My first Indian head Penny last night

thearchivedept

Greenie
Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi all,
haven't posted in a while just thought I would share here. In my town they are digging up and replacing sidewalks in older part of town. I really haven't been able to always get there while its exposed. I happen to come across a section last evening about 745 it was almost dark. I could not see %#^ I got a signal right on top of the ground all i could do is use my pinpointer (kellyco bundled in one garret is on my wish list) to find it put it in my pocket and move on.It got too dark, went to dinner with wife looked in my pocket didn't see anything. I had made mistake of putting find in with my normal everyday change. When I got home to really empty my pockets I found the coin, dirty as all heck. rinsed it off as best I could could tell it wasn't a Lincoln and was floored to find it was an 1885 Indian Head. My first. !!!! May not be most valuable but cool find for me.
Just thought I would share. Thanks everyone for all the tips It can "payoff" . No one in my household ever even seen such a coin. It is fun to share some history with others and start thinking about the person that might of lost it back then . Did their mom yell at their for losing such an amount? Did someone lose on way to church? How much would a penny buy in late 1800's? This hobby brings up all sorts of thoughts and strange/different emotions sometimes .
Billy

Upvote 0

Xhunter911

Mar 28, 2012
Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett freedom III coin commander
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats to you Billy!!! HH

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one Billy, good story. It seems the first one opens the door for more.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only found one IH in over 40 years of hunting. Guess it just isn't my kind of coin. Hope you find more! TTC

OP
OP
T

thearchivedept

Greenie
Dec 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all the congrats. Went back to same spot yesterday after I posted and there were 5 construction fellows there waiting for the concrete truck. Didn't feel it was in my best interest to pick up where I left off. Sometimes it is opportunity of a lifetime.
Billy

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Good for you, I always love seeing the purty patina on a freshly dug Indian Head.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions