What to do when you find live rounds (Bullets)

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have seen a lot of posts lately about people finding live bullets in the ground and thinking they are dangerous.
They are not going to "explode"
You can take a live round and throw it at a concrete wall as hard as you can and it most likely won't do anything. You can throw them into a fire and you will get a "phtttt!"noise and maybe a "pop" when they ignite. The most dangerous part of doing THIS will be the fragments of copper,and only for about ten feet.
It takes the impact of a small object deep into the primer pocket to get the primer to ignite the gunpowder.
Bullets without the support of the chamber of a firearm are just not that dangerous. The danger comes from when the "flash" of the powder (Modern gunpowder doesn't explode,it just ignites fast) while confined in the steel of a firearm chamber.
Think of it as a firecracker. If you have one in the flat of your hand,with your palm open,when it explodes, (yes it will HURT and cause burns) the force is directed outwards. However CLOSE the same hand,and you will probably lose fingers.

If you find live rounds and are still afraid that they are dangerous,soak them in WD40 for a a few weeks, (this will penetrate the primer,making it inert) and throw them in the trash.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff, was that your house I got em from???????????????

Shove found brass up the local gang bangers exhaust as far sa you can get it. Used to use an old freshwater rod to shove .38 up the kids loud exhaust down the street. If you can get em up the pipe far enough they'll cook off. Almost as funny as a healthy squirt of olive oil! They'll think they toasted their engine.

Lol. Doesn't sound very safe but I still got a chuckle out of it. What can you do with olive oil?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From your mom!

Yeah I told her to quit selling those pics, the old scam artist.
Beware,, it is not a one of a kind, I know she didn't tell you,, but she prints them out in bulk.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I fired my first gun a 22mag at five years old. A guy I know put a 30.06 thru his foot unloading it, this guy was le too, go figure.

OP
OP
Diggit

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I fired my first gun a 22mag at five years old. A guy I know put a 30.06 thru his foot unloading it, this guy was le too, go figure.
Some of the worst gunhandling and shooting I have ever seen was by law enforcement. People assume that because they have a gun,they know how to use it. This is FAR from the truth. Most cops shoot the bare minimum to qualify out of fear of being called "gung ho" or "gun nuts" by other cops.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the worst gunhandling and shooting I have ever seen was by law enforcement. People assume that because they have a gun,they know how to use it. This is FAR from the truth. Most cops shoot the bare minimum to qualify out of fear of being called "gung ho" or "gun nuts" by other cops.

I agree about bad gunhandling and shooting by some cops. Just because you are hired as a cop doesn't mean you are inherently talented, just skilled enough to pass the exam, and then maybe the department didn't insist they stay that way. This is not good. I don't know how widespread that is, but I do know around here that's not the case. Furthermore, I have some exposure to local law enforcement, and I've never heard that attitude here. Firearms proficiency is looked up to, but also being a cowboy is not. There is a huge difference. It's called being professional, and it's a management philosophy that indicates whether the department is successful or unsuccessful.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like bullets.

-Ammo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread