Is $240 a good deal for a "used 6 times" Garrett Stinger Metal Detector?

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Guys,

I was looking at Craigslist and I found a guy who is selling a Garrett Stinger Metal Detector and Stereo head set for $240. It was used 6 times by a gentleman who is a Gold Prospector in Alaska. He's heading back to AK from NC to go back to work and the detector has to stay.

Good detector?
Worth it?

There is another gentleman coming to by it at 1pm. If he does not show, the owner will call me.

5V45W25Me3Kf3I43J7c54818d25b704901074.jpg

HH!!
TGB

Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tic-tock, the clock is moving.. Sorry, I know squat about that machine, but I would suggest visiting the Garrett website and do a google search. For that matter I would even look it up on youtube, you might get lucky.

Better than sitting around waiting for a reply here :laughing9:

OP
OP
tallguybry

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL! I have this window open while I am watching the Ace 250 instructional video on YouTube... :)

One step ahead of you. The Stinger looks to be too advanced for me. Back to the Ace 250/350!

HH!!
TGB

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I would suggest trying to read up on the other machine, it may be a whole lot better. I have an Ace 250 and I'm happy with it, but if this machine outperforms the 250, it is a no brainer., you go for it and learn it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
All i can tell you about the.. Garrett Scorpion Gold stinger.. Is that is not a good deal.....It is a great deal ..Buy it .....

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Keppy said, go for it! While the Stinger is a gold nugget machine, it stomps the p#%s out of the 250.

OP
OP
tallguybry

tallguybry

Jan 12, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Other
I didn't hear from the owner. So I will assume it is sold!

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Its not a great Gold machine, I recently tested one that friend had, and as long as your gold is at least 0.5 gram, it can find that size if its right on the surface. Its a manual ground balance machine (so you have to know how to do that). Compared to a Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug 2 or GMT, it's not very good on smaller gold - for which there is a lot more of than larger gold (those 3 machines will definately find smaller gold - the GB 2 being the best of the 3). That said, the Stinger will find gold that most general purpose detectors would never pick up at all. If you are prospecting for Gold, I would consider a detector that is better suited for it. I can understand why it might have only been used 6 times in Alaska. If you want a general purpose detector that can also find gold in a prospecting mode (and you are limiting yourself to VLF detectors), look at the Whites MXT, Tesoro Lobo ST and the newer Fisher Gold Bug Pro (be careful - there are lots of models of the new Gold Bug that may or may not be good for finding Gold). I have never tried the new Garrett Gold detector, but it did not get great reviews at AMDS Adventure Forum (Alaskan Adventure Forum).

Most gold specific detectors are more expensive (altho you can sometimes find a Whites Gold Master 2 or VSat on eBay for a good price).

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Its not a great Gold machine, I recently tested one that friend had, and as long as your gold is at least 0.5 gram, it can find that size if its right on the surface. Its a manual ground balance machine (so you have to know how to do that). Compared to a Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug 2 or GMT, it's not very good on smaller gold - for which there is a lot more of than larger gold (those 3 machines will definately find smaller gold - the GB 2 being the best of the 3). That said, the Stinger will find gold that most general purpose detectors would never pick up at all. If you are prospecting for Gold, I would consider a detector that is better suited for it. I can understand why it might have only been used 6 times in Alaska. If you want a general purpose detector that can also find gold in a prospecting mode (and you are limiting yourself to VLF detectors), look at the Whites MXT, Tesoro Lobo ST and the newer Fisher Gold Bug Pro (be careful - there are lots of models of the new Gold Bug that may or may not be good for finding Gold). I have never tried the new Garrett Gold detector, but it did not get great reviews at AMDS Adventure Forum (Alaskan Adventure Forum).

Most gold specific detectors are more expensive (altho you can sometimes find a Whites Gold Master 2 or VSat on eBay for a good price).
Now i did not say it was a great detector..... I said it was a great buy.... For if you did not like it .... you could sell it for more than he would pay for it........Now there are a lot that like the Scorpion for coins & gold... & it is a better detector than the 250 or 350... if you know how to ground balance it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread