Narrowed down to 2

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
FIsher F2, Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I am still researching and have decided that I am either going with an AT Pro, or a minelab Xterra 705 I think. I was set on the Vaquero but decided I want a readout, no matter how inaccurate they can be.
I am having a tough time deciding between these two machines though. One thing that could be a deciding factor is the fact that I called 4 places today and the 705's apparently are on back order and no one has any. :( I was also suprised at the difference in prices at the places I called. Only one was really giving me any kind of a deal which suprised me.
I am mainly looking for old coins, relics and jewelry. I would love any info from owners of these machines that could help me decide which to go with. I also would consider buying gently used. :)

Upvote 0

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to add something else to the discussion... My friends and I have often talked about opening up a local detector dealership. We know for a fact that we could make Garretts fly off the shelves. But, we all have a concious and couldn't actually recommend one to anybody if their goal is old coins in OUR local parks. Maybe other parts of the country are different, but around here, long time Garrett users don't go to the old parks with the intent to find old coins anymore. They hit fields now or look for jewelry. In the last 3 years of our club having hunts in local parks (3-5 per year), I can think of 2 silver coins TOTAL being found by garretts and fewer than 5 wheat pennies total. All of this is happening while myself and others in the club are finding 3-5 silver per club hunt with another brand.
I got the ace 350 for a starter detector and i couldnt be more pleased with the results so far from the machine...ive dug dimes at 9 inches of dry solid packed gravel and pulled 11 silver from 1905-1944 from the old local parks we garrett users dont go to ....1 was even a war nickel and the garrett nailed that singnal too ..now im not saying i cant buy a better machine but for now its not needed for my first year im sitting with 2 ounces of silver and ive just begun ..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as prices, dealers are restrected from selling below a set price with out losing the right to sell the product line if caught which is why you see prices the same, with the "freebies" changing.

Buy from one of our sponsors, they will take care of you...

Last edited:

Joven76

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2012
Cary, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as prices, dealers are restrected from selling below a set price with out losing the right to sell the product line if caught which is why you see prices the same, with the "freebies" changing.

Buy from one of our sponsors, they will take care of you...

Kinda hard to do when the MD you want isn't even in stock... LOL :)

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" Yes the lightness of a detector is important as I've been having some major pain in my rotator cuff on my right side wouldn't u know"
i recomend a teknetics g2 !!!! super light and easy to swing!! great on gold jewlry! extremly easy to use and large display! do a little research on it!

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
started out on the 705 last year.... upgraded to an ETrac and have an AT pro as a back up....

here's my demo video of my 705 when I sold it to get my ETrac....the TDI on the 705.... in my opinion... is more 'spot on' than any detectors I have also had (T2, AT Pro, F2,)... and used (V3, Safari, DeLeon)...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread