Looks like I may be re-thinking my choice of md

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
FIsher F2, Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Talked to a couple places today, no one has the 705's from what I can see and don't know when they will be in! I did get some pretty good prices shot at me today for an AT PRo and an AT Pro sports pack! Not sure about going that route though due to some things' i've read about coil issues (paint on the coil) and it going erratic when bumping into things ea: sticks, etc. Don't want to get one and have to send it back . :(
Or I may go the 505 route, he has those in stock. Not sure if I want to lose the extra bells n whistles going from a 705 to a 505 , but on the other hand not sure if those things are really going to matter to me personally or not , being new at this and all. :BangHead:

Upvote 0

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Pro. It's a great machine. I get a lot of depth on coins with it and it does a great job of picking out the treasure among the trash. You will have to get used to the tones though. Happy hunting no matter which one you decide to go with.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Not sure about going that route though due to some things' i've read about coil issues (paint on the coil) and it going erratic when bumping into things ea: sticks, etc."

those problems have been fixed and were only present in the first year the at pro came out.(as far as i have read) at pro is not as lightwieght or well ballanced as some other detectors.
have you checked on any of the fisher or teknetics machines i mentioned in another thread.?
chuck.

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Not sure about going that route though due to some things' i've read about coil issues (paint on the coil) and it going erratic when bumping into things ea: sticks, etc."

those problems have been fixed and were only present in the first year the at pro came out.(as far as i have read) at pro is not as lightwieght or well ballanced as some other detectors.
have you checked on any of the fisher or teknetics machines i mentioned in another thread.?
chuck.
well i read some recent stuff :( but i dont know how long they've actually had the detector. I am looking at those two brands and comparing on side by side chart but 705 always looks better as far as xtras :)

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I would shop around, keep looking, I bet someone out there has a 705 ready to ship, at a cheaper price. Be a bit patient, it's your first machine. Go with your instinct, make it happen, even if you lose a day or two.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro detectors are great. However I was disappointed with Deleon. It has auto ground Balance and does not do well with all the hot rocks out west. Several tesoros have a manual ground balance though and are easy to adjust. By design they are durable analog machines with a lifetime warranty and the best service. I love the sound a Tesoro makes when you are compelled to dig.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
The best detector to buy is the one you studied and set your heart on. Nobody, and I mean nobody, puts paint on the coils. Ever. I say stick with the Minelab, and get a coil cover, and a mentor. Do not rule out Fisher. Check out F5.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read the reviews for any detector before you make a decision. Don't just listen to one or two dealers and think that they must know what's best since they sell them. Extensive reviews are available with a simple Google search. Read what others had to say about the machine and form your own opinion or at least educate yourself a bit before walking into a shop. I own a AT PRO which I've found a lot of gold and silver with and never had a problem. I still haven't matched that with my new/used Minelab SE.

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
xxxx, unfortunately there aren't any dealers near me so I am not going to be able to try one out first. Just make my best educated guess as what I want.
I seriously considered Vaquero but I want a screen with a number readout.
I am however tired of reading/researching and want to be done with it. lol
*Oh and believe me, I am quite the researcher. lol ;) I don't buy anything without researching first.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
705, atpro, deleon, f5, new/used se.....are there more anyone? treasure, stick with 705, it's what you researched and decided to get. Go for it. Just be patient. There aint much to find nowadays, and its awful tough findin it. Its tougher to find crap than it is to decide what to buy. But you did it, you decided, so go for it or you will kick yourself in the ass if you dont. You will have nobody to blame but yourself. After you get it, try to get some good buddy to show you the ropes, tectin aint really as easy as it looks at first. Learnin tectin is the toughest task at the end of the day.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went NUTS researching metal detectors before I actually bought one. Reviews, reviews, reviews.. YouTube vids, forums, threads.. arrrggh. I ended up buying the ACE 250 because it seemed to be the right choice at the time. One year later I bought the AT PRO from a forum member new for $600 and one year after that, [this year] I bought the Minelab SE for $600 from a local forum member. I still want to buy more 8-)

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't paint coils outside but some are painted on the inside to provide the Faraday shield and these can fail if the coil hits a stone and the wire springs loose.

As for having a "screen" it adds extra cost and will mislead. O.K. for coinshooting and quick flicks round the park but its better to learn to listen to what the detectors audio is saying.

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the replies.
It is maddening but I do want to weigh all my options. I think i did kind of "write off" some brands in favor of others. I probably will stick with my original but I don't like not knowing when there will be one in stock. Im not willing to wait a month or more. :(
I am reading up on the teknetics omega right now because of some suggestions. From what i've read it is good finding coins and that's a plus.
I'm also wondering if the x terra 505 would work as well for me and if i really "need" the extra options the 705 has.... hmmm

USTreasureClub

Oct 16, 2010
treasure4pleasure said:
Talked to a couple places today, no one has the 705's from what I can see and don't know when they will be in! I did get some pretty good prices shot at me today for an AT PRo and an AT Pro sports pack! Not sure about going that route though due to some things' i've read about coil issues (paint on the coil) and it going erratic when bumping into things ea: sticks, etc. Don't want to get one and have to send it back . :(
Or I may go the 505 route, he has those in stock. Not sure if I want to lose the extra bells n whistles going from a 705 to a 505 , but on the other hand not sure if those things are really going to matter to me personally or not , being new at this and all. :BangHead:

Hi,

I am from Rhode Island. As everyone knows, RI is loaded with beaches and old homes. I am looking for some people to go detecting with. If you live in RI and want a partner, please respond. I currently just purchased the Minelab water detector. It cost me around $1350 to $1500 with the Anderson shaft and extra battery pack. Looking forward to getting in the water with it soon. Hope to hear back from you. Thanks

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the replies.
It is maddening but I do want to weigh all my options. I think i did kind of "write off" some brands in favor of others. I probably will stick with my original but I don't like not knowing when there will be one in stock. Im not willing to wait a month or more. :(
I am reading up on the teknetics omega right now because of some suggestions. From what i've read it is good finding coins and that's a plus.
I'm also wondering if the x terra 505 would work as well for me and if i really "need" the extra options the 705 has.... hmmm

The gates to finds heaven don't open up with the purchase of a detector upgrade and you are thinking way too much. How do I know this, because you're treating it just like I would. :tongue3: The truth is some good research and a 250 will find you WAY more than the best detector and no research. Moving up in detectors might eventually make a difference in a few % more finds, but you're stressing about the wrong thing and losing the first 97%. In other words sites is what matters, detector is just the tool to be able to drag it all home.

If you want the 705, wait and get the 705, because if you don't you'll be swinging the 505 and questioning yourself. A about a year ago I kinda had the same dilemma while watch shopping.... buy what I kinda liked and could easily afford, and just say screw it and get what I really wanted and make some deal with myself that I'll never buy another. Yes I said screw it. (and have bought two more since) :laughing7: Luckily I have settled on one detector which I doubt will ever change.

Last edited:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I live about five hours drive away I just currently bought the Minelab water detector to it cost me around 1200 to 1678.of. See you on the land. Hope to hear back from everyone soon. Thanks very little.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True the sites are the key i spend more time searching for sites then i do swinging on sites atm ...but it would be really nice to have a detctor that can tell the dif between a bottle cap and a pop can and a coin

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
T4P: My 705 is due here today, according to Fedex tracking. I found mine at NWI. They seem to trickle in. I would get on the list with Larry at NWI, Bart at Big Boys and a couple of other dealers. I'll bet you'll find one sooner than you think!

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Bill! :) Let me know how you like it.
I may do that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread