Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't leave a lot af room given that u need a pinpointer too. The cheap will find stuff but u need to not make big holes looking for the target. Home owners are a little touchy about that. Check kellyco, they have used ones too.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and Welcome from White Plains, New York! Are you SURE you want a screen? You can get a Tesoro Compadre, Lesche hand digger, knee pads, a good finds bag, gloves and a pinpointer for around $350.00

Going to purchase my first detector this week. I am on a budget ad have been reading a lot on this site. My budget is $300. The only preference I have is I want a screen. I'm open to combo packages from dealers also. I will be looking for coins and relics mainly around home sites and farms.

Any and all input appreciated.

Mike.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would highly suggest the ace 250 combo pack its an incredible starter detector

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry Soloman is right. And I agree. You don't need a screen. It is the SOUND that you must learn! All else is a distant second.... just bells and whistles (nice.... but not needed). TTC

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to say Fisher F2, Harbor Freight pinpointer and a Lesche will still leave you gas and burger money.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ace 250 has a pinpointer built into it

Patfoundit

May 13, 2011
Shelbyville,KY
I have and still us a Whites coin master. Even though it's showing its age,it is still a good detector for my wife to start off with. I've used it since the late 70's and now my wife if getting interested in detecting with me. I'm looking at getting her the coin pro. For the money I don't think you can go wrong and its a great machine to see if relic hunting is a hobby you want to pursue. I think every house hold should have a metal detector. I'm glad I had one when my three year old daughter decided to hide all the lug nuts (She called them Easter Eggs) from my truck while I was rotating the tires.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ace 250 has a pinpointer built into it

The Garrett Pro-Pointer is far superior to the pin-pointer function in the unit itself. Best $127.45 I've spent in a long time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skip the screen, you don't need it, I bet 90% of the people that are good using a detector with a screen started on a detector with no screen and learned to understand the detector and the sounds first, a screen is just going to lie to you since you want understand the tones and you will be relying on the screen and skipping good targets....

I would seriously consider a good Tesoro for that amount of money, I know it seems like a lot to you but that price will keep you on the beginner detectors range unless you buy used. You might check out our Classified Form and see what pops up...

Last edited:

saltwater_max

Jan 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
All Brands,Whites Garrett,Tesoro,Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What part of the country in, what are the soil condions? That could help you in what detector to start with,when I move around sometimes I switch brands,just a thought

Last edited:

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I use detectors with screens now but one year I used a Tesoro Cibola and that year I found 11 rings. You dig more with a screenless machines but chances are you are going to find more tokens and jewelry.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use detectors with screens now but one year I used a Tesoro Cibola and that year I found 11 rings. You dig more with a screenless machines but chances are you are going to find more tokens and jewelry.
Tesoro machines are awesome. The sound is easy to learn. Depend on it. It will find when more expensive machines will not. It is common to find junk and coins in the same hole, while the machine with all the bells and whistles nulls out.

New Direction

Apr 10, 2012
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with my bounty hunter quick draw 2. I like it compared to my friends ace 250 which I have tried a couple times. I would say they are about even just in differant ways. But looking back I wish I went with a Tesoro machine. I am drooling over getting a Vaquero and it will be my next.

Trust me the screen doesnt mean much. Atleast not on something $300 or less. The screen can spot coins pretty reliably but anything else is hit or miss. So when coins are the only reliable reading thats the only thing you can shoot for. If your shooting for coins then it stands to reason you're going to aim for anything above a zinc penny signal. At this point you're going to dig wahtever the machine tells you is above a zinc. So why do you really need a screen to tell you what it may be when you're going to dig it anyway.

If you're going for jewelry or anything else, you have to dig all signals besides maybe the lowest. At this point what does the screen help? Nothing cause you're digging everything anyway.

There are ways to tell what the Tesoro is picking up without a screen aswell. Just by using the discrimination knob.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett Pro-Pointer is far superior to the pin-pointer function in the unit itself. Best $127.45 I've spent in a long time.

no doubt there

dirtfisher

May 10, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster GT, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cibola, HF9F Metal Detector.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with my bounty hunter quick draw 2. I like it compared to my friends ace 250 which I have tried a couple times. I would say they are about even just in differant ways. But looking back I wish I went with a Tesoro machine. I am drooling over getting a Vaquero and it will be my next.

Trust me the screen doesnt mean much. Atleast not on something $300 or less. The screen can spot coins pretty reliably but anything else is hit or miss. So when coins are the only reliable reading thats the only thing you can shoot for. If your shooting for coins then it stands to reason you're going to aim for anything above a zinc penny signal. At this point you're going to dig wahtever the machine tells you is above a zinc. So why do you really need a screen to tell you what it may be when you're going to dig it anyway.

If you're going for jewelry or anything else, you have to dig all signals besides maybe the lowest. At this point what does the screen help? Nothing cause you're digging everything anyway.

There are ways to tell what the Tesoro is picking up without a screen aswell. Just by using the discrimination knob.

New Direction is right. If it is not coins you are hunting, you will have to rely on the sound anyway. Starting out with a screenless machine is the only way to go. You will find that the sounds will become second nature shortly and before long, you will be able to tell what kind of item is in the ground just by the sound alone anyway. I promise that it is not hard to learn. I started out with a screenless machine and stayed that way. For a while, I wanted a machine with a screen. But soon found out that my buddies were missing a lot of the good stuff and I was going behind them digging it up just because their screen said it was something entirely different. Give me the beep and dig detector any day. A nice tesoro would do you nicely. I use the tesoro cibola. The choice is entirely up to you of course. Best wishes on whatever detector you decide and welcome to the hobby. :-)

OP
OP
S

sugarbear9959

Tenderfoot
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like I'm going with the ace 250. Thanks for all the input. I'm looking forward to sharing my adventures here.

Anybody else from Georgia?

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cant wait to see your finds good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread