How to keep sweat out of eyes and keep bugs off metal detecting?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I wear a bandana to keep sweat out of my eyes...you can get some bug spray that's all natural and smells good but I can't remember what it's called...maybe someone else will know.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Avon Skin So Soft works REAL well! I believe Maine Forestry Service uses it.A dew rag works good. God Bless Chris

Last edited:

TarheelPanner

Mar 26, 2012
Mebane, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that skin-so-soft is supposed to work as a bug repellant, I dont know how well that claim works though

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skin so Soft works great as a bug repelent and the doo rags work for sweat

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mono(Multi)crystalline-Solar-Fan-Hat-19431141517.jpg plus Nylon-Mesh-Bug-Screen-Hat-Cover_20090674549.jpg

Last edited:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
At work I have to wear a hard hat and real hot days I use a handtowel size rag and just drape it from my brow, back over my head and let it hang down my back and sides of my face a bit. The air helps the sweat to evaporate from the dangling cloth versus the dew rag that gets saturated and eventually starts running down your face.
I've heard that same thing a bunch of times about that Avon stuff.

Al

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I, too use a bandana. It not only soaks up the sweat, but when worn properly, it keeps the headphones from resting flush against my head. The tiny space created allows air to circulate to and from my ears, which makes a HUGE difference and actually reduces the sweat that's produced.
I also like to use a bandana-like thing from REI. When soaked in cold water, it soaks it up and keeps the cool temps for hours. I just drape it around my neck all day.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know they make wrist band bug repellants i dont know if they really work or not and as far as sweat goes bandana or just a wash cloth to carry with you

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever noticed some people just attract bugs. I was tent camping at a high cascade lake. One of the group was being attacked so bad that he retired to the tent. I was next on their menu. Soon all 4 of us were in the tent. Get yourself a partner that the bugs like better. I wear a cotton ball cap. The light colored ones look like crap when they discolor from sweat.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
You might try one of these.
My son used them in Iraq , brought me one home.
Can get them at "Ranger Joes" web site. $11.

Attachments

• military scarf.jpg
    military scarf.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're in a wooded area, you can rub some Sweet Fern on you.. It's a natural bug repellent

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're in a wooded area, you can rub some Sweet Fern on you.. It's a natural bug repellent
Do I taste the fern to find out if it is sweet, I have read that young fiddle heads are edible in small quantities. Mud takes some of the sting out of nettles and helps with the bug problem too. Back in the 70s during my drinking/ diggin years I would get funny looks from customers in the grocery store making a beer run after crawling out of the midden all covered in black grime. Bugs were never a problem only the hole hoppers that jumped into your claim during your brief departure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread