New to Metal Detecting

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I just got interested in metal detecting (again it seems). When I was younger I had a metal detector, it worked fine back then. I found it today and took it for a spin. It works great, but it's kind of junky compared to many models you all are using. It's a Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker. Is it worth trying this detector out for a while and upgrading later, or should I go and buy a "real" detector to get started?

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the net, Eldar. If it works great, keep going. Find all that clad and silver... put them in a jar... then pull that money out to upgrade! (make sure you get a good return for the silver and watch for key dates). Now, get back to work. Let us know what you do. TTC

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good plan, where are good places to go to detect?

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal detecting world has a bunch of good info: here's the link

http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/how_to_metal_detect_p5.shtml

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where are you, Eldar? City or rural? Trees in front yards, gardens, the area connecting the back door to the car, under the trees in a church lot (ice cream socials and such), along the top 1/4 and the bottom of sledding hills, baseball lots. There are good books and internet sites that can list HUNDREDS of spots to look. TTC

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's sub-urban, bordering on rural sometimes. There are large parks around where I live, but I know that I'll need practice before digging in public places on grass. There is a festival at one of the parks this weekend, so I'll probably do a sweep of sorts for items on the surface.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do some OBSERVING at the park. Get to know where the tents are set up. Learn to recover coins using just a slim probe or screwdriver. NO plug with them. Practice. TTC

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems that much of metal detecting is research and reconissance

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, any way you look at it ... it's all R&R!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like a hawk, flying till spotting dinner. Lots of time looking; but the prize is what the effort is for! TTC

OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I can find something good! Thanks so much for the advice Terry!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to talk to a grounds keeper. Let them know what I am doing and try to assure them I am not leaving holes or damaging anything. The guy that mows the lawn often thinks he owns the place, so I want him for a friend and I always try to dump my trash when he has a chance to see me do it. Also, Try not to buy into the hightech hype if and when u upgrade. U don't always get what u pay for, you might then want to consider the new just released Tesoro Outlaw, comes with 3 coils, way cool. Welcome and good hunting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it'll be a while before I upgrade. My old metal detector is on the fritz, it beeps for no reason and I go over the same spot three times looking for something thats not there. I don't really have the money to upgrade, but we'll see what I can do with the one I have.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the coil has a cover, remove it and clean it, install good batteries.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you try it for awhile, And relise that you really want to get into it again, Then go out and buy you a better machine. But if you go out and spend 500.00
on a new machine and use it for a couple of weeks or a month or two,and discoverthat you are not really into it like you thought, then you will be fixin to lose money on the deal. Your choice. Welcome to our world.! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread