GARRETT AT PRO DEPTH ISSUE

mpro1

Feb 22, 2008
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
At Pro
Ace
So after so about 20hrs on the AT Pro....And some ground Depth testing.....This machine has less depth than my Ace 250 with the same size 8.5x11 DD Coil......The 250 picks up a silver quarter at 8" (Very intermittent but detectable) the AT Pro in Pro mode zero gets nothing????? Go figure. Contact Garrett?? VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Upvote 0

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes contact Garrett, first check all your settings. But 8"(at least in the soil I hunted in) should ring pretty clear and repeatable.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id be calling them my ace 350 picks up a silver quarter at 9-10 inches air testing and 11-12 inches with the bigs coil

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mpro1, I suggest first doing a hard reset (get all settings to factory) before calling. Then work the machine using the buried items. Go easy on the changes. I own a 250 and I know it goes deep, but your other machine should do better. I don't own an AT Pro. TTC

OP
OP
M

mpro1

Feb 22, 2008
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
At Pro
Ace
Mpro1, I suggest first doing a hard reset (get all settings to factory) before calling. Then work the machine using the buried items. Go easy on the changes. I own a 250 and I know it goes deep, but your other machine should do better. I don't own an AT Pro. TTC

I gave that a try with a 1940 silver quarter.The AT Pro Pro Mode Zero SENS -2bars @ 6" gets it with correct ID and good signal. @ 8" Numbers bouncing 30's 40's 50's....@ 10" around 53 nickle. Go figure???

The Ace250 with 8.5X11DD SENS -2bars ALL Metal @ 6" Hits solid between Penny and Dime @8" Solid Nickle @10" Nothing.

The ATPro in standard mode zero was very jumpy at 6"??. The 250 hits were solid & repeatable.....

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave that a try with a 1940 silver quarter.The AT Pro Pro Mode Zero SENS -2bars @ 6" gets it with correct ID and good signal. @ 8" Numbers bouncing 30's 40's 50's....@ 10" around 53 nickle. Go figure???

The Ace250 with 8.5X11DD SENS -2bars ALL Metal @ 6" Hits solid between Penny and Dime @8" Solid Nickle @10" Nothing.

The ATPro in standard mode zero was very jumpy at 6"??. The 250 hits were solid & repeatable.....
I checked my AT pro with the same settings you used. I got 86 to 88 at all depths, even 10 inches. People always say their AT pros are jumpy. The only time my numbers jump wildly is on a bottlecap.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say yes, but a rep should be contacted. TTC

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear nothing but good things from garrett so id call them and figure out what to do next could be simple as a coil ...but im no repair man

OP
OP
M

mpro1

Feb 22, 2008
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
At Pro
Ace
I wanted to be sure so I buried a Quarter at exactly 5" a couple of days ago......I get a low iron trash signal barely audible on the AT Pro......The Ace 250 gets it in coin mode but penny ID......I am gonna contact......

WVCOINHUNTER

Jan 19, 2012
Vienna, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, XP MI6, Garrett Pro Pointer, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would definately contact Garrett! I love my AT Pro, and my first silver coin with it was a 1929 mercury dime between 9 1/2", and I actually measured it. I have also found rings deeper! Getting to know all the sounds and paying attention to the really faint ones helps. Garrett is great to work with, and they will definately help you fix the problem. Good Luck!

OP
OP
M

mpro1

Feb 22, 2008
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
At Pro
Ace
I would definately contact Garrett! I love my AT Pro, and my first silver coin with it was a 1929 mercury dime between 9 1/2", and I actually measured it. I have also found rings deeper! Getting to know all the sounds and paying attention to the really faint ones helps. Garrett is great to work with, and they will definately help you fix the problem. Good Luck!

I contacted them yesterday, and they were great. Gonna try a new coil first.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Hope that new coil helps! Something very important on the AT Pro is using manual ground balance & being able to understand when it is set correctly. At first I avoided manual ground balance, got nothing deeper than 2 1/2" and was about to sell it. Then I started using manual ground balance, in the simple to understand STD mode, & got a dime down 7" that IDed correctly. This in a park detected 100s of times, soil somewhat mineralized & very dry.

You mentioned using -2 sensitivity. Just to be sure we understand each other, do you mean down 2 bars from max (6) or do you mean sensitivity 2 out of 8? Should not be necessary to use sensitivity 2, but 6 or 7 out of 8 is usually fine. Please let us know how it does after you get it back. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
M

mpro1

Feb 22, 2008
Long Island, New York
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
At Pro
Ace
Hope that new coil helps! Something very important on the AT Pro is using manual ground balance & being able to understand when it is set correctly. At first I avoided manual ground balance, got nothing deeper than 2 1/2" and was about to sell it. Then I started using manual ground balance, in the simple to understand STD mode, & got a dime down 7" that IDed correctly. This in a park detected 100s of times, soil somewhat mineralized & very dry.

You mentioned using -2 sensitivity. Just to be sure we understand each other, do you mean down 2 bars from max (6) or do you mean sensitivity 2 out of 8? Should not be necessary to use sensitivity 2, but 6 or 7 out of 8 is usually fine. Please let us know how it does after you get it back. Best wishes, George (MN)

Thanks for the info....Yes 2 bars from max on the sens for the testing..........I haven't received the coil yet but will update w/ the results.........I am definitely intrigued about the manual ground balance and learning how to set it properly??

Last edited:

DougJorgie

Jan 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I am having the same problem. My numbers are constantly jumpy and havent really found any coins deeper than 5 or 6 inches. I buried a clad quarter in my backyard at 8.5 to 9 inches down about 5-6 weeks ago and my AT Pro still doesn't find it at all. I has been rained on quite a few times also. I think I will be calling Garrett tomorrow morning. I am aso having problems with my Garrett Pro Pointer which they already replaced once. Garrett's customer service has been excellent so far but I would rather not need them at all.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I check my ground blance at intervals through out the hunt, and sometimes there big changes on the same site!. I have used the large DD and the smaller DD and have no problem finding dimes at 10 inches, with either one. Is there stuff between the coil and the coil cover, if you use one?

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I am having the same problem. My numbers are constantly jumpy and havent really found any coins deeper than 5 or 6 inches. I buried a clad quarter in my backyard at 8.5 to 9 inches down about 5-6 weeks ago and my AT Pro still doesn't find it at all. I has been rained on quite a few times also. I think I will be calling Garrett tomorrow morning. I am aso having problems with my Garrett Pro Pointer which they already replaced once. Garrett's customer service has been excellent so far but I would rather not need them at all.

Something is wrong with it... I haven't found a lot of silver, but out of my last 6 silver dimes, only 1 was less than 7 inches.. most 8 to 10 in pretty hunted out parks. If it can get that on a silver dime, it should do better on a quarter. I dug two extremely worn colonial coppers 2 weeks ago with one at a measured 12" (confirmed by a friend but wet ground may have helped though).

DiggerKeith

Mar 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got the AT pro last week and I am having same issues. buried a mercury dime 5 inches and the at pro would only occasionally beep in pro custom mode,
machine ground balanced sensitivity 80%. sat the dime on surface passed coil over the dime and the machine sounds off multiple beeps as like there was more then one dime. It almost acts like the coil is not in tune or calibrated correctly with the machine.

Sandancer

Jul 18, 2014
Totally normal when coin on the surface to get multiple beeps as the coil boundaries pass over it. 5 inch depth limit totally abnormal assuming sensitivity setting is correct.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Air test your AT pro, if it cant get a Dime at over 6 inches, send it in. My ATP had the same problem, couldnt pick up a half dollar at 7 inches... sent it in, and it came back HOTTT. Now it picks up dimes at 8-9 inches quarters half dollars at 10-11.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread