Lorenz LPX2 or Pulse Star II, which one is better?

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the Pulse Star deep but have not had the chance to try the LPX2 though there's a few posts (geotech forum I think) suggesting that though its an excellent machine it does not have the depth of other similar P.I.'s.
One person had switched from the Lorenz to the Deepers 8 (another one I've not got my hands on though I liked the 6).
Deepers suggest that the 10 is better than the current crop of high power P.I.'s and your in Mexico City and they manufacture in Mexico so why not call on them and let them prove their words.

OP
OP
Scary Hunter

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
Thanks Brian

What I am a little concerned about the Pulse Star is that with the 40x40" coil it needs a 1x2 meter object to find it, according to this table http://www.detectorcenter.de/tbelectronic1/ortups2e.htm
I found that it is good even with single coins and in some posts in other forums it says that it goes deeper than it says. What are your experiences with it? Do you have the 10" coil? Which coil do you recommend? The equipment comes with the 18" and the 40x40" coils. But I was thinking on buying the 10" coil too in case I get the Pulse Star.

I entered to Deepers web page some days ago and it costs around $2,000.00 USD plus all the coils and someone on this forum said that a person he knows paid for the equipment and didn't receive it and that he couldn't contact them even by phone. This really disappointed me specially because in this country the laws don't protect you in case you have to make a lawsuit.

I also read that with Lorenz a person had problems detecting single coins, but it doesn't say what kind of coil he was using or I just forgot it. There is not a lot of information about Lorenz, so I really can't compare. I found the instruction manual but there is also not a lot of information about it and I am still waiting for the DVD from Kellyco. Also they don't have it in stock right now.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buenas Dias Muchacha: A side thing, how do you move around with a 40" coil in the brush? Even a 24" one is very difficult.

Prob. just fine for an old adobe ruin where the fallen roof, side walls, etc are covering the original floor, but in the brush?

Just a thought since I have no idea where you will be searching. HIgh Pine forests are ok.

Tropical Tramp

OP
OP
Scary Hunter

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
Buenos Dias Real de Tayo:

the 40"x40" coil would be for places where they have put a lot of new soil? (tierra) on it and it is flat. I would use the other coils in the hills. I don't think I will use the 40"x40" at the beginning since I am not going to dig a 6 meters hole right now to find out there is nothing there or only a piece of iron or something like that, I would prefer to go for the ones that are buried under 3 meters.

With the pulse Star you get the 45" and 40x40" coils included with the equipment, so I would have to buy the 10".

With Lorenz you have to chose the coils and I was thinking that I can get the 10.25" coil and get the 40"x40" coil as soon as I feel I have all that I need to dig that much. I am not sure about the 45" since according to what it says it only measures 3.8 meters depth, so it is not a very big difference from the 10.25" coil. (in case the description of the coils at kellyco is correct)

The 10.25" from Lorenz LP2X says that it can go 3 meters deep and can be used as a pinpointer, while Pulse star II with 10" coil says it can go 1.80 meters deep... so if these are real I would prefer the Lorenz. I told Kellyco about it and they say Pulse Star goes as deep as the Lorenz... I just send her the table this morning but I still haven't received any answer. I think this person will hate me, but I am not going to spend so much money and then find out that it is not what I want/need.

You know I want a detector that I can use for many years and not to buy a lot of them. According to a person that knows this places he says that they have found gold pots 0.5 and 6 meters deep. They also have found some idols made of pottery which I don't know if a metal detector can find them or not.

El Coyote Cojo

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2007
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hi Scary Hunter,

I used to own a Pulse Star II pro and a Notsi Mole Impulse Pro. I consider that the Pulse Star II Pro detector is far better than the Notsi, but I can not compare it against the Lorenz because I never have had one of those units.

If you are trying to find something at about 6 meters then you can discard the Deepers, because they are not offering the 80x80 inches coil (2x2 meters), and you will need it to get to that deep.

The Notsi and the Pulse Star can do it, both have the 2x2 meters coil. If you try to find coins or small objects too then the Notsi is not the correct device, they do not offer small coils but, on the other hand they have a 3 by 3 meters coil while the Pulse Star's bigger coil is 2x2 meters as the Lorenz LPX2. The Notsi can go deeper.

The Pulse Star is easier to stabilize or balance, and it is more practical to carry, and it has a lot of accesories and coils. You can use it as a general purpose detector, it is good to find small objects like coins and bigger objects like a chest or a "cantaro lleno de monedas de oro y plata".

I recommend the Pulse Star II Pro because I do not know the lorenz. The disadvantages of the Notsi are the hard to balance it is, it is good to find big objects only and the lower quality components. A nice device for big treasures, but not as good as the other one.

I would like to know which detector is better between the Pulse Star and the Lorenz LPX2, if you buy the Lorenz LPX2 please let us know your opinion about the detector. The Lorenz looks good in the pictures, I mean it looks well-made.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Scary Hunter

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
Hello Coyote

I bought the Lorenz, I read some info from the Pulse Star II and Lorenz from other treasure hunt lists and Deepers and it talked good things about Lorenz. I use the 18" coil most of the time and found some garbage 50 cms deep. The only problem I had was with red clay because of the high mineralization, but the solution was to take the coil a little more far away from the ground. With the 18" coil you can not find single coins unless that they are on the top of the ground but it can find nails, but well I am looking for more than one coin :P. I still haven't tried the 1x1 meter coil but I think I will try it on my land and I want to try it also in a friend's land where someone told him that they have seen" arder el dinero"
There are also many flat places where we can use the 1x1 meter coil, the problem is that some are close to the highway and there is a lot of light in that area and as you know we can not tell anyone what are we doing there and they say that a person found many gold pots while he was "arando la tierra" also we got 6 new patrols on all that area on December, so it won't be as easy as before to get to some places or leave the car alone.

I really like the Lorenz because you can walk fast and it will beep if there is a metal on the ground, it is amazing how much garbage is in some places that are difficult to reach and the kind of metals you find that we really ask ourselves what do that stuff has to do there.

I really can not compare physically Lorenz to Pulse Star since I don't have the Pulse Star or know someone that has it, but Lorenz is automatic and Pulse Star have many things to calibrate.

El Coyote Cojo

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2007
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hey Scary Hunter,

Thanks for the feedback. I am planning to buy a new detector and the Lorenz LPX2 looks like a good device to have in hand. I received the Lorenz Deepmax X3 DVD and it is very good. It can deal with mineralization trough two filters with manual adjustement among other features. The bad part is the price.

Just remember that if you are looking for the pot of gold where they saw "arder el dinero", the money is not below the place or the fire. You will need to walk around in a spiral way. Starting where they saw the ligth and ending probably 20 or 30 mtr away.

You can get the book "Secretos de la localización de tesoros". It was written by Vicente Contreras Vázquez. You can get a lot of tips from that book. It is not the best or up to date reference but still a good one. You can get it from www.detectores.com.mx.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Scary Hunter

Scary Hunter

Oct 9, 2006
Mexico City
Detector(s) used
Lorenz LPX2
thank you very much for the tips.

By the way before I bought the detector I contacted Lorenz in Germany to know how deep it went and they told me that the LPX2 goes 20% less deeper than the Deepmax so you can consider this.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a fairly new discriminating P.I. out that's far deeper than the Notsi (which is a fairly cheap machine so not bad for the money) called the Stinger. Far cheaper than the Lorenz or the Pulse Star.
I haven't handled one but I think its supposed to do what you want.
I'll find a link if your interested.

Brian

El Coyote Cojo

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2007
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hi U.K. Brian,

Thanks for the information. I am interested in the new detector you are talking about. Would you mind to get some references to it? Thanks in advance!

I agree with you that the Notsi is a good device for the price. By the way, they have a new model: the mole impulse digital. It looks more friendly. If Nosti were offering small coils probably I will try the new one.

Regards!

El Coyote Cojo

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2007
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Finally I bought a Lorenz LPX2 ...

It is good and stable. It is very easy to use and has just a few controls. It is easier to carry and lightweight. It is well-made. It does not has a power control, it turns on when you connect the coil ... this is a very nice feature.

Compared with the pulse star, the Pulse Star is more on the "Pro" side: The S-style rod is better and it gets smaller. You have more coils available (at least the cylindrical probe) and accesories (like a solar charger for the battery).

Talking about the features of each detector the Pulse Star is more configurable. Yes, you are going to spend more time learning how to use it (the manuals are not good, none of them) but at the end you will have more controls to cope with the terrain.

The discriminator in the Pulse Star is reliable once you know it, and it is very helpful when you are hunting. The delay button helps to eliminate the surface trash to some limit and allows you to connect the different size coils with better results. Having a volume control is good. The Lorenz does not have it.

Both are very good and nice devices, high quality. The Pulse Star gives you more tools to work with.

Regards!

El Coyote Cojo

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2007
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I forgot to mention another feature of the pulse star: The "Silent mode" search.

In this mode the detector tries to auto-ground balance itself. It can eliminate most of the "hot rocks" in the soil. You have to pay for this feature: the detection depth is reduced between 10% and 40% depending of the ground conditions, but this is another very nice tool to have in hand while in the field.

Regards!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread