Looks like I may be re-thinking my choice of md

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
FIsher F2, Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talked to a couple places today, no one has the 705's from what I can see and don't know when they will be in! I did get some pretty good prices shot at me today for an AT PRo and an AT Pro sports pack! Not sure about going that route though due to some things' i've read about coil issues (paint on the coil) and it going erratic when bumping into things ea: sticks, etc. Don't want to get one and have to send it back . :(
Or I may go the 505 route, he has those in stock. Not sure if I want to lose the extra bells n whistles going from a 705 to a 505 , but on the other hand not sure if those things are really going to matter to me personally or not , being new at this and all. :BangHead:

Upvote 0

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talked to a couple places today, no one has the 705's from what I can see and don't know when they will be in! I did get some pretty good prices shot at me today for an AT PRo and an AT Pro sports pack! Not sure about going that route though due to some things' i've read about coil issues (paint on the coil) and it going erratic when bumping into things ea: sticks, etc. Don't want to get one and have to send it back . :(
Or I may go the 505 route, he has those in stock. Not sure if I want to lose the extra bells n whistles going from a 705 to a 505 , but on the other hand not sure if those things are really going to matter to me personally or not , being new at this and all. :BangHead:

If your heart is set on the Minelab, don't settle for anything else.
I had my heart set on the Minelab Sovereign, I got talked into buying the Whites Spectrum XLT by a fast talking sales women in a party store.
I was just Not happy with it at all, It worked real good, just not what I wanted.
I bought the Minelab the next year.
Follow your Heart.
Happy Hunting
Kevin

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of my detectorist friends start out on the low cost no frills detectors and before long they move up to a more sophysticated one as they gain experience. Many have the mistaken idea that all you have to do is find a detector with a respectable review and they will immediately find "treasure". Unfortunately it don't work that way. I think better than 50% of ones ability to find treasure is from gaining experience and being able to understand what your detector is telling you , not what detector is the best. There is really no "best" detector, they will all find something. It's up to the operator to develope skills to determine what that somethiing is, treasure or trash. Most of all, when first beginning, don't make it a chore, rather have fun with it and treasure what hyou findas well as finding treasure. I have a bucket full of "junque" that I treasure, not because it is worth $$$, rather because of the memories it brings back as far as where and how I found it. Monty

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think alot of it comes with the grounds your hunting no matter the detector used you wont find it when its not there ....im not talking you out west or east guys with all the history under you im talking the midwest where some towns like my own weren't even established until the early 1900's

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah Indiana is probably not the best, but it is what it is. :laughing9: I know I have a lot of learning to do but I don't want to have to purchase several md's to get the right one. I'm hoping to get a good one and stick with it. We already have a starter unit (ace 250) in the "aresenal" so this one needs to be a bit better.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure you can find some old silver in your area im at 2 oz's of silver and coins my ace 350 finds them without problems when im at the right places....but finding those places are tougher then finding the silver did you ever research target recovery speed tests on the detectors your looking to buy?...

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im sure you can find some old silver in your area im at 2 oz's of silver and coins my ace 350 finds them without problems when im at the right places....but finding those places are tougher then finding the silver did you ever research target recovery speed tests on the detectors your looking to buy?...

Yezzir! :thumbsup:
Well I tell ya, I had an offer today that I may not be able to refuse. I may actually get the AT Pro :) Spoke with a very nice guy today and he told me that it was a little more user friendly or easier than the 705 in his opinion. He actually has both md's so that's not a problem! woot woot
But I could get the at pro sport pack for basically the same price as the x terra 705. So it's hard for me to choose the 705 instead when I could get a MD with two coils...DD no less, covers, headphones and a very sexy camo hat (and i do love camo) ;) ....that can go in the water!! It's like I'm getting so much more. IDK i'm fureaking drained from thinking. But I do know this, I am going to buy from him. :)

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure: The 705 came in today, and I can tell you I am going to be spending some hours learning this thing before I can be effective with it. It will be worth it though. I just took it out around our place on factory presets over ground I had covered several times with the old Garrett Treasure Ace 300, and the Xterra was reading (and dismissing) all kinds of targets. Can't wait to get the hang of it!

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
awesome!! very exciting :) Good luck with it & HH ;)

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gates to finds heaven don't open up with the purchase of a detector upgrade and you are thinking way too much. How do I know this, because you're treating it just like I would. :tongue3: The truth is some good research and a 250 will find you WAY more than the best detector and no research. Moving up in detectors might eventually make a difference in a few % more finds, but you're stressing about the wrong thing and losing the first 97%. In other words sites is what matters, detector is just the tool to be able to drag it all home.

If you want the 705, wait and get the 705, because if you don't you'll be swinging the 505 and questioning yourself. A about a year ago I kinda had the same dilemma while watch shopping.... buy what I kinda liked and could easily afford, and just say screw it and get what I really wanted and make some deal with myself that I'll never buy another. Yes I said screw it. (and have bought two more since) :laughing7: Luckily I have settled on one detector which I doubt will ever change.
This!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yezzir! :thumbsup:
Well I tell ya, I had an offer today that I may not be able to refuse. I may actually get the AT Pro :) Spoke with a very nice guy today and he told me that it was a little more user friendly or easier than the 705 in his opinion. He actually has both md's so that's not a problem! woot woot
But I could get the at pro sport pack for basically the same price as the x terra 705. So it's hard for me to choose the 705 instead when I could get a MD with two coils...DD no less, covers, headphones and a very sexy camo hat (and i do love camo) ;) ....that can go in the water!! It's like I'm getting so much more. IDK i'm fureaking drained from thinking. But I do know this, I am going to buy from him. :)
Here is something to consider....Both the 705 & AT Pro are great detectors...I ended up going with the AT pro for the fact if it looks like its gonna rain....I will go now (its waterproof) & the fact that I have a few swimming holes in my area that other detectors would not attempt to try!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live about five hours drive away I just currently bought the Minelab water detector to it cost me around 1200 to 1678.of. See you on the land. Hope to hear back from everyone soon. Thanks very little.
Gleaner...you are crazy.

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think i'm gonna go with the AT Pro sport pack! :) Thanks to all!

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your choice... Remember to show us your finds!

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think you'll be happy with the AT Pro. I borrowed one from a friend this past week just to try it out. I took it to the local beach ( New Jersey Shore) and it worked flawlessly on the sand, and with a quick rebalance the wet sand and low surf. I also used it on a field and it responded well and gave good depth. Very easy to operate, even without reading any instructions. No issues at all, they have fixed all early problems. I was very impressed.

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Jerseyhunter for letting me know! Makes me feel more confident about my choice. :)

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try tesoro stingray, its waterproof and great for land and beach!

USTreasureClub

Oct 16, 2010
treasure4pleasure said:
Thanks everyone for the replies.
It is maddening but I do want to weigh all my options. I think i did kind of "write off" some brands in favor of others. I probably will stick with my original but I don't like not knowing when there will be one in stock. Im not willing to wait a month or more. :(
I am reading up on the teknetics omega right now because of some suggestions. From what i've read it is good finding coins and that's a plus.
I'm also wondering if the x terra 505 would work as well for me and if i really "need" the extra options the 705 has.... hmmm

Hi, the new White's with the wireless headset is amazing. If you have the extra money to spend and you have some good sites to dig, you will probably make your money back very quickly. Happy Hunting...

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT Pro, and love it. I have found 11 rings (6 gold, 4 silver, and 1 steal) pounds of clad, 5 silver coins, lots of tokens, and lots of other items just since February. The issues you refer to were from the first year it was released, but the new ones have been fixed! The first thing you will notice is the different sounds, and how they get louder and softer depending on depth and size of the item. Another great feature is the waterproof up to 10 feet. I have been caught in hard rains and I also water hunt. Like with any detector, you have to log hours using and learning your machine no matter what brand. Good luck and happy hunting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread