jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Just what is the purpose of a "probe"?

IF you have absolutely no problem pinpointing, no matter how deep the item is. You don't really need one. But If you get alot of signals where you end up widening your holes to try and find your deeper targets, you'd find a probe makes things alot easier.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Just what is the purpose of a "probe"?

well it is used to probe the ground for a solid object. It is esp. useful when digging in parks and school yards, or shall I say on lawns of any type. It lets you know that your pinpointing is not way off and that the object is either on surface or at say 5" deep.

I always use a probe and the main reason now is to exactly mark the hot spot on my DD coil before I pull the coil away. this way i won't start the hole 3-5" off the mark and risk damaging a great coin OR just flat out digging in wrong place.

If you probe the ground and get no solid hits - you know you're way off, or probably have a big chunk of iron off to the side of PP area.

It also helps when you have a coin spill of multiple coins in same area. You can find coins that are close together under a your standard sized coil. Realize that 4-5 coins in a 8" diameter are not easy to pinpoint. And if you leave the ground looking like the Caddyshack gopher was there - you'll soon find that spot off limits to MD'ing of any kind.

I would never hunt any lawn without a coin probe. When you get done with a dig on grass - no one should know you were ever there. That's how you'd want your lawn to look... Remember the golden rule!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread