Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: How many pack a handgun when detecting?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2012
    83 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire
    I am thinking about carrying my SW 9MM (just in case). Does anyone do this?

Clarify: Had a run-in with a pack of dogs. Scary situation.
    Yep I carry my .22mag everywhere I go, when I'm deep in the woods detecting I carry my .45

us
    "Is that a Geiger Counter?"

Feb 2006
    South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the headlands
    '72 RS Kit/Musketeer Advantage with 8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se with 11" DD & 6.5" concentric coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe/Black Widows/Rattler/F-Point/Merlin SXL Pinpointers
    580 times
    Metal Detecting
    Sometimes a custom .45 ACP Officer's model conceiled. Sometimes same with a Ciener .22 LR slide. Sometimes a S&W M-14 open & on my belt. I also wear a single earpiece Rattler headphone so I have one ear open to ambient sound.

But only when I am off in the wood somewhere. Never at a park or fairground or within a city limit.
    MickeyMaguire likes this.
    America was founded by tough hell-raisers. Rugged citizens who evaded taxes, spoke strongly against tyranny, grew tobacco, brewed beer, distilled spirits, and smuggled weapons. And it will be saved by those same types of citizens.

Apr 2012
    Clark County Washington
    Tiger Shark 8" coil, Tejon 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones Whites TRX pointer Minelab Quattro, Garrett gold stinger
    210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire View Post
    Several states have had issues with feral dogs in recent years. Those that have had problems have issued bounties on feral animals. As the economy gets worse, some people abandon their pets and they end up running with a pack. Such a pack is what I encountered in a place I have "hunted" before. I barely made it to the car with the pack chasing me.
    In the 60s as a child and my father the Dog Catcher we went out on a call for a pack of dogs feeding on a horse they killed. Several of the dogs were wearing collars and I watched as dad unsuccessfully tried to get close for a shot with tranquilizer. Later when I was not along he was able to shoot and kill the two lead feral dogs with a 30-30. After that many of the dogs apparently returned home and were never seen in a pack again. While some of the owners were ticketed for allowing their dog to run when the dog was returned to them. I still have trouble believing they could bring down such a large animal, but I recall my dad talking about how histerical the horses owner was when describing what she had witnessed.
    Last edited by Hot zone; May 05, 2012 at 11:04 AM.
    It's no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. Mark Twain

us
    Apr 2012
    Sequatchie co TN
    Tesoro and Fisher
    I carry a Taurus public defender 410. About the size of a snub nose .38. I keep four 410 shells in it for copperheads and rattlers and one personal defense round for if I am attack by a deer, in hunting season only of course.

Apr 2012
    Clark County Washington
    Tiger Shark 8" coil, Tejon 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones Whites TRX pointer Minelab Quattro, Garrett gold stinger
    210 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tesoro kid View Post
    I carry a Taurus public defender 410. About the size of a snub nose .38. I keep four 410 shells in it for copperheads and rattlers and one personal defense round for if I am attack by a deer, in hunting season only of course.
    I have heard of more than one person who had his trophy deer or elk taken from him at gun point! If it should happen to me I plan to calmly let them take it, find their pickup and fill the radiator with all the bullets from whatever gun I am packing that day! Don't get mad get even!
    It's no wonder truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense. Mark Twain

us
    Jan 2012
    MXT..it is a Pro, but I am a rookie.
    18 times
    Reading the thoughtful responses in this thread makes me feel comfortable sharing my two cents worth.
    I spent 25 years wearing a badge and carrying a gun. I am retired now, and still only rarely leave the house without a concealed weapon.
    There are a couple of key points I want to share...
    Know, very thoroughly, the laws in your state regarding both concealed carry and know the laws regarding the use of deadly force.
    But what you really need to know is... yourself. Know, without fail, why you are packing the weapon and under what circumstances you would be willing to send that bullet downrange.
    Because you cannot call it back.
    Once you have all of that sorted out, if you choose to pack a weapon, please, please, get some serious training in it's use, maintenance, holstering techniques and retention skills...as in know how to keep some clown from taking your weapon away from you and using it on you.
    And once you have the skills worked up, keep training because it is not like riding a bicycle, it is a persihable skill very much dependant on muscle memory and specific coordination that will go away if you don't stay on top of it.
    I can lawfully carry in all of the contiguous 48 states. It took me a long time to earn that option. I take it very seriously. If you are gonna pack, you need to take it seriously, too.
    Now, to the pepper spray deal.
    The last thing I want to do is depend on a can of spray to keep a mad, hell-bent bear from taking a chunk out of me because I got to close to a cub I didn't see.
    I would submit that the data on the attack "victory" ratio is skewed. People "winning" an encounter with a bear using spray are probably those who are spraying while retreating, or are not looking at a lfe/death encounter.
    A seriously angry bear hell-bent on attack is not, I repeat not, going to turn and run 'cause it got some stuff in it's eyes and nose. I have sprayed humans with the stuff and there have been times when the spray did nothing....other than get to me. I sure as heck ain't gonna depend on spray to stop a bear unhappy with me and my presence in it's area of operation.
    I live in mountain lion country. Mountain lions do not care about the spray. Rattlesnakes do not care about the spray.
    Spray is a tool, but it has limitations and fooling yourself about the power of the pepper can be a mistake.
    Like the metal detectors we use, a heck of a lot goes into the selection and learning that goes with the purchase if you expect to get the most out of it...and if you want it to perform when you need it.
    The faster I go the behinder I get...

us
    Endeaver to perservere

Mar 2008
    Aloha, Orygun
    wishing stick
    22 times
    Searching
    Great post Sam.
    People need to know what can happen after "Deadly Force" is used.
    It will change your life forever.

Charter Member
    us
    May 2012
    Ventura county
    White's Xlt spectrum Garrett Pro pointer
    23 times
    Metal Detecting
    like the cup of noodles terry lol

Charter Member
    us
    IT COULD BE A VALUABLE PRIZE "YOU NEVER KNOW"

Nov 2006
    N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
    ** I use only top name brand detectors *****
    1248 times
    ANY TYPE OF TREASURE HUNTING THAT PUTS MONEY IN MY POCKET
    I have been around guns all my life.. Started to hunt when i was age 12... in Pa.. Now i am in my 70's and still drive semi truck part time..... So i am still a little spry..... I took the concealed carry course when Ohio made it legal to carry........... But i still never carry ... My thinking on that is if it is not on me i can not get into trouble......
    "...Let no one know what,were or when..."

us
    Jan 2007
    Southeast Texas
    Garrett AT Pro
    44 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've had a concealed handgun license for about 16 or 17 years roughly. I carry while detecting, however, I carry most all the time. "Need" is a very subjective thing. Most things like guns, fire extinguishers, flotation devices, etc are generally never "needed." However, when they are needed, they are needed very badly indeed. Like others have said, you need to know yourself, the law, and have competence in the use of your weapon. I've only drawn my pistol once in all the years that I've had a CHL. I was very glad to have it when I did. (A carjacker would have most likely taken my vehicle with my infant daughter in the back seat. He ran upon realizing he had just brought a knife to a gunfight.)
    Hot zone likes this.

us
    Apr 2012
    Tesoro Bandito II, Garrett Ace 250, BH LandStar, Time Rander, Discovery 3000, Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, QuickDrawII, Fisher F2.
    67 times
    Metal Detecting
    Faithful Saying: When SECONDS count, the police are only MINUTES away.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    578 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
    However, when they are needed, they are needed very badly indeed.
    This bears repeating.

That's the part that's hard sorting out, and why Sam, a trained professional, says " ....and still only rarely leave the house without a concealed weapon." He knows that.

Of course, that varies with your local environment, but ........................
    Last edited by Bum Luck; May 13, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ó Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Apr 2012
    I always carry...then I have a ccw. If I am pounding someone's homestead or farm...I leave it in the truck. They have given you permission to be here. Bring a gun onto my property...i will own a new gun and you will never be back on any of my properties/contracts again. Just saying...now ifn I'm in the woods, beach or other public place pounding (or not) I'm packing at least one but usually two.
    Last edited by High-Teck Redneck; May 13, 2012 at 02:43 PM.

us
    May 2012
    Central Florida
    Fisher F4, Garrett ProPointer
    11 times
    Metal Detecting
    I too carry concealed and rarely leave the house without it. Metal detecting is no different because I can't predict if and when a violent criminal will attack. I avoid high risk situations like any responsibly armed citizen would do. However, if I have to defend my life from a violent attacker while detecting, I'm trained, equipped and prepared to do so.

us
    Jun 2007
    Near Bangor, Maine
    Minelab Safari ProPointer
    124 times
    Metal Detecting
    I don't carry, but there have been a few times hunting in the woods with headphones on that I've gotten spooked by the solitude and had the feeling that someone or something (think bear) was in the vicinity ..this is what happens when you are born and raised in NYC and then move to the boonies of Vermont..in any case, I usually hunt with my hubby who does carry. For when I'm all by my lonesome, I do keep a can of pepper spray in my waist pack.
    I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors