Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? So I have been enjoying this hobby for about 5 years now and over the last 3 I have become more and more frustrated with the lack of good solid finds. I am currently and have been using since I started the hobby the Garrett 550 GTAX. I will not dispute that it is great at finding spare change but when it comes to jewelry and other metals it is so erratic and doesn't seem to tell the difference between a rusty old nail and a gold ring. Therefore to this day I have only found a few pieces of sterling jewelry and one gold earring and The only reason I found them was because they were so close to the surface i was able to just kick the dirt away to reveal them. So what I'm trying to get at is can someone recommend a good solid brand detector that surpasses most when it comes to finding jewelry. I'm only looking to spend around $800 i would like to go less if possible and I would be willing to buy used. Can anyone recommend a good jewelry & gold detector? :BangHead:

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The GTAx 550 had a very short run. I wanted one to replace my GTAx 500 which is out of print, also. I find nothing wrong with the 500 and suspect the 550 is built on the same platform. "Tweak" it up. It should do well. Question: How many hours on the 550? Just because you've owned it 5 years, doesn't make it a dinasaur. What is the ratio of jewelry to hours used? THAT is the parameter that should be considered. Everything else being equal, consider a Gold Bug 2, another garrett, or a Minelab. For $800, you shoul be able to get a decent machine for your needs. I have owned many Garretts and currently own a GB2. I have never owned a Minelab but many here say they are great. Probably are. Just one more thing, try to buy local. Mike at Woodland Detectors or Kellyco. Hope I've been of some help. TTC

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the problem with almost all Garretts is the delayed signal and the block segments. Too many different types of metal can fall into those 9 categories unlike a machine that actually gives a VDI number. Just my opinion, actually under my logic you should be digging more jewelry with a Garrett because you can't cherry pick as easily.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the problem with almost all Garretts is the delayed signal and the block segments. Too many different types of metal can fall into those 9 categories unlike a machine that actually gives a VDI number. Just my opinion, actually under my logic you should be digging more jewelry with a Garrett because you can't cherry pick as easily.

I'm not too familiar when you say VDI number? One of the problems I have been having is that I will get signals and then quickly lose them. Or I will get a nice strong signal and then once I have started digging The signal disappears. I almost wonder if there is something mechanically wrong with my machine.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The GTAx 550 had a very short run. I wanted one to replace my GTAx 500 which is out of print, also. I find nothing wrong with the 500 and suspect the 550 is built on the same platform. "Tweak" it up. It should do well. Question: How many hours on the 550? Just because you've owned it 5 years, doesn't make it a dinasaur. What is the ratio of jewelry to hours used? THAT is the parameter that should be considered. Everything else being equal, consider a Gold Bug 2, another garrett, or a Minelab. For $800, you shoul be able to get a decent machine for your needs. I have owned many Garretts and currently own a GB2. I have never owned a Minelab but many here say they are great. Probably are. Just one more thing, try to buy local. Mike at Woodland Detectors or Kellyco. Hope I've been of some help. TTC

when it comes to hours on the machine its well over 900 hours in the last 5 years and again the lack of finds is frustrating. And yes I will for sure buy locally I already have a local dealer that I use and he is very knowledgeable. Do you know anything about the whites models are they worth the hype? I have customers that have Whites detectors and are in almost every other week with more and more gold jewelry that they find, it's very discouraging.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I'm not too familiar when you say VDI number? One of the problems I have been having is that I will get signals and then quickly lose them. Or I will get a nice strong signal and then once I have started digging The signal disappears. I almost wonder if there is something mechanically wrong with my machine.

I have only been detcting for two years. Bought a used Tesoro Golden Umax. It took me about that long to realy learn it. Those signals that you describe are ghost signals. I chased alot of those in the beginning. I had a lot of fun with that detector. It's a keeper for me. Especillay since I know it. (Thats the KEY.)

I just bought a used Whites DFX. When you narrow down your selection download the manual for the detector you are considering buying. Watch some utube videos on the machine. Make your choice based on your own reserch and what you like in a detector.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how deep your detector will get but I've been hunting parks that have been pounded for years and the only stuff left is those really deep targets. Sometimes when I get a dime at 10" or a little more once I dig the plug the detector will not be able to pick up the target anymore thats when I pull out about 12" of dirt and its usually a silver dime or sometimes a wheat. Not sure if this is whats happening to you but once you disturb the ground alot of times the detector won't be able to detect the target as deep, so you might pull out a little more dirt next time you run into that. HH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know anything about the whites models are they worth the hype? I have customers that have Whites detectors and are in almost every other week with more and more gold jewelry that they find, it's very discouraging.

You can pick up a used MXT fairly cheap. If you don't like it, you can sell it for what you paid and not be out anything. I think mine lives up to the hype.

OP
OP
Carson Coin Master

Carson Coin Master

Sep 4, 2007
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been doing some research with the local dealer and I am considering a gold bug pro. He was saying that they seem to work better in the type of soils we have out here in northern Nevada (a lot of mineral deposits) He was also saying Garrett ATI I believe he said was another good one. I don't know... Its going to be another couple of weeks before I can get back out for a hunt I'm still recovering from hip surgery so until then I don't need something right away. On the other side of the coin if there is anyone out there that has a used gold bug pro for sale I am interested. Thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Save yourself a lot of money and frustration, and get a Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. as in Nevada you need manual ground balancing. Look into the Tejon as well. Good Luck!

when it comes to hours on the machine its well over 900 hours in the last 5 years and again the lack of finds is frustrating. And yes I will for sure buy locally I already have a local dealer that I use and he is very knowledgeable. Do you know anything about the whites models are they worth the hype? I have customers that have Whites detectors and are in almost every other week with more and more gold jewelry that they find, it's very discouraging.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread