How to avoid digging up electrical lines while metal detecting.

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting for over ten years, a lot more recently. I have always had it in the back of my mind everytime I dig that I may indeed be digging a potential dangerous hazard (electrical lines).

What do you guys do to avoid this? I have thought about using a pvc trowel to dig but that just wouldn't work in some of the terrain I metal detect in. If we cut or push through a live line we are toast!!!:angel7:

Anyone ever dug into a line? Any tips on how we can avoid being fried to death?

Upvote 0

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting for over ten years, a lot more recently. I have always had it in the back of my mind everytime I dig that I may indeed be digging a potential dangerous hazard (electrical lines).

What do you guys do to avoid this? I have thought about using a pvc trowel to dig but that just wouldn't work in some of the terrain I metal detect in. If we cut or push through a live line we are toast!!!:angel7:

With any submerged electric line you will have a hard time penetrating the insulation. Phone lines are another matter, but unless you wear a pacemaker you won't get a dangerous shock from them (phone lines).

In most areas, excluding recent neighborhoods, electric is above ground. If you are digging into an electric main I would hope you'd realize it before you hit copper.

DE

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here I think "code" is that any burried electric line is supposed to be two feet down. Not sure elsewhere?

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely, your MD will be going crazy or overloading if you are over live wires.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't worry at all. 90% of all electrical is overhead,and anything underground is so deep that with a standard coil type detector, you won't notice it.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some older homes didnt get buildt to code so things could be shallow...i used to burry cable for charter cable company and it was only 12 inches with the machine and 6-12 by shovel so im sure someone would be upset if you put your shovel through there cable and there tv was out all weekend... But i use the pin point on my detector and can trace things like that we would use that method from time to time while i worked at charter also and then marked it with yard paint

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the electrical at my house is under ground, and I can't even turn my detector on near it, it goes completly nuts.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
only Electrical lines I ever dug into were old. (Very Old)

in most cases while detecting look up, see if there is a pole between you & a building.
if there is, see if there is a line heading into the ground from the pole.
If there is & It's not bare it's probably not a Lightening rod.

I agree 9 out of 10, it's either going to drive your detector mad,
or be too deep, maybe even encased in pipe.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Be The Tortoise,

"toasted tortoise". :tongue1:

Sorry, could not let it go by; be safe.

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

About the only place where this would even be a concern, is *maybe* private yards of homes. Because I would assume that public utilities in public places are buried deeply. In a private yard, feeding singular lines, maybe someone didn't follow code to bury deeply? But in my 35 yrs. of this, doing 100's of yards, I've never had any such encounter. So I would not worry about it. Also: a strand of wire is hardly the signal you'd chase (it wouldn't give the type signals you're typically chasing for turf/yard hunting.) You'd have to be chasing linear faint non-pin-pointable type signals (assuming you could even hear such a signal, if it was approaching depths of 10" or more, with standard coin machines, set up in a standard way) to even hear them.

It'd have to be very shallow, and you'd have to be practically in all-metal mode, going after very unlikely signals, ignoring the fact that the signal extends in a line, etc... So it's just very unlikely to be a problem, anywhere.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't had any problem with buried lines BUT ..... OLD electric lines in attics and walls were simply seperated by about 6 inches of AIR! Close enough for a metalic digger to short out and BAM! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions