What is the best detector in the 300 to 400 dollar range?

SaskTreasurehunter

Apr 24, 2012
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/4.5 Sniper Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going in the water you will want a waterproof detector, one slip and you will ruin a non waterproof detector..... Tesoro Vaquero is not waterproof.....

The first mistake a newbie makes is thinking they can buy one detector that does it all for $300-$400..... Pick a style you will do most often to begin with and tailor your detector towards that to start off..... What will 75% of your hunting be?

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vaqueros are really awesome machines and can do just about everything you was saying. The coil and shaft are water proof but one big slip and it is toast if the brain gets wet! Another detector that comes to mind is the garret at pro. It has had some mixed reviews but from what I have read they worked out the kinks. It has a ton of bells and whistles if thats your thing and is slightly more expensive than the vaq. For me I have realized that in a lot of cases less is more. If you buy a metal detector that is really good at a few things instead of one that claims it can do it ALL you usually wont be disapointed. Basically what treasure hunter already said.

badger

Mar 7, 2012
Divide, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero is the only way to go. Don't worry about the water thing. It's a no issue. All Tesoro coils are completely waterproof. However the "V" was not designed for water, it's a great lake shore and beach detector.
You can pick up a good used Vaquero for around 300 bucks.

OP
OP
SaskTreasurehunter

SaskTreasurehunter

Apr 24, 2012
Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/4.5 Sniper Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THX For your help. I will mostly be relic hunting about 70% of the time,25%in parks, and the other 5% on the beach.

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THX For your help. I will mostly be relic hunting about 70% of the time,25%in parks, and the other 5% on the beach.

Well my Vaquero hasn't let me down and I hunt for it all, relics, jewelry, coins etc. It might just be what you are looking for. I forgot to mention that the Garret AT Pro is also waterproof up to ten feet. Now if they made a waterproof vaquero that would absolutely rock! :headbang:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use that vaquero at a salt water beach you better bag it, it isnt just the water that will hurt it, is the the salt mist in the air..... You will be surprised how much salt mist is in the air at a salt water beach...... People dont think about it, they think I'm not in the water so it is alright when in fact it isnt.....

Stand Watie

Mar 24, 2012
Greenwood SC
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure Hunter is spot on about the salt mist. I haven't ruined a detector on the beach since I don't have one yet, but I have ruined a fishing reel that way. I once used a reel that wasn't made for salt water fishing by fishing in the ocean with it. I rinsed the line and spool off with fresh water when I got done fishing, then sat the rod and reel in the closet. A week or so later when I went fishing again the reel handle wouldn't turn, it was locked up tight. I took the side off the reel and the gears were literally welded together with rust. Just rinsing the spool and line off wasn't enough cleaning. The air and mist near the ocean gets inside the gears while your fishing. I learned my lesson on that and afterwards I always took the reel apart and washed the gears and everything out really good with fresh water, then I re-oiled and greased it. Later when I acquired enough money I bought a reel specifically made for salt water. It had all stainless steel gears etc. But I still cleaned it good after fishing in the ocean just to be on the safe side. I've also seen some really nice shotguns ruined when duck hunting the salt marshes by that salt mist. The guns never got a drop of salt water on them but that mist rusted them terribly.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stand Watie ... I agree 100%. I took my mountain bike down to the shore on vacation for a week. I never got it in the salt water. The mist and salt in the air really can cause some damage. You can tell with the 'film' you get on it after a few days. The bike had a ton of rust on it when I got home. I kept it outside on my porch every day for a year and it got rained on and it barely had some surface rust on certain parts. One week at the beach was worse than 1 year on my porch.

Imagine what the salt mist and salt in the air does to the electronics in your detector?.... wow!

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sask if the only water you will be around will be lakes (as you said), just about any detector will be fine just don't drop it in the water. If you are going treasure hunting in the sea then you need a complete different machine as these guys have already stated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread