Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
5-6" deep in my area are normally older coins. Wheats for sure are almost always in that range.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here most are in the 4-6 range and sometimes a deep hit where dirt had been moved around

1320Fastback

Apr 21, 2012
Oceanside, Ca
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm totally new so take this for what its worth.

At the beach everything seems to be 8+.
I did find a wheat ('47) in a field by my house at 2-4" though. It was near a dime ('66) at same 2-4".

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Years ago, on this forum, it was said that for every hundred years of time, about four inches of soil is added to the Earth. Obviously, soil erosion from wind and water are a factor. Now, figure the age of your coin finds and it could very well be in line with that estimate.

pumice

Dec 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Type of soil I think has a lot to do with it.......clay--sandy--pumice----then you have the weather facter and shrubbery growth. Like the high desert of Oregon here, don't have too fight the brush much, not that much of it......

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin depths can be anything really, I've found 100 year old coins on the surface and I once dug 6 inches in my own front yard only to find a 1994 dime(I was pissed)....My yard is really wet with soft dark earth...you can push your Lesche in to the hilt with one finger...other places near me you need to pound them in with a hammer basically.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont want to dig that deep, buy a cheaper detector!

Personally, I love seeing my depth indicate the coin is that deep. That usually means I could have an older coin.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should rework the area in all metal and see whats deeper. Gold rings and coins will sink faster than the finds you have been making though as Coinstriking says depth can have nothing to do with how long an item has been in the soil. There's wind effects, vegetation, floods, frost cracking of the ground even a cow treading on a modern coin in wet weather which will push it down many inches. All proves that the archaeological worries re metal detecting have no basis in fact.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't mind finding coins at any depth ...

Mr. Pumice: knew with that moniker you had to be from Oregon or Washington!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread