BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
I am Pete. I have been detecting off and on for years, usually an el-cheapo bargain basement detector from yard sales.
Right now, I have an F2 Fisher. It does ok. I find stuff. Last year I took it to the beach. I did real well with it. Found enough money to pay for lunch in one day. That trip really got me hooked. I have been detecting more ever since.
I live in TN. No salt water here, but still plenty of lake beaches and river beds. I want a new detector. I would love to have an Excal II for the underwater aspect. I wont dive, but I might snorkel when I go to the beach, once or twice a year.
I go to the rivers and lakes often with the family.
Tennessee has a lot of different soils. I get signals all the time that I chase for minutes just to discover it was some rock.
I have asked the big online store twice now about a few detectors over the past two months and still have not been answered (via email)
Can someone give me a little insight as to which detector I should get?
Here are the ones I have been looking at.
Minelab Soveriegn
Minelab Excal II
Whites MXT Pro
Garrett Infinium LS

I really like the idea of waterproof, but not being able to change headphones and coils is a big turn off.
I like a readout so I can see what I am digging, but I am able to learn sounds and determine which is junk, etc.
I like the fact that Minelab has multiple frequencies, but not sure if that is absolutely necessary.
I have a local Whites dealer, but I believe he is biased :).

Please help
Thanks
Pete

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Beefy. Welcome to the BEST treasure net on the net. I have been hunting on land and water for 40+ years. I would like to give you some tips and insights. First, waterproof is a big deal. In order for the manufactures to say WATERPROOF, they need to make the coils and earphones NOT removeable by us mod-freaks. That's why they are part of the system. You don't need a display. It is the SOUND that you will depend on. You will learn this in time. And it WILL take time. Although I have never owned a Minelab Excalibur, they seem to be the KING of the saltwater machines. I own a Fisher Impulse 8. It is out of print but it has served me well for many years. Other than the above suggestions, I will not suggest any others because there are many well-made machines to choose from. Find a multiple brand dealer and MAKE him go through the parameters for your needs. Ok, Pete. I would also say, stay with the F2 a little longer. You may find you don't need any other for quite some time! Good luck on your choice. TTC

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pete...for the money I would go with the MXT Pro if I were you. White's is a great company and if you ever encounter any problems with it..just send it in and they give you a brand new machine. I was in your same boat about 2 months ago. Bought my dad an MXT Pro and myself a DFX300. I paid 300 more for mine and he's finding way more silver and gold! Buy one and you won't be disappointed!

flatsix

Jan 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pete you need the Garrett AT pro.its waterproof(as in all the way underwater),easy to use,lightweight,(I sold my MXT pro because it was to heavy)and it has an audio system that will cut years off the learning curve(with my eyes closed I can tell a pull tab from a nickel). it is awesome in trashy areas.I have several machines the AT is my favorite.It really is a joy to use.Of course this is just my opinio based on my in the field experience.

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Pete! I bought an exclabur 2 a few weeks ago. I did a lot of research and watched videos on YouTube of it in action. I wanted something that could do salt water, fresh water and land all in one. I just wanted to suggest making sure some of the other machines would do fresh and salt water both as I have read some machines only do well in one or the other but not both. Good luck!

OP
OP
BigBeefy

BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tennesseegal, how is it working for you? I too am in TN.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just one more to throw into the mix if you are looking for waterproof and are thinking of mostly fresh water sites. The Tiger Shark is great, picks out tiny pieces of gold and is light enough for shoreline hunting. Plus the fantastic Tesoro warranty will save you a ton of money over time. Keep the F2 and add the Tiger Shark and you got it covered.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I agree with FlatSix, Check out the Garrett AT Pro, it sounds like what you are looking for, has a display, roll tone audio, standard and pro modes.lots of bells and whistles i love mine!

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BigBeefy said:
Tennesseegal, how is it working for you? I too am in TN.

I love mine! I haven't been to the ocean yet but it does the trick on land and in freshwater. it isnt balanced as well as my xlt but i'll probably be adapting it to a belt any way. Im still learning the sounds, basically I dig everything and am getting to where I can usually tell if something will be trash from the wavering in tone. But ya never know! LOL

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TNGAL, I bought one of the harnesses for mine. It helps tremendously to relieve some of the weight on the exal.

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
s.c.shooter said:
TNGAL, I bought one of the harnesses for mine. It helps tremendously to relieve some of the weight on the exal.

Thanks S.C! I thought about trying to make one but I bet they aren't that expensive. I'd probably be much better off just buying it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

rthubel

Jun 5, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 2
Minelab Quattro
Garret GTAx 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tennesseegal,

Just buy a backpack that has an adjustable waist belt..... punch 2 holes in it to line up with Excal 2 bolts and off you go.

I bought the Drago (black combat) backpack for about 40.00. It has a nice wide padded belt with a quick release plastic buckle and it is adjustable. It is set up so you can even attach things to the belt.... knife, tools, compass, etc.

I have been in and out of the ocean so many times... just rinse and go.

And you still get the backpack.

rthubel

Jun 5, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 2
Minelab Quattro
Garret GTAx 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tennesseegal,

Oh yea....forgot to mention. Take the belt off the backpack, then use it..... held on by velcro.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to love when a company sells you an expensive waterproof detector and don't add the headphones

*Submersible headphones not included
:laughing9:

It's like buying a car and paying extra just to get a key to start it :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread