Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: What to do when you find live rounds (Bullets)

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    549 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave44 View Post
    Drill the primer? That sounds like a step below strike the primer with a nail and hammer. I have not drilled one, but I did hit a 509 primer when I was a kid. (I was a bit too inquisitive back then). It was suprising for anyone interested finding stupid and dangerous things to do.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curiousity.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	631428

This is not a criticism; more like reminiscing................. I love this picture!
    Last edited by Bum Luck; May 01, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

Jan 2012
    Winchester VA
    This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
    61 times
    Relic Hunting
    I don't think that anything engineered by a human being with the intent to kill another human being should ever be taken lightly.
    calisdad likes this.
    "Its a lot better for em to ask ya how ya doin than whatcha doin" -Tom Dickey

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    699 times
    Ok, here's my dumb story..... Let me start by saying I do know my firearms and ammunition quite well and I definitely know how to handle them.

So anyway, a few years ago I was sitting around bored to death on a rainy day, and I saw a picture of a trench art style steam locomotive made out of mainly a .50 cal shell, with parts of other shells used for the wheels and smokestack and cab and all that...... Sooooooo I decided that looked neat, grabbed an empty .50 brass I had in a box, and some other shells and my propane torch and solder. Now, when I started out here, I looked at the primer on that .50, and it looked fired. The shell was empty, and I had no reason to assume otherwise so I started in with the dremel and the torch happily soldering away until BANG!.........The primer blasted out of the shell, went through my Carhartt pants and hit me on the inside of my left knee. That sucker hurt when it hit, and when I went to look to see how bad the bruise was going to be, I found a nice hole in my leg about half an inch deep with most of the primer in it! I got it out with tweezers, and bandaged myself up (lots of first aid training) but that was the end of my funtime project for the rainy day.....I just really didn't feel like working on it anymore for some reason.

Now, all I can figure is that this shell was from a dud round that someone had taken apart for some reason. It sure looked fired to me, but it was definitely live. I never in a million years would have expected that primer to pop, and that was pretty much the end of my trench art career for now anyway. Of course I'm sure this is a one in a million deal and it's very unlikely to ever happen again, but I learned to be a bit more careful that day, so if I ever decide to try again, I'll make sure that primer is a dead as can be!
    Last edited by NOLA_Ken; May 01, 2012 at 07:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    aquachigger likes this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    1437 times
    HEY Bum Luck!!! Where did you get that pic of me!!!

Yeah I did similar things like that too.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    I wanna say Halloween Treats !

but someone may take me seriously.
    Hey Jeff, was that your house I got em from

Shove found brass up the local gang bangers exhaust as far sa you can get it. Used to use an old freshwater rod to shove .38 up the kids loud exhaust down the street. If you can get em up the pipe far enough they'll cook off. Almost as funny as a healthy squirt of olive oil! They'll think they toasted their engine.
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

us
    Melissa

Aug 2005
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
    78 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
    Hey Jeff, was that your house I got em from

Shove found brass up the local gang bangers exhaust as far sa you can get it. Used to use an old freshwater rod to shove .38 up the kids loud exhaust down the street. If you can get em up the pipe far enough they'll cook off. Almost as funny as a healthy squirt of olive oil! They'll think they toasted their engine.

Lol. Doesn't sound very safe but I still got a chuckle out of it. What can you do with olive oil?

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    549 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave44 View Post
    HEY Bum Luck!!! Where did you get that pic of me!!!

Yeah I did similar things like that too.
    From your mom!
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." — Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

Charter Member
    us
    Living the WP

Apr 2006
    Chesterfield, Va.
    Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
    1437 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bum Luck View Post
    From your mom!
    Yeah I told her to quit selling those pics, the old scam artist.
    Beware,, it is not a one of a kind, I know she didn't tell you,, but she prints them out in bulk.

us
    what hath god wrought

Feb 2009
    Gateway to the 1000 Islands
    Sometime(s)
    647 times
    tectin crap
    I fired my first gun a 22mag at five years old. A guy I know put a 30.06 thru his foot unloading it, this guy was le too, go figure.
    Federal Bureau of Governmental Redundancy Reduction Agency

us
    It's dangerous to be right when those with a thimbleful of perceived authority are wrong.

Mar 2012
    Michigan
    White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
    121 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by gleaner1 View Post
    I fired my first gun a 22mag at five years old. A guy I know put a 30.06 thru his foot unloading it, this guy was le too, go figure.
    Some of the worst gunhandling and shooting I have ever seen was by law enforcement. People assume that because they have a gun,they know how to use it. This is FAR from the truth. Most cops shoot the bare minimum to qualify out of fear of being called "gung ho" or "gun nuts" by other cops.

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    549 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggit View Post
    Some of the worst gunhandling and shooting I have ever seen was by law enforcement. People assume that because they have a gun,they know how to use it. This is FAR from the truth. Most cops shoot the bare minimum to qualify out of fear of being called "gung ho" or "gun nuts" by other cops.
    I agree about bad gunhandling and shooting by some cops. Just because you are hired as a cop doesn't mean you are inherently talented, just skilled enough to pass the exam, and then maybe the department didn't insist they stay that way. This is not good. I don't know how widespread that is, but I do know around here that's not the case. Furthermore, I have some exposure to local law enforcement, and I've never heard that attitude here. Firearms proficiency is looked up to, but also being a cowboy is not. There is a huge difference. It's called being professional, and it's a management philosophy that indicates whether the department is successful or unsuccessful.

Charter Member

Apr 2012
    Desert
    Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
    242 times
    I like bullets.

-Ammo
    -- Ammo

"A man who has lived in many places is not likely to be deceived by the local errors of his native village; the scholar has lived in many times and is therefore in some degree immune from the great cataract of nonsense that pours from the press and the microphone of his own age."

~ C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

“Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
    Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?”

~ T.S. Eliot, The Rock

Jul 2005
    Napoleon MI 49201
    Garrett
    20 times
    What Bull frogs? Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors