woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
What most users report is that they run in disc mode with sensitivity near max and disc level set to about 40 so you hear iron as a low tone and ferrous as VCO medium to high tone. It's talkative, so you listen and dig anything that seems to be a repeatable nonferrous signal.

For gold prospecting, search in all metals autotune mode. If you're new to gold prospecting, I recommend first go to the Fisher or Teknetics website and read the .pdf online book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF metal detector".

--Dave J.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the Tek G2 same as your Gold Bug DP
I run it sometimes as Dave J. says,its a great detector i think.All them steel pry off bottle caps that give us fits can be solved with this machine.
Say you get a good high reading high 80s low 90s as you swing the coil over the target slowly start to pull the coil to you till the target is on the front edge of the coil,if its a nonferrous/good/coin signal... #s stay the same and still sounds good...if it one of those bottle caps it will give a low iron grunt and #s start to wounder,....works good for me.
Gary G.A.P.metal

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave gave you a great setup for general hunting. It works very well setup like that! Its a great coin hunter in trash! Holler if you have questions!

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved mine, the only negative I found was it will go nuts with the slightest of EMI and I mean the slightest.

OP
OP
W

wally62us

I was wondering about my pinpointer. That would probably interfere right. Thanks to all the other post. I really appreciate all the help.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Garrett PP will not interfere with my G2 friend had one with him this week and keep it away from the coil 12" or so... or that powerfull Tek G2 will read the pinpointer as a good target.I use a Zircon M40 PP and that gets along good with the G2 too.
Gary

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Most pinpointers won't interfere unless they get within a couple feet of the searchcoil. The Garrett PP interferes with our 13 kHz machines when it's off by becoming a huge target (peculiar situation, has to do with how its transmitter tuned circuit works) but that's not an issue for the 19 kHz GB/G2.

Replying to Hosensack: the GB/G2 have a reputation for being virtually immune to electrical interference, so what you report is puzzling. I am guessing that you were fighting a specific interference source (perhaps your cellphone, they're not all the same?) that just happened to bother it, or possibly there was something wrong with your specific machine.

--Dave J.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most pinpointers won't interfere unless they get within a couple feet of the searchcoil. The Garrett PP interferes with our 13 kHz machines when it's off by becoming a huge target (peculiar situation, has to do with how its transmitter tuned circuit works) but that's not an issue for the 19 kHz GB/G2.

Replying to Hosensack: the GB/G2 have a reputation for being virtually immune to electrical interference, so what you report is puzzling. I am guessing that you were fighting a specific interference source (perhaps your cellphone, they're not all the same?) that just happened to bother it, or possibly there was something wrong with your specific machine.

--Dave J.

That could very well be, I always kept it in a chest pocket to keep it far from the coil, but there really shouldn't have been much other source as it was a wooded area in the middle of farmland...I never had any other machines give me problems while carrying it, but I have since stopped carrying it...just no longer have the GB to test the theory.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My G2 ain`t sheerd of EMI its not a issue with mine nice and quit at full gain,never very chatty,if no metal is in a plowed field All Metal full gain its not chatty,but man is it deep,wonderful detector here,and the soil is great here.
Thanks Gary

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary,.... thanks for the tip on IDing the steel bottle caps, that will come in handy....Wally,....You'll love your Gold Bug DP. I've had one a few months and I like it a lot. I picked up the extra 5" coil for it too. Use that more than the 11". I think I lose about 1" depth with it, but it's really good for working the trash and getting in between stuff. Get use to digging lots of small stuff, it's very sensitive to small objects. So you'll dig small lead shot and little screws, but that means it will pick up small pieces of necklaces and gold chain!. I found a small silver chain yesterday. It still amazes me how loud it will sound off on a six inch deep target, and when I dig the hole and I'm about to give up, I find a little clasp or a 1/4" piece of wire.....I've had Zero problems with EMI. Sometimes it will chatter a little on 100% sensitivity, but that is when there is just too big a piece of metal in the ground and the machine is just overloading on it. My Garret PP is not a problem as long as I keep it 1 foot from the coil. But my shovel is a problem if I get 1 foot from the coil, too!. My cell phone I always leave in the car. Remember, these machines have Dual Processors so they are carrying on a lot of functions FAST. Like discriminating targets and recovering in a split second. No programming to deal with, just set the machine and hunt. I typically set it at 50 in discrimination. Nickel targets and up are high sound, down to 35-40 is low sound, Iron is quiet ......If you want to have some fun get yourself a sand scoop or a small hand shovel and hit the playground, volley ball, tot lots. You can go through them fast digging sand and the Goldbug DP/Pro's are sensitive on small jewelry. Sometimes I think they respond better in the Gold range than they do in the Silver range. Very good on the relic targets. I here they ground balance right down to wet salt, but don't have any of that here. These are good machines, if you aren't finding anything with one of these,.. it's not the machine.... Happy Hunting....Cleetus

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread