Lightning?

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!

Years ago I was obsessed with getting photos of lightning especially lightning hitting in Philadelphia. I was across the Delaware River on the NJ side trying to get the shot. I've been on roof tops as storms approached, in fire towers made of steel and other insane places. I've never been afraid of lightning!

Now I'm wondering if a MD would attract a strike?

Knowing myself I wouldn't put it past me to go out in a storm & hunt the beach.

What do you think?

Upvote 0

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not going to wave (in my case carbon fiber rod) around in a thunder storm. I've been out in thunders storms taking pictures of lightning. One storm I was within 300 feet of 3 strikes in less than a minute. That's when I decided it was time to get back in my truck. Then the gazebo I was standing under was hit. That was one hell of a storm. Turns out there was a tornado near by. I had to drive 30 miles out of the way because of all the limbs that were down. I managed to get a few ok pictures too.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I doubt it will. If anything,the ACT of detecting would make you more susceptible. (Walking in the open during a T storm) But a detector itself wouldn't "attract" lightning.

Funny thing, I was dirtfishing the other day, and a storm started approaching. I was getting bursts of static that corresponded with lightning flashes in my headphones as I walked back to the vehicle to get out of it.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer lightning hit about 50 feet away from me and started a fire in the neighbor's yard. First thing I did was run and bang on their door and head back for a hose. The fire department got there after we had the fire out. The last thing I did was come inside so I could change my drawers.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont play out in lightnin' storms. Dat's what my mom always said. But this is the woman that always told me to crank up my Black Sabbath Paranoid album, she would say "toyn it up, an' aw da way!". She especially relished Planet Caravan.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doubtful. Maybe if you stood in a field and waved it over your head. Yes, the coil coax is a path of less resistance, but how far the lightning might travel to save three feet of airspace is likely pretty limited.

Remember, lightning travels from the ground up. So, if the hair on your arms and head stands on end it might be a good idea to drop the detector and flop on the ground. ;-)

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!

Years ago I was obsessed with getting photos of lightning especially lightning hitting in Philadelphia. I was across the Delaware River on the NJ side trying to get the shot. I've been on roof tops as storms approached, in fire towers made of steel and other insane places. I've never been afraid of lightning!

Now I'm wondering if a MD would attract a strike?

Knowing myself I wouldn't put it past me to go out in a storm & hunt the beach.

What do you think?

I'm not sure if the metal detector would attract lightning or not but you better have your camera ready if it does or you're gonna be awfully PO'd.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know about a metal detector but i had lightning strike so close to my jeep wrangler that the fillings in my teeth got really hot .... i dont care for lightning anymore

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was detecting a NC beach a few years ago. I could see the storm coming... my PI machine was telling me it was violent... but I stayed. When I got dumped on, I got under a wooden walkway that ended at the beach. Lightning was striking the sand within 30/50 feet of me. Many times. I tried to dig a hole and become VERY, VERY small. You don't want to stay on a beach in a violent thunderstorm EVER! Got it? Never! It is not worth it. TTC

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Lightning is nothing to fool with. It can reach out from a distant storm, about 10 miles, and zap you. You could be standing in the bright sun light and get hit. When detecting and a storm containing lightning is in the area your best bet is to call it a day and leave.

rickjr

Jul 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lightning seeks the path of least resistance and if you and your medal detector are it then you will be struck. If you are out and a storm comes up and you can hear the thunder you can be struck by the lightning. When I lived in Atlanta I was talking on my phone in my house and lightning struck the house. I just happened to be leaning on the kitchen sink and was struck as well, it did $8000 in damage to the house. At the time I was working for Bellsouth and knew better than to be on the phone during a lightning storm, but you know how it is you never think it will happen to you. So, if your hear thunder my recommendation is head for shelter and not a tree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread