'd call a new guy and I have learned almost all I know about MDing from all of you here. I understand exactly what your saying and wish I had an answer for you. All I can say is I believe it's not just the new MDers to the hobby its people in general today. Morale fiber of society is basicly ripped to shreds and everyone out for themselve these days and could give a crap about anyone if they think they can make a buck.

No...I think it's more the person that buys a cheapie at Walmart or other big-box store, doesn't bother to talk to anyone about proper technique, seen some tv show about getting rich quick, then goes at it like some panicked gopher digging for it's life. It's the same people that leave their trash at the parks and we dig it up and dispose of it properly.

I think the people who take the time in this age of technology that use the internet, glean the useful information that's available, then actually apply it, are the ones we should encourage with advice that keeps our hobby legal.

Al

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Al, Not quite surewhat you mean, you quoted my post then start talking about the new guy buyingthe cheap MD and “Respectfully” all I was trying to say is please don’t labelevery new guy to MDing, with the bunch of blithering idiots out there who haveno respect for themselves let alone anyone else. I’ve read many post in regardsto this subject and inevitably the words “new guy”, “noobie” etc. starts beingused along with “those people that buy the “Wally World” metal detectors go out and dig up the park” comments. Just saying “All New guys aren’t like that” My first detector cost me $30 used at theflea market and my most expensive one cost $250 from KellyCo. Some here label me inferior to others cause Ihave or can’t afford a thousand dollardetector as if I don’t deserve the same respect as those who can. Is that howit goes here, Maybe when or if I can afford an expensive MD, or when I haveenough post under my belt, is that when people here will consider me “one ofthe guys”? When do I stop being a newbie?? If you let it …. the entertainment media (the real cause of the threat) will divide and conquer. We need to stick together....yeah the new guys too. Craig

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hunter_463 whatever those numbers are... I couldn't agree with you more, and that may not bode well for you either :laughing7:

I think some of the testosterone levels have been failing at a rapid pace with all the recent crying on every other topic, soon enough we'll be passing out tissues to one another. Then you have the constant :boxing: over the best detector. I could care less what anyone uses, or what I use for that matter. Hey, if a 9 volt battery attached to a discarded soup can works, GREAT!!!

Oh, welcome to T-NET :tongue3:

Then you have the terms you mentioned, like new Guy, noobie, etc.. These same hooples are the one that get bent out of shape when TV shows make up their own little quirky words, and yet they don't have time to spell out a word, or use on that's in the dictionary. :laughing7:

Last edited:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
hunter_463 whatever those numbers are... I couldn't agree with you more, and that may not bode well for you either :laughing7:

I thin some of the testosterone levels have been failing at a rapid pace with all the recent crying on every other topic, soon enough we'll be passing out tissues to one another. Then you have the constant :boxing: over the best detector. I could care less what anyone uses, or what I use for that matter. Hey, if a 9 volt battery attached to a discarded soup can works, GREAT!!!

Oh, welcome to T-NET :tongue3:

Then you have the terms you mentioned, like new Guy, noobie, etc.. These same hooples are the one that get bent out of shape when TV shows make up their own little quirky words, and yet they don't have time to spell out a word, or use on that's in the dictionary. :laughing7:

Hahahahahahahaha...."9volt battery and a discarded soup can."

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Al, Not quite surewhat you mean, you quoted my post then start talking about the new guy buyingthe cheap MD and “Respectfully” all I was trying to say is please don’t labelevery new guy to MDing, with the bunch of blithering idiots out there who haveno respect for themselves let alone anyone else. I’ve read many post in regardsto this subject and inevitably the words “new guy”, “noobie” etc. starts beingused along with “those people that buy the “Wally World” metal detectors go out and dig up the park” comments. Just saying “All New guys aren’t like that” My first detector cost me $30 used at theflea market and my most expensive one cost $250 from KellyCo. Some here label me inferior to others cause Ihave or can’t afford a thousand dollardetector as if I don’t deserve the same respect as those who can. Is that howit goes here, Maybe when or if I can afford an expensive MD, or when I haveenough post under my belt, is that when people here will consider me “one ofthe guys”? When do I stop being a newbie?? If you let it …. the entertainment media (the real cause of the threat) will divide and conquer. We need to stick together....yeah the new guys too. Craig

Craig, don't worry about being called a "newbie", or the type of equipment you use. I'm a newb on here and I've been detecting since I was a kid. I got my first detector in '73, a Relco (the old timers should get a chuckle out of that). We are not worried about the new guys that are on here. Were worried about the ones who see that show (or not) that go out buy a detector and head out to the National Park/battlefield or trespass on private property. Were concerned about the ones that don't fill their holes, act like asses and are not concerned about anything but the monetary value of what they find. You certainly don't have to be a newbie to do these things, but there is a higher probability that the beginner who doesn't have the proper knowledge or guidance will. The fact that you are on this site gaining knowledge sets you apart from those people.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 2 screwed thanks for the compliments I didn't mean to go off on a tangent and I shouldn't have. I know who I am and thats what counts. The metal detecting thing is just something for me to do when I can't be in the creek prospecting. I'll have to say it's just about as fun and really a whole lot less back breaking for a not so young "newbie" to both treasure hunting hobbies. I should know by now theres always opinions and you know what they say bout that. May the Treasure Gods give one up for you.

DigImust

Jan 30, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Signs and wonders. Personally, I think you can date our societal disintegration from the whenever kids stopped saying "sir" and "mam". Leaving holes unfilled is just a logical step from that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions