Jovan421

Greenie
Apr 16, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quickly found out that I am going to need a pinpointer when metal detecting in soil. I am a newb learning the ropes. I have a bounty hunter tracker IV now im looking for a pinpointer. I know about the Garrett pinpointer pro but its just way out of my price range. I dont want to pay more for a pinpointer than i did for my detector. Im trying to go and cheap as possible for now until i really get the hang of it and have more time to hunt. I saw a video of a guy who used a studfinder as a pin pointer any one else doing this? thanks

Upvote 0

shoot

Mar 28, 2012
IL,FL,CA,AZ,VA,PA,MI,CO - I get around.
Detector(s) used
BH Tracker IV , Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quickly found out that I am going to need a pinpointer when metal detecting in soil. I am a newb learning the ropes. I have a bounty hunter tracker IV now im looking for a pinpointer. I know about the Garrett pinpointer pro but its just way out of my price range. I dont want to pay more for a pinpointer than i did for my detector. Im trying to go and cheap as possible for now until i really get the hang of it and have more time to hunt. I saw a video of a guy who used a studfinder as a pin pointer any one else doing this? thanks

Just pony up and buy the Garrett, if you end up buying 2 cheap ones or a cheap-o and then get a much better one you will just about equal or be over the price of a good one from the start.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save the clad you find, you'll be able to afford a Pro Pointer before you know it!

The cheap ones tend to break alot.

Wayne

New Direction

Apr 10, 2012
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no problem using a cen-tech from harbor freight. But I upgraded the switch, removed the led, removed the speaker and replaced it with a vibrator. I wouldnt recomend it unless you can atleast upgrade the switch.

It sure beats the piss out of my bounty hunter PP. Check out youtube reviews it reaches almost as far as the garrett.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jovan
go to Lowe`s or Home Depo and order a Zircon M40 Metalliscanner it gets Picture 69.jpg 2" on non ferrous 4" on ferrous the cost $30.00 works great had mine for 1 year built tough....Go to Zircon.com choose the M40 and watch the video

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Save up the money and buy the Pro Pointer. I bought a much cheaper one from Kellyco and within a month was buying the Garrett. You WILL see a difference and
find the items much faster.

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I just bought this one from amazon for $30 (free shipping), will post back once it gets here and I use it a couple of times.

Jovan
go to Lowe`s or Home Depo and order a Zircon M40 Metalliscanner it gets View attachment 627978 2" on non ferrous 4" on ferrous the cost $30.00 works great had mine for 1 year built tough....Go to Zircon.com choose the M40 and watch the video

Steviecop

Greenie
Apr 16, 2012
Haddon Heights NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exploer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the Bounty Hunter pinpointer and broke the battery cover the first day. Now I have a rubber band holding it on. I am kinda happy with it but will probably get a garrett eventually. Got mine on ebay for like $40. I think

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 40 bucks on the bounty hunter and its sitting on my desk i took the battery out and used it in my pro pointer....anything other then the pro pointer is a waste of time and money in my book

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a 2nd pro pointer in the mail today for my lady to use if she wants to go hunting with me.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Propointer All the Way!!! Reds Is Ordered, The only Hiccup Is they Are On Back order Garrets Just sent Me A Response!!!! Aproximently Three Weeks Be Paitent They are worth it !!! I Have One And Wont Hunt Without It Chug Even though I Have to Share!!!! Chug :BangHead:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else hunt with friends that are always wanting to use your pro pointer instead of there 20 dollar special? lol

W

wally62us

I use the Vibra Quatic 2 It works really well. But I am pretty new to the game. Just found out about big boys hobbies on this site. Wish I would have know soon. I would have ordered all my stuff through them.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Propointer All the Way!!! Reds Is Ordered, The only Hiccup Is they Are On Back order Garrets Just sent Me A Response!!!! Aproximently Three Weeks Be Paitent They are worth it !!! I Have One And Wont Hunt Without It Chug Even though I Have to Share!!!! Chug :BangHead:

Prior to ordering mine I kept seeing posts about them being back ordered but I called KellyCo and they had them in stock so I got mine in under a week.

Anyone else hunt with friends that are always wanting to use your pro pointer instead of there 20 dollar special? lol

I've never hunted with anyone yet except my girlfriend and I just couldn't let her use a crappy pinpointer so I let her have the Garrett. I walked over to her many times to borrow it. :icon_pirat:

The second one will serve as a backup and also for buddies to use. If I take someone out hunting I want them to have a good experience and not mess around with a cheap pinpointer that I wouldn't even use.

skipperdun

Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
ace 250, at pro, garrett 1500, troy x5, mine lab etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go to harbor freight and buy a centech, works like a whites bullseye, when it quits buy another and repeat until you can buy a garrett pro pointer, does any one use the nickle trick for extending the range of a propointer?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

Pinpointers are good I know it but I still aint got one. Cuts recovery time in half at least, especially on brown coins you cant see easily. Garrett all the way, well worth the price. Harbor Freight gets decent reviews, I might try that for my first one. I tend to lose stuff like magnets and probes and flashlights, even diggers.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For near the surface coins my ProPointer can pick up the coins up to several inches deep. I was detecting with just my ProPointer underneath some virgin benches and finding coin after coin. Even though it cost 3/4 the price of my Ace 250, it was so worth it. The hobby is way more enjoyable with a pinpointer!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pinpointers are good I know it but I still aint got one. Cuts recovery time in half at least, especially on brown coins you cant see easily. Garrett all the way, well worth the price. Harbor Freight gets decent reviews, I might try that for my first one. I tend to lose stuff like magnets and probes and flashlights, even diggers.
I depend on the pro pointer to much to loose it. Now I dig everything that sounds good and don't worry about trash. It is so fast I can find more and dig trash too. Finally I can pop coins, Pulltabs out of the ground with a screwdriver. The trick is knowing where it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread