Bad experiences while detecting in rough neighborhoods?

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
I hunt NYC parks including the South Bronx.I don't hunt alone in some of the parks I hunt in,but some I do.You must be aware aware of your surroundings and be self assured when interacting with people.Most of the people I interact with at these places are just plain folks ,no matter their ethnic background.A couple of times I got verbally jived by some young punks,I just blow them off and walk away.I would not hunt anywhere here after dark,that is just foolish.I grew up in this city and with common sense you can hunt urban parks here.

Michigander Dan

Mar 11, 2012
Water Wonderland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pinpointer pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing I've also done in the past is carry a "dummy" wallet with a few 1$'s and some "fake" credit cards like the ones you get in the mail

I also like this idea but what I do if going to the older parts of downtown is go early in the morning. All the bad guys and girls wake up late like 12 noon as they stay out anywhere from 3 or 5am doing whatever mischief they can get themselves into. Try it, no one problematic will trouble you. Good Hunting!

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
About a month ago, I had just arrived at a playground, and started hunting around the swings. The kids were in the other areas, and a mother walked up to me, with her son, about 10 yrs old, and said that her son needed to apologize to me. I was kind of dumbfounded, and had no idea what she was talking about. She went on to say that although I did not hear what he said, he made a disrespectful comment about me, and he needed to apologize for it. I was kind of speechless, and the boy said he should not have said what he did, because it was disrespectful, and he was sorry. I said, okay, and cothat I appreciated his apology, and that one day, he would appreciate his mother making him do that. She went on to say that she had 5 kids, and that she tries her best to raise them to be respectful, and that was not a comment that should have been made. I never knew what he said, but I figured it was something along the same lines as what you heard that day. I figure he saw me with my detector and said I was stupid to think I would find anything out there. lol...As always, my detector was a magnet to the kids, who eventually ended up following me around to help dig coins, and he was right in the middle of them. lol That was when I used to give them all the coins I found. I finally quit doing that, and only part with a coin or two now. I felt kind of guilty about that at first, but, I don't have to deal with it too much now that I have headphones. That boy that apologized, decided he was going to save up for a detector after digging and finding several quarters that day. lol

I am so glad that some Parents do what they should. Teach their children.
Great story my friend.
Grey

OP
OP
Jay of MS

Jay of MS

Apr 13, 2012
The Deep South :)
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garret gtax 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wondered if maybe putting a jacket on with some abbreviations that look like government issued then I may not be bothered. I have been in a few places where there were a few shady characters and when they got to close I looked right at them and use my centech pinpointer like a walkie talkie. They would instantly turn around and wonder off.

Seriously though wearing a pistol on my side where it is visable is probably the best idea. It will usually stop ANYONE from trying anything and if they are dumb enough to still try something at least I have protection.

tmanfromtexas

Mar 12, 2006
Deep East Texas near Toledo Bend
Detector(s) used
ETRAC BABY
I have hunted parks in Gary Indiana and in Chicago, Washington, Jackson and Garfield to name a few and really have never had a problem with folks. I dont like to hunt alone but have and without incident. Most folks are curious of your finds and you have to use good common sense and situational awareness to stay ahead of the curve. If the shtf, use all of your tools at your disposal including your detector to extricate yourself from the hazard. TMAN...

stonewallsmen

Feb 18, 2011
Fort Bragg
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I currently live in Chattanooga, for a few more months, where there is a shooting, or stabbing at least every weekend. Unfortunately a lot of good relic sites are in the bad part of town. I was told that if I wanted to go detecting those sites and I couldn't go with a buddy that I should go early in the morning. Most bad people would be just laying down for bed because they had been up all night shooting at each other. Plus there would still be plenty of police presence because they were cleaning up some other crime scene in the area.

MongoLloyd

Mar 20, 2012
Mendocino County, CA
Detector(s) used
NEW DETECTOR: Minelab CTX-3030
Garrett AT Pro w/ Black Widow headphones; Garrett Pro-point; Lesche digger; "The Bomb #2" Sheath
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rough people? Bad people? Smack dab in the middle of "gangland hoods"?
No offense meant, but I generally find ignorance to be a larger threat than I do any subjective "bad people". At 15, I hitchhiked cross-country. Twice. I spent much time around folks that would fit the listed stereotypes, in most skid rows across the southern US route from Key West to San Diego, and up through Los Angeles and San Froancisco. In the thousands of miles I traveled by thumb, I was ripped off one time. It happened as I attempted to sleep in the backseat of a car, occupied by what some would consider to be "good people"; white and southern. They only mustered the courage because my eyes were closed. Some of the poorest people I met on the road, while they fit the stereotypes listed, also happened to be the kindest.
I don't buy into stereotypes and code words. Perhaps that is why I am not afraid to go places where "bad people" are; and I frequently have.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Rough people? Bad people? Smack dab in the middle of "gangland hoods"?
No offense meant, but I generally find ignorance to be a larger threat than I do any subjective "bad people". At 15, I hitchhiked cross-country. Twice. I spent much time around folks that would fit the listed stereotypes, in most skid rows across the southern US route from Key West to San Diego, and up through Los Angeles and San Froancisco. In the thousands of miles I traveled by thumb, I was ripped off one time. It happened as I attempted to sleep in the backseat of a car, occupied by what some would consider to be "good people"; white and southern. They only mustered the courage because my eyes were closed. Some of the poorest people I met on the road, while they fit the stereotypes listed, also happened to be the kindest.
I don't buy into stereotypes and code words. Perhaps that is why I am not afraid to go places where "bad people" are; and I frequently have.
I can guarantee you go into some sections of Liberty City or Overtown Miami and you will have trouble. People are shot on a daily basis here EVERYDAY it doesnt even make the news anymore. I have been all over both slums including Little Haiti and I consider myself lucky to be alive. Times have changed since your hitchiking days. There are thugs that will kill you for 5 dollars in a heartbeat if they feel they can get away with it.. Im not afraid either but I also dont want to be shot again.

Now the younger you are the better. They are looking for easy targets. At 15-40, you would probably be "safe" if you look tough. If you show any signs of weakness whatsover though, you are done. Believe me its true.. Im sorry to say the only ignorance here appears to be you.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Actually I lied. Overtown is so bad, I wont go there. But I have been detecting Little Haiti. Tourists used to get lost coming from the airport and were often killed simply asking for directions. Thats how bad it is. Of course when they kill each other nobody cares and it rarely makes the news. It was so bad that they thought it would hurt tourism.

They even used to barricade the expressway so cars would have to stop and they would be robbed. Very very bad some of these areas and should never be downplayed as if these "gangland thugs" are somehow nice people that will graciously allow you to metal detect their turf..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread