Im new to this...Bounty Hunter Land Star -VS- Land Ranger?

P

Pisces

I'm new to this...Bounty Hunter Land Star -VS- Land Ranger?

Hi all,

I am totally new to metal detecting- and I going to be purchasing my new metal detector very soon.
Although I have heard that White's is the absolute best-- I have decided to go with a Bounty Hunter for my very first detector.

Here are a few questions that I have:

Is the Bounty Hunter brand a good and effective metal detector?
I am looking for a detector to hunt everything: coins, jewelry, gold, relics, etc...

I am trying to decide between the Land Star and the Land Ranger.

The Land Ranger is more expensive-- does that mean that it is a ~better~ unit than the Land Star?

Would the Land Ranger be too complicated to use for a beginner? Someone told me that the Land Star is easier to use for a beginner.

Would the Land Ranger detect deeper than the Land Star?

They are both rated as *professional* on the Bounty Hunter website.

And...two other general questions: Can you legally metal detect around old ghost towns and mining camps?
...Can you metal detect inthe winter/ snow/ frozen ground?

Thanks very much in advance for your help! :lol: :lol:

Upvote 0

Cal G.

Mar 19, 2003

Land Star vs Land Ranger the depth will be close, but you get way more features with the Land Ranger. It is probably a better buy than the Time Ranger. I have used a Land Star for several years and have found several thousand coins. It is a good machine in my part of the country, but I still think you would be more please with Land Ranger. I believe the numerical #'s work in all-metal also. JMHO Cal PS go to www.detecting.com for the BH bulletin board. There alot of nice folks there and they will help you.

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003

I have been detecting on and off since February or so. I have a BH land star. It is pretty decent- just in my yard I have found some 35+ coins and several other trinkets, including a silver belt buckle- BUT -- all the coins are from the late 60's or later. In other words: The Land Star will find it if it is 3" or less no problem. More than that; forget it. The house I live in is over 200 years old. There are old coins here aplenty, I just can't get to them with the BHLS. If I could go back, I would have gotten a mid range White's or Garrets, or a used -whatever for around 300$. Another thing: someone said on here once, "When buying a new detector, first figure out how much you want to spend on it, and then add 300$ to that." As soon as you get out there, you will be itching for a better detector...

Good Luck!

If your just starting out, I would recomend a "Turn on and go" machine.
Alot of first timers buy a computerized detector and can't figure it out and throw it in the closet for ten years. To be honest I'm glad that alot people use the fancy machines, for the simple reason they leave all the iffy signals behind which turn out to be really good finds! It's not the brand (although I use a Fisher 1266X), but how you learn your machine.
I would say the most important is to learn your machine by SOUND and not what the screen tells you.
goodluck and remember to stick with it. Don't give up, for this is the best hobby in the world.
By the way, this is my first post (joined yesterday) Good to be a part of this forum. I hope all of you hit it big! Dave from Canada

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread