New to MD, opinions please

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I am interested in MD, but have never owned a detector. I live in Skippack, Pa. There are many old farmhouses around here, Washington's encampment in the Rev. war (Evansburg State Park) marched up and down Rt. 73. to the battle of Germantown and back. There are old trolley lines no longer used. Basically, it is an area that could yield many different things, including caches. I want a decent detector that could pick up various items at a depth of maybe 6-8 inches. My budget would be in the $150-250 range.
Any opinions/suggestions are appreciated.
Jim

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would find out if there's a detecting club nearby and find out what works best in your area. Its hard for someone who lives at the other end of the country to give a real opinion. I moved less than a hundred miles once and needed to change detectors as my best where I had lived now became rather poor.

Do consider if you want a new detector. Go secondhand and you will get so much more and with some makes the balance of the warrantry will be transferred or if you go with a dealer most should offer a warranty of at least a few months or will even allow a swap if you really don't get on with your first pick.

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First welcome to T-net

Your question has been the subject of numerous threads on T-net over the years and you may be able to find some of those threads.

Most people will probably tell you that's a pretty low price range but I personally think its the right place to start. It's not so low that you cant get something decent and not so high that you will wind up with one too complicated to begin with or heaven forbid you decide you don't like detecting, you aren't out much money, and really most detectors sell used for not much less than new although if you are thinking about saving a few bucks by buying used remember that in most cases used means no factory warranty.

A lot of people start with the Garrett ACE 250. ($212 on Amazon)They all seem to like it and Garrett has great customer service.

I started with the Fisher F2 ($200 with one coil, $215 with a 4" & 8" coil plus a basic pin pointer, $275 with 4" & 10" coil, they also have an 11" DD coil available) I don't know about Fishers customer service because I haven't tried to use it yet. I got the F2 because it had decent depth for a lower end detector but is very simple to use and for the price of the ACE came with an extra coil (good for high trash areas) and pin pointer. In under a year I found enough with it to justify upgrading my pinpointer to the Garrett Pro-Pointer ($127). I also found enough to pay for a Garrett AT Pro ($600 ish) but I'm waiting for one more big find before I make that leap.;D The AT Pro has been another source of heated discussions here too.

All of that being said I really like my F2. I get good depth, although not the kind of depth more expensive detectors get but I can get a dime at 6" and bigger stuff like aluminum cans at 12" or more. It pinpoints real well and seems to find whatever is there. It didn't come with headphones and they really are important but I found a pair cheap at a thrift store with independent volume control which is important because the detector itself doesn't have volume control (I don't think the ACE does either)

Guess that pretty much covers everything I have to say
HH
Cranky

OP
OP
S

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. For just starting out, I did not want to spend too much and buy something that is difficult to master. I just want a decent all around detector that is fairly easy to use, although I know that means I will be digging my fair share of garbage.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
S

sciflyer25

Nov 22, 2011
Montco, PA
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After scouring these forums, which are very informative and helpful, it looks like the Tesoro's are highly regarded.. I may have to up my budget and consider the Vaquero - bigger brother of the Compadre and Silver umax.
The Fisher F2 looks okay, but seems to lack ground balancing, and soil mineralization could be an issue.
Jim

bountyhunter

Dec 8, 2005
Rising Sun, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett 550, Garrett Gold Scorpion, Bountyhunter 220
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in northern md. in cecil cty.. Let me know if you want to metal detect.. Bountyhunter metal detector is the way to go price wise.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cant beat an ace 250

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like my old Tesoro Silver Sabre (I got another one for $50 on Craigslist). It's a nice simple to operate machine, but still a good one. My other old one is a Tesoro Golden Sabre. What I like about that is the discrimination knob turns up, and I've got pop tabs marked on it. Saves a lot of digging. I found one on the 'net for $185.

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After scouring these forums, which are very informative and helpful, it looks like the Tesoro's are highly regarded.. I may have to up my budget and consider the Vaquero - bigger brother of the Compadre and Silver umax.
The Fisher F2 looks okay, but seems to lack ground balancing, and soil mineralization could be an issue.
Jim

I have to admit my F2 doesn't like wet wood chips in tot lots, I usually have to turn the sensitivity down to 2 before it stops acting up but then it seems to work quite well and I find coins all the way to the bottom of the chips without a problem. In most other places I can run it with the sensitivity turned all the way up without a problem. This includes the beach as well as just about everywhere else.
I don't know anything about the Tesoro but that lifetime warranty sure looks appealing verses the 5 years fisher gives and the 2 years with Garrett but I know Garretts customer service rocks.
I lurked on T-net for years reading forums before I even joined, it was a great help. Picking a detector can be very daunting and everybody has their favorite. Once you have made up your mind and committed it takes time and patience to learn your detector, even with a basic model. You can get frustrated very easily at first but you have to stick with it. One other thing is think about getting a pinpointer. Most of the companies sell a cheap one like the Fisher F-point but the harbor freight one works pretty good. I think the best one is the Garrett Pro Pointer. Most people, including myself, love it but at $130 it's a bit much to start off with but well worth the money.
Guess that's all I have to say about that. :tongue3:

badger

Mar 7, 2012
Divide, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go ahead and spend another 150 bucks and pick up a good Vaquero. It's an excellent choice. Don't take my word for it, ask anyone.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^^ not bad for the 700th post aye?

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always had a lot of success with the Tesoro Bandito and the BH Land Star. These days, I really like my Garrett Ace250. I like the mode settings on the Garrett better than the notch features of the Land Star. The Time Ranger "sniffer" function to set your "notches" was a great feature. I could never get used to the little antenna on the casing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread