Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Coinstriking Michigan

Thread: Why oh why is it always 5-6"?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Apr 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    ACE 250
    41 times
    Metal Detecting

Why oh why is it always 5-6"?

Why does it seem that most of the coins are around 5-6" deep. I went out to the football field on a naval base Saturday and Monday. Most of my finds were 5-6" deep came out with around $3.60 in clad, a Masonic pendant, and a Catholic pendant.

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    5-6" deep in my area are normally older coins. Wheats for sure are almost always in that range.
    Why do they call it "Taking a dump" when you're actually leaving one?

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    368 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Same here most are in the 4-6 range and sometimes a deep hit where dirt had been moved around

us
    Apr 2012
    Oceanside, Ca
    Ace 350
    3 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm totally new so take this for what its worth.

At the beach everything seems to be 8+.
    I did find a wheat ('47) in a field by my house at 2-4" though. It was near a dime ('66) at same 2-4".

us
    Apr 2012
    Tesoro Bandito II, Garrett Ace 250, BH LandStar, Time Rander, Discovery 3000, Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, QuickDrawII, Fisher F2.
    67 times
    Metal Detecting
    Years ago, on this forum, it was said that for every hundred years of time, about four inches of soil is added to the Earth. Obviously, soil erosion from wind and water are a factor. Now, figure the age of your coin finds and it could very well be in line with that estimate.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill

us
    Dec 2011
    3 times
    Metal Detecting
    Type of soil I think has a lot to do with it.......clay--sandy--pumice----then you have the weather facter and shrubbery growth. Like the high desert of Oregon here, don't have too fight the brush much, not that much of it......
    The Only Consistency Is The Inconsistency

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    Coin depths can be anything really, I've found 100 year old coins on the surface and I once dug 6 inches in my own front yard only to find a 1994 dime(I was pissed)....My yard is really wet with soft dark earth...you can push your Lesche in to the hilt with one finger...other places near me you need to pound them in with a hammer basically.
    U.K. Brian likes this.
    Why do they call it "Taking a dump" when you're actually leaving one?

us
    Oct 2009
    1906 times
    If you dont want to dig that deep, buy a cheaper detector!

Personally, I love seeing my depth indicate the coin is that deep. That usually means I could have an older coin.

Oct 2005
    XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
    133 times
    You should rework the area in all metal and see whats deeper. Gold rings and coins will sink faster than the finds you have been making though as Coinstriking says depth can have nothing to do with how long an item has been in the soil. There's wind effects, vegetation, floods, frost cracking of the ground even a cow treading on a modern coin in wet weather which will push it down many inches. All proves that the archaeological worries re metal detecting have no basis in fact.

us
    Aug 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    White's Vision, White's 6000DI Pro
    42 times
    Murphy's Law....

Al
    I think...therefore I am.

May 2012
    Foothills, Siskiyou Mountains, southern Oregon
    Minelab Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark
    26 times
    Metal Detecting
    I wouldn't mind finding coins at any depth ...

Mr. Pumice: knew with that moniker you had to be from Oregon or Washington!

Sponsors