Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    May 2012
    Dover , DE
    White's M6, Detector Pro Uni-Probe headphones, Tesoro Sand Shark , Fisher F2
    8 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I would look at the AT Pro. It takes time to train your ears on tones. The screen will help you if you don't go frequently. I found some sponsors will do lay away for ya. Generally 60 to 90 days. It's a big purchase when you have a family to take care of. The best machine is the one you will use!

us
    Apr 2012
    Indiana
    FIsher F2, Garrett ace 250
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    I've watched those vids by 53 silver. He's the one who got me interested in the vaqs lol
    jtindover: I have been planning on the at pro sport pack, but starting to feel like i don't want to drop that much $ honestly. I have no doubt they're great!
    Heck i've honestly considered a Compadre, which after buying a garrett pp and a digger i'd be sitting a little prettier $wise. Or maybe a step up from the compadre. idk i'm confused!

us
    Jul 2008
    Minelab Excal 2- Fisher F-2 - AT PRO
    54 times
    If you're mainly looking to coin shoot you might want to consider selling your 250,putting a few bucks with it and getting the 350;That machine is a real coin killer. Don't think that you might not be as serious about this as others, this hobby is ADDICTING!LOL!
    The main thing is to enjoy it though.

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    363 times
    Quote Originally Posted by s.c.shooter View Post
    If you're mainly looking to coin shoot you might want to consider selling your 250,putting a few bucks with it and getting the 350;That machine is a real coin killer. Don't think that you might not be as serious about this as others, this hobby is ADDICTING!LOL!
    The main thing is to enjoy it though.
    Theres not alot of dif between the 250 and the 350 besides the coil it works the same

us
    Apr 2012
    Indiana
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    THe 250 is my 12 year old sons detector. I"m getting one for myself so we can both hunt!! I don't really want another Garrett unless it's the AT Pro and I don't know if i want to spend that or even if it's entirely necessary for me.

us
    May 2012
    Dover , DE
    White's M6, Detector Pro Uni-Probe headphones, Tesoro Sand Shark , Fisher F2
    8 times
    I have been considering a Compadre myself. I just got a beach machine a few weeks ago. I have a F2 that does pretty good on coins. However that Compadre is legendary from all I read. If you wanted to save the $ grab a compadre or the F2, or just go all out and get the AT Pro

Charter Member
    us
    Getter done

Sep 2007
    Terra Bella, Ca.
    DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
    209 times
    I don't know your situation for dollars but there are several reputable dealers listed on this site that sell used machines and new and are able to take payments and layaways. I have purchased from a couple and would highly recommend calling any or all of them and talk with them about the type of hunting you will do, they can answer all your questions and maybe make you feel at ease when getting into this great hobby. From my experiecnes and others I have talked to when you start this hobby it will usually become an addiction. One other thought is that you might look for a MD club in your local area to tie into or there maybe some MDers in your area that are willing to take you under there arm. Here is a link that might also give you some more info on costs and reveiws. www.metaldetectorreview.com again best of luck
    Remember 9-1-1 and all the Fallen Firefighters and Police Officers. Never forget the price they paid for our Freedom.

God Bless the men and women past, present, and future who serve this country by serving in the military.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Solider, one died for your soul the other died for your freedom.

What a shame that scientists will call a cell on another planet "life", but they won't acknowledge a fetus as life until it is born.

May 2012
    Also check aether the detector you are buying will cause interferance with or be interfered by your sons detector. Some will cause chirping if to close to each other.

us
    Apr 2012
    Indiana
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks all I hope I dont' get one that interferes with my sons ace

us
    Feb 2012
    CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
    567 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    treasure4pleasure.Why not try an ace 350, it goes a bit deeper and won't interfear with your sons machine.

us
    Apr 2012
    Indiana
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    I hate the bell tone! Not going with garrett this time. Unless I go AT Pro.

us
    Apr 2012
    Cape Cod
    Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
    14 times
    Metal Detecting
    I say Tesoro. If your seriously looking for coins and jewelry then a screen will just hold you back. Especially if you are not an expert with the machine. The screen will make you think its another junk signal and you can skip 1 or 2 of those junk signals. Well my first gold rang up as a pull tab I wish I never saw that ID cause I almost didn't dig it.

Also consider the weight of the machine. Tesoro's look to be really lite. Garrett's to me feel pretty heavy but in a solid sturdy well built way. I haven't swung a Tesoro yet but they look well built(besides maybe lower rod issues).

Also Garrett's to me have too much going on the screen. I know AT PRO has standard and Pro mode but that just adds more crap to learn and wade through.

Consider battery use as well. Tesoro's one 9v AT PRo's use AA's not sure how many (6?). One 9v is pretty lite and easy to pack spares. Also interchange with pin pointers.

My buddy got an AT PRO and he's having trouble in wet salt water sand just like every other detector we have. I am sure he will get it set someday but they are not the answer to everything.
    Even a broken clock is right two times a day.

us
    Apr 2012
    Indiana
    7 times
    Metal Detecting
    def. good points on the tesoro's. I am seriously considering one again. Originally i wanted a Vaquero, but strayed to a TID. Now i'm back to square 1. ugh

Ism
    us
    Jun 2009
    Michigan
    Tesoro Vaquero Whites TDI Minelab Sovereign GT XP Deus
    136 times
    Quote Originally Posted by treasure4pleasure View Post
    def. good points on the tesoro's. I am seriously considering one again. Originally i wanted a Vaquero, but strayed to a TID. Now i'm back to square 1. ugh
    TID machine will naturally drive you to cherry picking. Beep and dig will lead you to more junk but also gold and silver jewelry along with coins. If I'm looking for deep silver, nickles, relics, I use my metered Sovereign GT. If I'm looking for gold, silver, clad and everything else, I use the Vaq and set the disc low and dig dig dig. If you live near the ocean, then its another issue to factor in. Point is, I don't like digging deep holes for junk, thats why I use the metered machine if I think I will be digging deep. A compadre would be a great machine for jewelry. The Cortes is a good detector but it has poor meter resolution. Ie, whats the point of a meter when it can't distinguish between a zinc penny and silver coin?
    When it comes to detecting, you will always find me "out standing in the field".

us
    Apr 2012
    Tesoro Bandito II, Garrett Ace 250, BH LandStar, Time Rander, Discovery 3000, Tracker IV, Discovery 1000, QuickDrawII, Fisher F2.
    65 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by treasure4pleasure View Post
    I'm wondering about maybe a Tesoro. Originally I was interested in a Vaquero but then got away from it. It's hard when you read about so many detectors on here

I may try to do that, sonofadigger.
    I am in Columbus, Ohio. The Ace250 behaves better than my old Bandito here in our red clay. The Ace250 is inexpensive, half the price of the AT Pro.
    If you can't do great things, do small things in a great way. ~Napoleon Hill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors