What would you think?

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All!
If you bought a brand new detector from what is known as a reputable dealer and...

1. A few of the parts the instructions say to install are already installed and there are duplicates of those parts in the package and...

2. The detector instructions say to not store the battery pack in the MD and...

3. There is a battery pack in the MD with dead throw away batteries and...

4. The battery pack is missing a piece of foam rubber at the connecting point and...

5. There is another battery pack in a closed sealed box with a charger and rechargable batteries and...

The MD does not work!

What would you think?

Would you think that the dealer sold you a detector that was returned and defective?

Then they claim that they NEVER resell used and or defective detectors!

Then when you want a refund they will not refund the shipping charges!

This is what happened to me!

What do you think?

Upvote 0

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
nickmarch, I enjoyed your post. It's not always necessary to get even with a seller. Your patience was rewarded.

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nickmarch, I enjoyed your post. It's not always necessary to get even with a seller. Your patience was rewarded.

I really didn't have any reason to get even. They screwed up, admitted it and gave a refund in full including shipping. I'm actually glad it happened. I bought a different detector locally and couldn't be happier with it's performance.

iamfree

May 1, 2012
nowhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that doesnt really sound right?... i would assume anybody would disclose the dealer, especially if its a mail order dealer, as there is probably no intimate relationship.....maybe if it was "old joe" in the down the street mom and pop sports store you've known for years, but some random online/mail order dealer....a discloser just makes normal sense

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
I have a story about a large distributer and a 5 year warranty that involves paying for repairs...... When I bought my Minelab Safari from KellyCo(the biggest dealership I know of), I was given the chance to purchase another for a fraction of the cost(BOGO-Buy One Get One). So, wanting to try and cover all possible environments I'd come across, I opted for the newer Cobra fully immersible detector. I got the Minelab shipped directly to me in Korea and the Cobra went to my wife in the states. She tucked it away in a closet and I didn't end up trying it out for a few years. Now keep in mind that detectors sold by kellyCO come with a 5 year warranty. So, about a month ago I'm getting ready to go on a club hunt and decided to bring both detectors(it was supposed to rain). I decided to set it up for action and stow it in the back seat of the truck, but when I tried using it I couldn't get ANY depth out of it with brand new batteries. So, when I got home I called KellyCO. They said that for $99.95 I could send it in to have it repaired. I couldn't do that right then, but said I wanted to trade it in. Got to talking with my wife and remembered that I might still have a warranty for it, so I called them back. They said it WAS still under warranty, but that it would still cost me $99.95 and this time the representative said that they don't repair them but instead replace them. :icon_scratch: I questioned them about their used detectors as they also stated that they don't refurbish detectors at KellyCO.... ???. Now, I'm confused here. What good is a 5 year warranty for if I have to pay to get the detector fixed when it wasn't used? They could look/examine it when it got to their warehouse and they'd be able to tell that other than the one time I took it out to try it, it hadn't been used at all. And I have to pay to get it fixed when it was broken to begin with....AND this is KellyCO

tomjiggy

Sep 18, 2010
I almost forgot, I paid an extra $169 purchasing it(at BOGO price) so if I send it in to fix it, that'll come to $268 on a detector I won't be able to sell for $250 once it's fixed. I've since looked at it on KellyCO and they're on sale for $249....go figure.

pumice

Dec 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well,
There you have it...one of the pitfalls of buying over the internet were you can not actually see/hold/examine what you are buying...........convenient, but........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread