Md question

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
FIsher F2, Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have decided on an MD and planning on ordering in a couple weeks when my funds are all together...but I have seen a used but not really used (only used inside for airtesting!?) outside I guess, Tesoro Tejon for sale. It isn't new by any means (several yrs old) but just wondering if i should go with this rather than what I was planning on which was the AT Pro sport pack. It would save me some $ but I don't know how good of a machine this is and it doesn't have a screen obviously.
Thoughts??

Upvote 0

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess it depends upon what kind of hunting you like to do. If you like your Ace 250, you will find the AT Pro an easy transition. The Tesoro brand is totally different. Do you want to hunt in water? I love that I don't have to worry about getting the AT Pro wet. I have never used the Tejon, so can't really say how great it is. I had the Tesoro Compadre. I much prefer the Garrett brand. Good luck!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On one hand, Tesoros come with a lifetime warranty and they do honor it. On the other hand remember that it only takes one good find to pay for a detector. I weighed out 3 rings and a bracelet that I found recently and together they were enough to pay for my Minlab Excal. So this is the hobby that can pay for itself. It sometimes takes a lot of effort and sometimes one just gets lucky. So in the end it's up to you. Good luck and happy hunting.

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the tejon is an absolutely fantastic machine but may be a bit much for a beginner. However Tesoro's warranty makes any of their machines a worthwhile investment....Make sure and get good pics of any used detector you purchase and check the seller's feedback..There are many sellers on Tnet (new and Used) who have great feedback and other members won't hesitate to tell you about them..If you decide on the Tejon jump on the forum for help..Read/reread the instruction manual and you may even want to take it with you the first few trips until you get acquainted with your detector.....good luck

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note about Tesoro lifetime warranty, it may not apply to used detectors sold by the original owners. I recently bought a Lobo and was told in was probabley not covered by the lifetime warranty becasue I had bought it used. Just an FYI you might want to talk to someone who really knows the answer. One other thing about the Tesoro is there is no VDI screen with numbers to assist with target ID, only tones for target ID. Best of Luck on making your choice.

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm that's a tough one. I use a Vaquero and know first hand how well Tesoro takes care of their customers. I am willing to bet that even if you are not the original owner they would still honor the warranty. My Vaquero is my fav so far and the Tejon is the next step up from a Vaquero so I would jump at the chance. However, I will say that usually the original owner of a metal detector has more trust and patience in their machine when trying to learn and understand it because there are no worries about previous damage so maybe the at pro is more for you if this is the case. When someone uses the Tejon and knows their machine they rarely ever leave anything in the ground for someone else to find, but like I said, one has to learn the Tejon. If you want an easy transition from the 250 and like more bells and whistles (no offence) then I say go with the AT pro. It is a fine machine from what I hear and most of the kinks have been worked out. Just make sure to ask the seller to give you one that was made in 2012 to make sure you are not sold one of the earlier ones that had a lot of problems with leaking and false signaling. Which ever one you choose I'm sure you will be happy :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well i'm just starting to feel a little guilty about spending so much on a MD when there are other things that come up with three kids y'know. Honestly I just don't know if I will go md'ing THAT much for it to be worth it. Just starting to feel a little sick about it. I don't think I will be as serious about it as some on here.
Pretty sure i'm not going in any lakes md'ing... and it will be just fine if I stick to dry land honestly or a beach on occasion (only on vaca if i did.) as we dont live near any.
This is a tough decision! :/ Mainly what I'm looking for are 1. old coins 2. jewelry and relics would be lastly. A screen with numbers would be nice but the most important thing truly is that it goes deep so I can get those old silver coins. I could live without a screen if it meant saving a lot of bucks.
I have no idea what our soil is like here either. I am in central Indiana if anyone knows anything about it, please let me know.
Just have a lot of stuff coming up for the kids which is requiring $$ ;)

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I may just go with a less expensive md. Just have to figure out what one.

DirtAngler

Jun 18, 2011
SE Pa
Detector(s) used
MX5, M6, GPP, TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't get too hung up on depth. Most coins, including silver and IH's, are generally no deeper than 6". I've been recently hunting an old yard where I found a barber quarter, merc dime, and 4 IH's and none of them were more than 4" deep. It's more a masking event. Yesterday I got a 1873 IH, my oldest coin yet, at 1 to 2 inches.

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish i knew more about md's it would sure help. I guess I need to figure out what features on a metal detector are the most important for successfull old silver finding and just go with that.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish i knew more about md's it would sure help. I guess I need to figure out what features on a metal detector are the most important for successfull old silver finding and just go with that.

i think your best bet is to find a store around you and if your close to indianapolis then there are several just go and look at them see what you like ask questions bout them as far as the soil im a couple hours north of you and the soil varies from really dry to really moist but i have found coins 8-10 inches with the 250 but im also wanting to upgrade to the pro but lately im thinking bout getting the at gold instead i like the all metal mode on it and just seems better but with that said im just not ready to dump 700 bucks on it

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A screen is not necessary, listen to tones in phones, especially faint[deep] ones, My used tesoro stingray was used by a land hunter by error and was half price in Taunton, Mass. Mr. Henderson is wonderful and has lovely family. I was at Ft. Ben Jamin Harrison and saved life with Adjutant General School after college.:4leafclover: I wore out three bounty hunters which were bad in the rain, when children were growing up 4, I had to use duct tape on everything.

Last edited:
OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm wondering about maybe a Tesoro. Originally I was interested in a Vaquero but then got away from it. It's hard when you read about so many detectors on here

I may try to do that, sonofadigger. :)

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A screen is not necessary, listen to tones in phones, especially faint[deep] ones, My used tesoro stingray was used by a land hunter by error and was half price in Taunton, Mass. Mr. Henderson is wonderful and has lovely family. I was at Ft. Ben. Harrison which saved my life[typerwriter school], then to Korea. Started with a Radio Shack witch found stuff? 1972, Use all metal mode and go slow slow slow! PS the gold rings it found paid for it. One was on the floor at the jewelers so I put it in the pile. You could check field test on Lost treasure Magazine site for any detector.

Last edited:

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I upgraded it took me a few months to make my mind up. I was dead set on a fisher f5. I ordered it and right after Kellyco shipped it I started reading some bad reviews about the f5's depth. Man was I let down, not just because of the reviews but also because I had to start all over again with searching for metal detectors. I just about went bonkers trying to figure out which one I wanted. I settled on a Vaquero for a number of reasons and I have been super happy. When I first started looking for a new MD I was bouncing all over on my choice because of all of the bells and whistles. I realized that although ID screens are helpful most lie and I didn't need or want that distraction. ID tone was another thing I was interested in but I read that most of the seasoned detectorists like one tone so they could really focus in on how that one tone changes acording to what metal is under the coil. In my opinion that old saying "less is more" applies here.

I am a professional musician by trade and have learned in this field as well as others that it is always better to have equipment that is really good at a few things and ok at others, instead of something that CLAIMS it can do it all (bells and whistles). ANother way of looking at it is if I was lost in the woods I would rather have a large sturdy survival knife instead of a tiny swiss army knife with all the bells and whistles.

I also took into account of how hard it was to find any bad reviews on the Vaquero. The lifetime warranty, the depth it can get, lightweight, only uses one 9 volt battery etc etc. There are also tricks of the trade with this detector to ID what is in the ground before you dig, watch this

Anyways whatever you go with make sure you dont get caught up in bells and wistles. I am super glad I sent that f5 fisher back and settled on a Vaquero. This is all in my opinion of course. We all have our prefrences

Last edited:

jtindover

May 8, 2012
Dover , DE
Detector(s) used
minelab Equinox 600,Minelab Excalibur 2, White's M6, Detector Pro Uni-Probe headphones, Tesoro Sand Shark , Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre 8", Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would look at the AT Pro. It takes time to train your ears on tones. The screen will help you if you don't go frequently. I found some sponsors will do lay away for ya. Generally 60 to 90 days. It's a big purchase when you have a family to take care of. The best machine is the one you will use!

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've watched those vids by 53 silver. :) He's the one who got me interested in the vaqs lol
jtindover: I have been planning on the at pro sport pack, but starting to feel like i don't want to drop that much $ honestly. I have no doubt they're great!
Heck i've honestly considered a Compadre, which after buying a garrett pp and a digger i'd be sitting a little prettier $wise. ;) Or maybe a step up from the compadre. idk i'm confused!

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're mainly looking to coin shoot you might want to consider selling your 250,putting a few bucks with it and getting the 350;That machine is a real coin killer. Don't think that you might not be as serious about this as others, this hobby is ADDICTING!LOL!
The main thing is to enjoy it though.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're mainly looking to coin shoot you might want to consider selling your 250,putting a few bucks with it and getting the 350;That machine is a real coin killer. Don't think that you might not be as serious about this as others, this hobby is ADDICTING!LOL!
The main thing is to enjoy it though.

Theres not alot of dif between the 250 and the 350 besides the coil it works the same

OP
OP
treasure4pleasure

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THe 250 is my 12 year old sons detector. I"m getting one for myself so we can both hunt!! :) I don't really want another Garrett unless it's the AT Pro and I don't know if i want to spend that or even if it's entirely necessary for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread