How many pack a handgun when detecting?

Sam 8

Jan 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading the thoughtful responses in this thread makes me feel comfortable sharing my two cents worth.
I spent 25 years wearing a badge and carrying a gun. I am retired now, and still only rarely leave the house without a concealed weapon.
There are a couple of key points I want to share...
Know, very thoroughly, the laws in your state regarding both concealed carry and know the laws regarding the use of deadly force.
But what you really need to know is... yourself. Know, without fail, why you are packing the weapon and under what circumstances you would be willing to send that bullet downrange.
Because you cannot call it back.
Once you have all of that sorted out, if you choose to pack a weapon, please, please, get some serious training in it's use, maintenance, holstering techniques and retention skills...as in know how to keep some clown from taking your weapon away from you and using it on you.
And once you have the skills worked up, keep training because it is not like riding a bicycle, it is a persihable skill very much dependant on muscle memory and specific coordination that will go away if you don't stay on top of it.
I can lawfully carry in all of the contiguous 48 states. It took me a long time to earn that option. I take it very seriously. If you are gonna pack, you need to take it seriously, too.
Now, to the pepper spray deal.
The last thing I want to do is depend on a can of spray to keep a mad, hell-bent bear from taking a chunk out of me because I got to close to a cub I didn't see.
I would submit that the data on the attack "victory" ratio is skewed. People "winning" an encounter with a bear using spray are probably those who are spraying while retreating, or are not looking at a lfe/death encounter.
A seriously angry bear hell-bent on attack is not, I repeat not, going to turn and run 'cause it got some stuff in it's eyes and nose. I have sprayed humans with the stuff and there have been times when the spray did nothing....other than get to me. I sure as heck ain't gonna depend on spray to stop a bear unhappy with me and my presence in it's area of operation.
I live in mountain lion country. Mountain lions do not care about the spray. Rattlesnakes do not care about the spray.
Spray is a tool, but it has limitations and fooling yourself about the power of the pepper can be a mistake.
Like the metal detectors we use, a heck of a lot goes into the selection and learning that goes with the purchase if you expect to get the most out of it...and if you want it to perform when you need it.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post Sam.
People need to know what can happen after "Deadly Force" is used.
It will change your life forever.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been around guns all my life.. Started to hunt when i was age 12... in Pa.. Now i am in my 70's and still drive semi truck part time..... So i am still a little spry..... I took the concealed carry course when Ohio made it legal to carry........... But i still never carry ... My thinking on that is if it is not on me i can not get into trouble......

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a concealed handgun license for about 16 or 17 years roughly. I carry while detecting, however, I carry most all the time. "Need" is a very subjective thing. Most things like guns, fire extinguishers, flotation devices, etc are generally never "needed." However, when they are needed, they are needed very badly indeed. Like others have said, you need to know yourself, the law, and have competence in the use of your weapon. I've only drawn my pistol once in all the years that I've had a CHL. I was very glad to have it when I did. (A carjacker would have most likely taken my vehicle with my infant daughter in the back seat. He ran upon realizing he had just brought a knife to a gunfight.)

OP
OP
MickeyMaguire

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Faithful Saying: When SECONDS count, the police are only MINUTES away.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However, when they are needed, they are needed very badly indeed.

This bears repeating.

That's the part that's hard sorting out, and why Sam, a trained professional, says " ....and still only rarely leave the house without a concealed weapon." He knows that.

Of course, that varies with your local environment, but ........................

Last edited:

High-Teck Redneck

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry...then I have a ccw. If I am pounding someone's homestead or farm...I leave it in the truck. They have given you permission to be here. Bring a gun onto my property...i will own a new gun and you will never be back on any of my properties/contracts again. Just saying...now ifn I'm in the woods, beach or other public place pounding (or not) I'm packing at least one but usually two.

Last edited:

FloridaDigger

May 6, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too carry concealed and rarely leave the house without it. Metal detecting is no different because I can't predict if and when a violent criminal will attack. I avoid high risk situations like any responsibly armed citizen would do. However, if I have to defend my life from a violent attacker while detecting, I'm trained, equipped and prepared to do so.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't carry, but there have been a few times hunting in the woods with headphones on that I've gotten spooked by the solitude and had the feeling that someone or something (think bear) was in the vicinity ..this is what happens when you are born and raised in NYC and then move to the boonies of Vermont..in any case, I usually hunt with my hubby who does carry. For when I'm all by my lonesome, I do keep a can of pepper spray in my waist pack.

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do I carry? Yes
When? When I am awake
Where? Every where except the bank and post office. ( I lock them in the truck)

FloridaDigger

May 6, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In Florida its legal for licensed concealed carry holders to carry in banks - which I do.

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an interesting topic. I think it would be more interesting to know who has ever been in a situation where they had to fend off a bear, mountain lion, etc.?

I prospect in the East Fork, San Gabriel mountains and I carry my pick, rock hammer and another sharp object, no gun though. I've been thinking about pepper spray though as a few weeks ago I was on a trail and ran across fresh bear droppings.

tommcd

Tenderfoot
Mar 27, 2012
Suwanee, GA
Detector(s) used
White's v3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I grew up around E. St. Louis and I wouldn't go there without some HEAVY firepower.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an interesting topic. I think it would be more interesting to know who has ever been in a situation where they had to fend off a bear, mountain lion, etc.?

I prospect in the East Fork, San Gabriel mountains and I carry my pick, rock hammer and another sharp object, no gun though. I've been thinking about pepper spray though as a few weeks ago I was on a trail and ran across fresh bear droppings.
I don't think pepper spray will help the bear droppings you ran into. Try stepping over them or wear rubber boots as it will wash off easier. Oh yah, pack a gun in case you run into the bear.

laurieshub

Greenie
May 7, 2012
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
garret
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure I do ! images (3).jpg

nyantler

May 29, 2011
Central New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
I do carry on occasion.. usually when I'm alone and doing a remote cellar hole location... nobody is gonna make me "squeel like pig"... !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread