Newbie...

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
...well a newbie to the Metal Detecting Forum.

I am sure this question has been asked a zillion times, but I'll do the honor's of asking again.

What is a good detector for a newbie?

I'm looking to make a purchase in the next month or so. Price is not much of an issue. I would like to own a detector that is not bare-bones, but not so complex that I throw my hands up in the air.

I am already a treasure hunter (coin roll hunting), but I am looking for something that me and my Wife can do together.

Thanks!

HH!!
TGB

Oh and once I buy one, could you guys explain how to use it??? :wink:

Upvote 0

poftravel

Apr 4, 2012
Coppell, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett TA300, GTAx-1250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought a used Garrett. GTAX-1250 for $200 at a pawn store, it works great finding coins up to 10 inches down. I am going to drop it off and have it checked out at the factory. A nice perk working 15 minutes from their factory. I'd spend $200 or so to see if you like it. The Ace 250 is really popular if you wanna new one. Good luck to you.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I concur on the Ace250, good machine at about $212 online, $235 or so in many local hobby stores.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stick to the major brands like Garrett, Minelab, Tesoro and White's. Visit their websites to learn as much as you can about each. Get two of the same model for yourself and wife so the learning is easier and she won't think you cheated her by giving her the cheap one. The ACE 250 is a nice choice.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I concur on the Ace250, good machine at about $212 online, $235 or so in many local hobby stores.

If you're leaning towards the Ace250, I'd recommend a pair of generic reading glasses from Walmart.. much cheaper and probably more accurate. If you're serious.. and price isn't an object as you've said, then look into the GTI 2500 (with quality coils) or Minelab Explorer (my personal fav) and go find some stuff!

OP
OP
tallguybry

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input guys! Ace 250 looks to be the unanimous winner.

One last "Q": Is the Ace 350 a better choice over the 250?

HH!!
TGB

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 350 has almost an identical feature set with a bigger coil. The 250 will save you some money, but lots of 350 fans here will recommend it for the coil alone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread