jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
over 45 years, and I'm still waiting to dig one.

I'm 56 & never had a use for a gun, other then as Gifts to my Nephew 8-)

If I run into a snake, Zombie or rabid Mole, I'm hoping my detector coil, will keep them busy till they
tire, and go the other way,
If aliens attack, I'll reason with them.
I don't Dump on them,
no need for them to Dump on me.

so I guess you can say, I'm
still living in a river in Egypt. Nice & warm & Fuzzy here :laughing7:

Worst case scenario you run into a street gang that sings to you.

Hmm, maybe a Gun would be a bright idea,
ever see west side story ? now their singing is Criminal !

Last edited:

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always believed in the saying that "it is better to have something and not need it, than need it and not have it". Personal protection is never a bad idea. :headbang:

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always carry when I'm detecting. I have never needed to use it but it is nice to know firepower is there for rabid animals or crazy people. Just be safe and know your state's laws about concealed carry.

oldtimer82

May 29, 2005
irasburg, vermont
Detector(s) used
whites silver eagle
when i go out in unknown area's i always carry. no need to get eaten by a stray bear or worst abducted by aliens/lol. as ridger say its better to have then not when you need it.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually pack a lunch when I go detecting.. If a gang, or wild animal happens by, they are more than welcome to it. I make extra sandwiches just in the event something crazy does happen.

Besides, it's much easier to give anyone/thing, crazy eyes

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I carry a sidearm in the wilderness, and on the gold claims. Fortunately, I have never had to take it out of the holster. That is my story and I'm sticking with it! But, in the city or just out in the woods, I don't carry at all, just a knife. Can you just imagine the evening news here in New York? "Man shoots dogs to death while metal detecting- Film at 11:00 !" I just show the feral animals a photo of my second wife. If they are still around and growling after that, wife number four comes out of the wallet..

Attachments

• vfr 184.jpg
    vfr 184.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 251

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an article in this months 'Field & Stream' that says pepper spray stopped 90% of bear attacks while bullets only stopped 66%. If it works on bears it will work on whatever else.

OP
OP
MickeyMaguire

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's an article in this months 'Field & Stream' that says pepper spray stopped 90% of bear attacks while bullets only stopped 66%. If it works on bears it will work on whatever else.

I hope the wind is in your favor.

Thanks for the insights and opinions.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope the wind is in your favor.

Thanks for the insights and opinions.

I'm a gun owner, and hunter, and occasionally pack one, but for "most" people the effective range of the right kind of pepper spray is better than a handgun. Yes, a bullet will go farther, but how many people will be able to draw, aim, and hit a moving target in the right spot so as to stop it and not just make it mad? At least with the spray you have larger coverage, no recoil, and can blind them long enough to thwart the attack.

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez, you'd think people on this thread live in either Nome, Alaska or East St. Louis.
I wouldn't ever carry a weapon on me since that might complicate things or give a bad impression when asking for permission. I certainly would never let a stranger on to my property with a gun.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I used to carry all the time when I was in my 20's, but stopped. My outlook on people (and life in general) changed as I grew up.

I do fully support concealed carry rights, though, and I'm no fan of those who would seek to deny people that choice based on their own personal ideologies about life.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Shoot your eye out; shoot your self in the foot; losing your gun in the field;
all sorts of things happen.

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i exercise my constitutional right to bear arms at every opportunity. need i say more?

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in an area where you don't really need to lock your doors, let alone carry a gun, but I would carry if I needed to. No questions asked. My state is an open carry state as well.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess I am surprised that anyone thinks it is a bad idea!! Shoot your eye out;- everyone carrying is evil not to be allowed. I do not get why anyone would think that you should be lunch for animals (human or not). And why is it that the evil gun is making decisions based on the situation? I thought we became emancipated to the point that the gun no longer dictated our motives?

I carry if I feel I should. I sometimes feel it is unnecessary, but it is not a decision that should be made by the government,, they are always on the wrong side nowadays, and they will never be there when you hope they will be.

If I had to guess, when you need the protection, you can count on it being there within 3 hours of the belated call to the leo. If you are close enough!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Know what I'm saying?

Attachments

• art1a 061.jpg
    art1a 061.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 192

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've packed in the woods; hogs are nasty, but there are other critters that can be too. Shooting should be a basic skill; like in Switzerland.

I've had to spray a dog once while surveying (dogs usually like me, but this one liked being nasty), and it folded him right up. End of confrontation, but I'm not afraid of one dog either. A pack is different; very dangerous. I read an article years ago about a power line crew in Georgia that had to fight off a pack of dogs with axes and chain saws. Intense.

Hint: Take out the Alpha dog first. Then the Beta.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree if someone wants to carry , that is their prerogative.
to me this includes the 17, 18 year olds going to school,
or sitting on the bench at the park rolling a fat one.
freedom should not be conditional.

However there are many out there who need a diaper after seeing a gun,
and it will prevent you from getting some sites

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've never metal detected in an area infested with wild hogs (although I have hunted them in Texas) or wild dogs (really??) so I can't speak to that directly. But I can say that a few of these posts make this lifetime NRA member a little.. uneasy..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread