Bad experiences while detecting in rough neighborhoods?

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Use: Gold Bug 2, Gold Bug Pro, F5, Compadre

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could tear a strip of rag and wrap it around your detector housing then add a few wraps of duct tape to kind of make the detector look less desirable and get less attention from the questionable crowd. Usually if a rough group enters the park, I pack up and leave. Not worth risking my safety over a hobby. I also start searching these areas as early as possible and try not to create a pattern, i.e. detecting same day of the week... Avoiding conflict is better than dealing with it in these areas.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You need a Rambo digging tool and perhaps a phone for to call 911.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
One time I was hunting an oldtown demolition site, in a very blighted ghetto district area . There were drug deals going down on the block , and hookers plying their trade . After awhile, I noticed a pimp and a hooker eyeing me off in the corner of the lot. I could overhear them sizing me up for a mugging or something ! (I guess they thought I couldn't hear them with my headphones on).

Needless to say I made my way to a more well-lit part of the lot lot! :)

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Only bad thing I have experienced are folks who let their dogs run loose where leash laws are posted.
Yelling their dogs name 500 times as the dog explores everything.
"My dog has never bitten anyone before" is a lame excuse.
Don't get me wrong - I am a dog guy not a cat person. But owners should control their animals.
Some dogs just don't like people and it scares me to see a large dog running at me.
I don't know it's intentions so I react defensivley. (Sorry I Tased/shot your dog but why don't you have a leash).
That makes owners angry.
I have not done that yet but come close.
As far as bad people, never had a scare.
I carry a .45 and my hunting partner does too.
Concealed and Legal.
We watch each others backs but so far no problems.
I won't hunt without a partner.
Grey

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
I only hunt w/ others in those type areas . Also packing .

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used

Previously Used: Etrac, Explorer, G2, Lobo ST, Ace 250, Ace 350, MXT, Goldmaster 4/b, Gold Stinger, GTAx 550, Sovereign, Golden Umax,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only bad thing I have experienced are folks who let their dogs run loose where leash laws are posted.
Yelling their dogs name 500 times as the dog explores everything.
"My dog has never bitten anyone before" is a lame excuse.
Don't get me wrong - I am a dog guy not a cat person. But owners should control their animals.
Some dogs just don't like people and it scares me to see a large dog running at me.
Grey

I totally agree. Other day my 4 year old boy was getting scared and I was nervous myself as these kids had a pitbull without a leash that they brought to the totlot. The dog kept coming towards us and they had to keep calling the dog back. The kids said, "Don't worry she's friendly". Maybe to people the dog knows, but I still get nervous around some dogs as when I was younger a "Don't worry he's friendly" doberman attacked me on the arm for no reason. End of story, I took my boy and left.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good advice. One thing I've also done in the past is carry a "dummy" wallet with a few 1$'s and some "fake" credit cards like the ones you get in the mail in applications now and then - maybe also carry along an old worthless cell phone (maybe some piece of crap you've found out hunting) and if someone approaches demanding my wallet or something, I just give them that and say it's all I have. Also - never wear jewelry when detecting (including wedding ring) in rough neighborhoods.

Carolina Jack

Mar 19, 2012
The Carolinas
Detector(s) used
Minelab sovereign, Whites XLT, NEW E-TRAC, S&W .40 CAL, NRA MEMBER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice, I like the dummy wallet idea. But I still carry my S&W .40 cal

kai_gold

Jun 29, 2009
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Avoiding conflict is the best way of dealing with it. Calling 911 will only help you get an ambulance as they will not arrive in time.

The best advice is not to hunt alone. I think Sunday morning is best as there will be church goers out and about.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Lots of good advice. One thing I've also done in the past is carry a "dummy" wallet with a few 1$'s and some "fake" credit cards like the ones you get in the mail in applications now and then - maybe also carry along an old worthless cell phone (maybe some piece of crap you've found out hunting) and if someone approaches demanding my wallet or something, I just give them that and say it's all I have. Also - never wear jewelry when detecting (including wedding ring) in rough neighborhoods.

well they could come back at you when they realize they were snookered. find a nice Rambo digging tool, it also digs. mine says SOG on it, nice find, looks Ranger type.

Last edited:

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Avoiding conflict is the best way of dealing with it. Calling 911 will only help you get an ambulance as they will not arrive in time.

The best advice is not to hunt alone. I think Sunday morning is best as there will be church goers out and about.

The ambulance would be for the pimp!

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With a permit If you let the grip Or the Holster been seen at just the right time most see that the reward is just not worth the risk, no problems so far,
but who's to say.....best advice is to go in a group, or just not go into those places. LMHO.....HH

Aztec Gold

Tenderfoot
Apr 9, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting in one of those areas not to long ago it was about noon during a weekday, so there wasn't any kids around just a couple of younger ladies with their toddlers, everything was going OK just finding trash but i wanted to hunt there bcuz its an old park then the ladies passed next to me and I heard one asking the other "what was I doing?" then the other said that I was looking for gold jewelry or something so they laughed and commented "In this park how dumb", so I felt stupid and embarrassed so I just left to another little park in a different area. I know that I shouldn't of care and just went on with my business but has anything like this happened to anyone?

May 21, 2012
Hopkinsville, KY
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Garrett's Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hunting in one of those areas not to long ago it was about noon during a weekday, so there wasn't any kids around just a couple of younger ladies with their toddlers, everything was going OK just finding trash but i wanted to hunt there bcuz its an old park then the ladies passed next to me and I heard one asking the other "what was I doing?" then the other said that I was looking for gold jewelry or something so they laughed and commented "In this park how dumb", so I felt stupid and embarrassed so I just left to another little park in a different area. I know that I shouldn't of care and just went on with my business but has anything like this happened to anyone?

About a month ago, I had just arrived at a playground, and started hunting around the swings. The kids were in the other areas, and a mother walked up to me, with her son, about 10 yrs old, and said that her son needed to apologize to me. I was kind of dumbfounded, and had no idea what she was talking about. She went on to say that although I did not hear what he said, he made a disrespectful comment about me, and he needed to apologize for it. I was kind of speechless, and the boy said he should not have said what he did, because it was disrespectful, and he was sorry. I said, okay, and cothat I appreciated his apology, and that one day, he would appreciate his mother making him do that. She went on to say that she had 5 kids, and that she tries her best to raise them to be respectful, and that was not a comment that should have been made. I never knew what he said, but I figured it was something along the same lines as what you heard that day. I figure he saw me with my detector and said I was stupid to think I would find anything out there. lol...As always, my detector was a magnet to the kids, who eventually ended up following me around to help dig coins, and he was right in the middle of them. lol That was when I used to give them all the coins I found. I finally quit doing that, and only part with a coin or two now. I felt kind of guilty about that at first, but, I don't have to deal with it too much now that I have headphones. That boy that apologized, decided he was going to save up for a detector after digging and finding several quarters that day. lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread