How many pack a handgun when detecting?

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bears seldom attack if you have a gun. They sense fear. The guy with only the pepper spray is scared to death, is attacked and has to use it. On the other hand the guy with a gun points it at the bear, remains calm and the bear departs. Occasions when bullets have to be used are much less. This is the problem with statistics. Think, what is the agenda of the one making the ridiculous claim (anti-gun). Don't live in fear pack a gun.

Not exactly. The study I was referring to included hundreds of grizzly bear attacks. (Field and Stream is hardly anti-gun.) When the persons carrying guns chose to use them it took an AVERAGE of four shots. Those using bullets on bears suffered more serious injuries than those using pepper spray. Think about it. A bears sense of smell is acute. Take him off that and you've taken him off his game. Recent police videos have shown you can hit an entire group quite easily with a spray can.

But back on topic- why would you even want to detect in a place you felt deadly force could be necessary?

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not exactly. The study I was referring to included hundreds of grizzly bear attacks. (Field and Stream is hardly anti-gun.) When the persons carrying guns chose to use them it took an AVERAGE of four shots. Those using bullets on bears suffered more serious injuries than those using pepper spray. Think about it. A bears sense of smell is acute. Take him off that and you've taken him off his game. Recent police videos have shown you can hit an entire group quite easily with a spray can.

But back on topic- why would you even want to detect in a place you felt deadly force could be necessary?

Because the nails in my floor keep making my detector beep? But dang those copper pipes sound good!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi everybody, I am a big dumb nimrod. But that's okay. The next time I go deer hunting or try to take some ruffed grouse or cottontails, I think I'll pack my cz, or pro, or heck, maybe both, there's some killer foundations out in the woods, and there is a deep down killer hidden deep within us all. To answer the op's question, nobody will ever know. Fun fun fun:occasion14:. Dont fall down and shoot yerself! Good luck pistol packing tectin folk! :occasion14: No, really.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well gleaner, you are getting closer but I think you will actually have to say it,, all the nimrods are shaking our heads at your puzzle.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
How many people carry firearms while metal detecting? It's Tnet delusions of grandeur de jour, pure nonsense, I think a more productive question concerning the hobby would be "How many people wear bug spray while tectin?" Pistol packin sons of *****in metal detectorists are or okay, I do it. Just dont trumpet it or ask stupid questions like "How many people pack heat tectin" duh...... Its a bunch of horseshit the hobby does not need. Its laughable.

OP
OP
MickeyMaguire

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many people carry firearms while metal detecting? It's Tnet delusions of grandeur de jour, pure nonsense, I think a more productive question concerning the hobby would be "How many people wear bug spray while tectin?" Pistol packin sons of *****in metal detectorists are or okay, I do it. Just dont trumpet it or ask stupid questions like "How many people pack heat tectin" duh...... Its a bunch of horseshit the hobby does not need. Its laughable.

Funny, really. I never detect in city parks or city lots, for that matter. I detect in remote places and some state park beaches, or Altantic beaches. I would not carry on the beaches. So, have you ever encountered feral dogs? They don't fear people because they were around them at one time and when they pack, they can be a real danger to anyone that comes across them. That is why I asked. For the record, I am an expert shot, properly trained, and used to compete. I do know when and when NOT to carry. I thought that the question was a good one considering the number of relic hunters and gold shooters on the board. And, NO, I am not a newbie.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If ever I have to shoot at a charging bear I plan to unload my gun too. 7 45 rounds from a 1911 or all 6 from my 44 mag. I am sure some of those injuries were from under powered 9 mm, 22s 38s and such. You need the right gun for the job. Hospitals report more deaths with fewer bullets with 45 than with 9mm with no statistics using pepper spray. I wonder also if shots were wasted trying to scare the bear off . I don't believe every thing I read in a magazine. They get there information from somewhere, maybe! I have worked with engineers who had a habit of proving every project they attempted just to have another prove it wrong. If u watch the news u are always hearing about some "study" completely disproving a previous study. You missed the point of my first post. Bears seldom attack if you carry a gun " fear factor. Thousands of hunters are in the woods and are never attacked by bears. Comparatively fewer people only go in the woods with pepper spray. Statistics can be used to prove just about anything you want. While pepper spray directly into the eyes of protesters only proves that absolute power corrupts absolutely. Would we even have this discussion if the Minutemen of the revolution had used pepper spray?

Last edited:

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I carry my 5 inch knife in sheath which I use to recover artifacts often, so I guess that would be my protection, or my shovel XD

Glassdigger

Apr 27, 2012
Tarlton Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Garrett AT Pro, White's Sierra Madre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess if I get jumped by someone I don't see coming that Lesche digger that's always in my hand could be a formidable weapon also.

wvminer

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2012
Weston, West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a kel-tec .32 everywhere I go. The only reason I carry is the state police came to our fire department and told us that beings we run numerous calls to our near by interstate that it would be a good idea to get ours for the drug traffic on our interstate. They said that if a dealer or someone wrecks the will defiantly fight for what's in the wrecked vehicle. But that being said don't be afraid of the fire service we aren't here to shoot you lol. But the drugs are getting bad in my area so I'm always packing.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Lesche makes a fine deterrent in city parks. On people.
Dogs running off leash in a leash required area is different.
Lots of them. People ignor the law about that.
I love dogs, would have one now but apartment is not good for them.
But a strange dog running at me kinda scares me.
Levels of responce can escalate from the noise of a taser to the spray and then to actually firearm use.
I would really hate to kill someones pet.
Calling the dogs name a hundred times from the owner does not make me feel safe.
As far as people go, I hunt with a partner. We both have gun permits.

63 - If you get a permit from a northern county sheriff it is good for all Cali. so I was told.

Grey

forhorsmn

Feb 7, 2012
Gainesville, TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The property I've been prospecting on is known to have coyotes, feral dogs and the occasional bob cat. I keep my dogs with me as well as my S&W .40 as a LAST resort.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The county I call home has an unusually dense population of black bears and mountain lions. It also has more than its share of meth heads. You should see all the young guys with no teeth out on the back roads looking for morels to sell right now. Less than 15 air miles from my home, sheriff's deputies raided a Mexican cartel pot operation on BLM land and captured one guy armed with an AK 47; the other "watchman" managed to escape. Grows have been found here not only patrolled by gunmen but with land mines laid around the perimeters. A Mexican national was killed in a shootout with deputies at a grow about 30 miles north of me two years ago. And then there are the loony old gold miners out there who don't get into town enough. Get too near their claims and they will shoot at you, shoot at your vehicle and/or slash your tires. Welcome to the West Coast. If I choose to carry concealed -- and I'm licensed -- it is not a matter of bravado or testosterone or fantasy. It is a matter of common sense as well as the principle of not letting criminals push me off of public lands -- and especially when I am out there with my wife and family. I was an Eagle Scout. My motto continues to be, "Be prepared."

LowTide2

Apr 22, 2012
The Treasure Coast of East Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS Groundhog, Whites V3i, Minelab Excalibur ll w/10" coil.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Remember this about carrying a weapon. If you wander on to someones property, you could be charged with "armed" Trespass.
Make sure you are highly trained on weapons handling, just because you are a good shot doesn't make you "safe" around others with a weapon. ALL Guns are "always" loaded! Keep your finger OFF THE TRIGGER until you have to shoot someone to save a life, meaning there is no other way out! If possible, run away! Back away if possible and report the incident when you are safe. Once you shoot a person, your life as you knew it is over, but hey, at least you are still
alive!

Ninth Island

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2009
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500 sand shark 10inch goldbug pro jw fisher pulse 8
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I CARRY A 357 SNUBNOSE I HAVE A CCW HERE IN NEVADA BUT ONLY BECAUSE I SOMETIMES HIKE WITH MY DETECTOR FOR MILES IN DESERT HILLS OR GOLD CLAIMS RAN IN TO LARGE SIZE CATS ECT SO WHEN LOOKING FOR OLD WEST RELICS OR NUGGETS I HAVE SOME PEACE OF MIND

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MickeyMaguire said:
I am thinking about carrying my SW 9MM (just in case). Does anyone do this?

Clarify: Had a run-in with a pack of dogs. Scary situation.

Yep I carry my .22mag everywhere I go, when I'm deep in the woods detecting I carry my .45

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes a custom .45 ACP Officer's model conceiled. Sometimes same with a Ciener .22 LR slide. Sometimes a S&W M-14 open & on my belt. I also wear a single earpiece Rattler headphone so I have one ear open to ambient sound.

But only when I am off in the wood somewhere. Never at a park or fairground or within a city limit.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several states have had issues with feral dogs in recent years. Those that have had problems have issued bounties on feral animals. As the economy gets worse, some people abandon their pets and they end up running with a pack. Such a pack is what I encountered in a place I have "hunted" before. I barely made it to the car with the pack chasing me.
In the 60s as a child and my father the Dog Catcher we went out on a call for a pack of dogs feeding on a horse they killed. Several of the dogs were wearing collars and I watched as dad unsuccessfully tried to get close for a shot with tranquilizer. Later when I was not along he was able to shoot and kill the two lead feral dogs with a 30-30. After that many of the dogs apparently returned home and were never seen in a pack again. While some of the owners were ticketed for allowing their dog to run when the dog was returned to them. I still have trouble believing they could bring down such a large animal, but I recall my dad talking about how histerical the horses owner was when describing what she had witnessed.

Last edited:

tesoro kid

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2012
Sequatchie co TN
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a Taurus public defender 410. About the size of a snub nose .38. I keep four 410 shells in it for copperheads and rattlers and one personal defense round for if I am attack by a deer, in hunting season only of course.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a Taurus public defender 410. About the size of a snub nose .38. I keep four 410 shells in it for copperheads and rattlers and one personal defense round for if I am attack by a deer, in hunting season only of course.
I have heard of more than one person who had his trophy deer or elk taken from him at gun point! If it should happen to me I plan to calmly let them take it, find their pickup and fill the radiator with all the bullets from whatever gun I am packing that day! Don't get mad get even!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread