Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Coinstriking Michigan
  • 1 Post By Coinstriking Michigan

Thread: ANyone tried to make this coin popper?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2012
    The Deep South :)
    Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
    18 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

ANyone tried to make this coin popper?

Has anyone tried to make something similar to what this guy has? He sells them for $100.00 and I think I could probably make one for far less. I saw one fellow on youtube try to make a handheld one out of a caulking gun but it was just not ideal. Using one's weight to cut the plug is far more convenient\

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    I think they are good in theory but not that practical compared to just cutting a flap plug with a hand trowel. Not all pinpoints are dead on a I think this is more trouble than what it's worth.
    Sandman likes this.
    Why do they call it "Taking a dump" when you're actually leaving one?

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    327 times
    I wouldnt like to carry that thing around myself ill stick with the lesche

us
    May 2010
    CTX3030, XP Deus, Fisher CZ-3D, Tek Omega
    58 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Not for the deep stuff......but would probably work well for shallow targets if the ground was soft enough. Could be a real knee saver too. Doesn't look like there are any on ebay at the moment, though. They either sold out.......or didn't sell.

us
    Apr 2012
    18 times
    Yeah Mrwilburino the knee thing is why I am interested in it. I wouldn't use it everywhere but in fields I think it would work real good. If I made one I would make it slightly deeper. Looks like it would be a lot more cleaner, easier on the knees, faster target recovery as long as you pinpoint it right on and it would almost look like no one was there after you put the plug back in.

It wouldn't work in hard, dry terrain. It would probably make scanning fields a lot faster so you can hit more targets.

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    Cutting a full plug though almost always results in the plug of grass dying and turning brown. I always use the trap door method and it seems to keep the grass alive.
    Sandman likes this.

us
    Apr 2012
    18 times
    Yeah I have heard about this but never seen any signs that its true. Not saying you are wrong because it makes sense. Maybe only use this in forgotten field where no one cares what the grass looks like. I see you use a whites 5900 di pro sl coinstriking. I rcently sold mine. It was a great machine but so dang big. I may get a 6000 pro xl in the future. did you pick that detector because you like it specifically or because you couldnt find a 6000 pro xl? just wondering

us
    Apr 2012
    Tesoro Bandito II, Garrett Ace 250, BH LandStar, Time Rander, Discovery 3000, Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, QuickDrawII, Fisher F2.
    38 times
    Metal Detecting
    I have a sod plug cutter that I use on rare occasion, but it works perfectly when used properly. Many years ago I was a PGA greenskeeper, so I have cut many a plug.
    Dig-It!

us
    Apr 2012
    18 times
    Do you have to squat down and push it with your hand or can you step on it like this guy. Using your weight one time to cut the entire plug is a big plus to me.
    Don't worry, be happy

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay of MS View Post
    Yeah I have heard about this but never seen any signs that its true. Not saying you are wrong because it makes sense. Maybe only use this in forgotten field where no one cares what the grass looks like. I see you use a whites 5900 di pro sl coinstriking. I rcently sold mine. It was a great machine but so dang big. I may get a 6000 pro xl in the future. did you pick that detector because you like it specifically or because you couldnt find a 6000 pro xl? just wondering
    I got it on a trade, never used it much because I got the Eagle Spectrum around the same time and find it to be superior to the 5900 at least for me. I just sold the 5900 yesterday actually.

us
    Aug 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    White's Vision, White's 6000DI Pro
    37 times
    Lousy technique. First clod of dirt he tosses, drops a couple more pieces in the hole and drops the grass on top of a half full hole.

You better be darn good at pinpointing with that thing and I agree, the only places for that would be a moist lawn type situation. I personally wouldn't walk around with both hands full the whole time. Like the conveniance of my trusty ww2 knife in my back pocket.

Go to a hardware store and buy a bulb planter....they have em with long handles like that probably less than 20 bucks.

Al
    I think...therefore I am.

us
    Apr 2012
    18 times
    hmmmm bulb planter never heard of that. I will have to look into that. It looked to me that he put every bit of dirt back in that he removed. Not much more you can do than that unless you wanna bring extra dirt lol. thanks for the info
    Don't worry, be happy

us
    May 2010
    CTX3030, XP Deus, Fisher CZ-3D, Tek Omega
    58 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Name:  plugger2.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  5.5 KB

Bond Garden Tools. Six dollars at the local discount store. Kinda large to be carrying around the local park. On the other hand, would come in handy for fighting off crackheads and homeless people.

us
    Aug 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    White's Vision, White's 6000DI Pro
    37 times
    I stand corrected. Looked like he tossed it...just waved it over the coil....my bad.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Jay of MS View Post
    hmmmm bulb planter never heard of that. I will have to look into that. It looked to me that he put every bit of dirt back in that he removed. Not much more you can do than that unless you wanna bring extra dirt lol. thanks for the info
    I think...therefore I am.

us
    Aug 2008
    Under the Trees
    11 times
    Cutting a full plug though almost always results in the plug of grass dying and turning brown. I always use the trap door method and it seems to keep the grass alive.
    If the plug is deep (deeper than the roots) and C shaped, the grass will not die unless you're hunting in a drought.

I've seen several very nice coins ruined with a popper. People just assume if it's an inch, it's clad. Not always.

us
    Apr 2012
    18 times
    Yeah I am sure one could damage rings or valuble coins if their pin pointing is off. I would use this for fast scans in fields to see what the field is producing. This would be my TV dinner technique instead of Thanksgiving when I don't have a lot of time to burn. Also If I have been detecting all day and I am worn out this would be a last ditch effort to stay in the field. It looks like it isn't that heavy.
    Last edited by Jay of MS; Apr 29, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Don't worry, be happy

Apr 2012
    These are the same thing that is used on a golf course for making the holes and the grass won't die either. I can't tell you how many golf cup holes I have cut and replaced and the grass never dies. there is a small ring but that is from the use of the cup on the green. The cups get changed out every day on most golf courses. The tool for a golf course is prolly bigger but they are heavy and you have to work them a little more not sure of the dimensions of this one or its weight. It wouldn't work for me as I am still having trouble pin pointing.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1676 times
    Using this or any digging tool in my county parks or state parks can get you a nice ticket as I know hunters that got tickets for carrying a lesche.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors