Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm starting to see why people abandon this hobby. I've been at it for the past 2 months and have found nothing but clad with the exception of 2 wheat pennies. I know I shouldn't expect much for such a short time, but it's getting annoying. Today, for example, I was out for 7 hours. I went to a beach, an old church, another old church (there was too much scrap metal in this yard to make it worthwhile), the largest high school in our county, and two old swimming holes that are no longer used. I came back with about $1.75, mostly in dimes and pennies. The oldest was 1977 I believe. I've been hitting spots like this since I started and am coming up with nothing. I don't usually go to places that were built after 1950 or so, and I'm still getting nothing. My detector isn't the best, and I know this. It's a bounty hunter that I got as a christmas gift about 8 years ago. I've buried coins from my collection as deep as 10" and still been able to find them with no problem, even on edge.

Am I looking in the wrong places? What am I doing wrong?!

Upvote 0

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
easy tiger, don't give up the ship just yet. I've been detecting for 9 or so years and have spells that all I find is trash and some pennies.
Let's see if it might be in your settings. I hunt with no descrimination at all times, even in high trash areas. Today I ordered a Shooter DD 4x6 loop for my MXT to help get around the trash.
Where do you have your settings on your detector?
You may even want to slow down your swing? Make sure your coil is as close to the ground as possible without scraping. Make sure you don't make an up and down swing. Keep it level with the ground from side to side.
Where are you hunting (what state)?
xXx

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I haven't been in it long enough to find anything real worthwhile, but if I'm doing something wrong I'd rather know it now than 9 years from now...lol. All my detector has is sensitivity and discrimination. It doesn't tell you what it found, other than a dual tone (like I said, it's not exactly top-of-the-line, but I'm putting all the clad I find towards a new one :)). I turn my sensitivity up to about 75% (it chatters if I turn it up all the way with no discrimination) and the lowest amount of discrimination as possible...just so that the dial is "on". I make sure I have a level swing, and I usually hunt from different angles. Like today when I was at the beach, it was closed and I was the only one there so I drew gridlines in the sand. I worked each grid area through and after I finished one up I'd start from a different angle and go again. I found a few things on the second pass this way but it doesn't seem to do a whole lot of good. I'm hunting in western PA mostly (Armstrong County)...I go to school up in Erie but I don't get out much when I'm there.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, I READ YOUR POST, AND EVEN THOUGH MOST PEOPLE HERE MIGHT
NOT TELL YOU THIS, ( AND MAGAZINES WANT YOU TO BELIEVE THERE IS TONS AND TONS OF THINGS LEFT)
WHAT YOU DESCRIBE SEEMS TO BE MORE REALITY THAN FICTION.

MOST OF THE PLACES YOU ARE LOOKING HAVE BEEN
SCOPED OUT OF THE GROUND YEARS AGO, I'VE BEEN HUNTING FOR ABOUT
20 YEARS, AND 10 YEARS AGO I COULD HIT A CHURCH AND IF I WAS LUCKY
IT WOULD PRODUCE 10-15 WHEAT CENTS AND MAY 2-3 SILVER DIMES
BUT WHAT YOU DESCRIBE SOUNDS A LOT LIKE WHAT I FIND TODAY ON A TYPICAL OUTING. BUT THE REAL TRICK IS PERSISTANCE AND AN UNDERSTANDING THAT THIS DAY AND AGE YOU WILL FIND VERY LITTLE IN THE
PLACES YOU DESCRIBE, AND YOU MIGHT HAVE GO TO 10 CHURCHES
OR MORE BEFORE FINDING SOME REAL NICE OLDER COINS.
THERE IS ONLY SO MUCH IN THE GROUND, AND FOR 40 YEARS GUYS
LIKE US HAVE BEEN PICKING PLACE CLEAN.
THAT IS THE SAD TRUTH.
BUT IF YOU WRITE BACK I CAN GIVE YOU SOME TIPS ON FINDING A
FEW BETTER THINGS THAN WHAT YOU DESCRIBE.
RICHARD

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
TrpnBils,
We probably have a similar detector. I use a Radio Shack discovery 1100 which is made by bounty hunter and is just around 100 bucks. I have found some great stuff this year (30+ silver coins including two barber 1/2 dollars and a coin from mid 1700s) only because I've found a few key spots that were not hunted. You are right, most are hunted, but virgin sites exist. You really have to get creative and be a detective. I find the key is to find a place that used to exist, but no longer does, so it's much less likely to have been hunted since nobody sees it today as an easy target (as you would with a church, a park, etc. something that still exists). One great example is there was an old amusement park, but the whole thing had been destroyed by development, but there were woods adjacent to the park that were still intact (and I saw them in an old photo of the park). I hunted these woods and found nothing except in a small area about 10 x 15 feet I found six silver coins. I suspect these coins came flying off people riding the roller coaster that went along the woods, or perhaps from people who went in their to go to the bathroom, have a smoke or whatever. Best way to find these places is to go look at old photos in the library, online, etc. and talk to old timers about where everyone used to go and hang out as kids, where the fairs and circuses used to come in town, etc. Don't limit yourself to one town either. Hope some of this helps. I know how you feel though. I have been spoiled by a couple good sites I found and recently have been on a cold streak, but I know I will find a new good site with lots of research. Just like sales, you put in the time and you make the sales. Good luck. You will find stuff. Meanwhile, I'll see if I can come up with any good leads for you in Armstrong County.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking about that last night actually. I think when the weather cooperates again I'm going to try over by my grandparents house where they tore down an old farmhouse about 40 years ago. They had been looking for something (I can't remember what now) from that house about 10 years ago so they asked me to come over with my metal detector. I don't remember what they had been looking for, but it was big, and we started digging a big signal in the general area of the house. After about 10 minutes of this, we realized that the signal I was getting was the septic tank so we decided to stop digging and look elsewhere 8). I'll give it a shot again though, that was back when I first got my metal detector and didn't really know how to use it much.

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Definitely don't give up, more then likely it's where your hunting rather then the MD, I've got a low end BH and it really works well. Keep practicing and look into areas like Bergie described, thats the ticket!

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
There could be some things your not doing right but I will start with your detector.

The BH isn't able to to go very deep in the all metal mode you will be lucky to get 8 inches and that depends on the soil.
The reason you can bury a coin and find it at that level is because you know where it is and move very slow over the target but that's not how you hunt in the field is it?
Your search area at 8 to 10 inches is about an inch at that level so you could be passing up alot and don't Know it.

Your detector settings...

In tone or disc mode with the BH you might get down 5 inches that's it with normal swings.

Here's my two cents...

If you want old coins and relics you need to upgrade your detector the Bh your using is only good for surface hunting to about 4 inches. I know because I have used one for the last year and have reasearch the heck out of this detector. I have gone as far in my research that I talked to the guy that designed it.

If you like the technology of the BH I would look at Tesoro start with the silver max but if you can afford more there are better detectors from Tesoro.

The original guys that started BH left and started Tesoro from what I understand.

Your fustration is coming from the detector and the type on hunting your seeking.

The guys finding silver coins with the BH are finding them at about 4 or 5 inches I would bet.

I have found old silver coins but only at about that level but I don't hunt in the all metal mode where depth is increased a couple of inches.?

Onion

?

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I guess BH are ok-but never used one-I like Fisher or White. Tesoro also good machine - technology is great this day and age. That's why the companies like us-we keep trying to get better machines that go deeper and find more. I was told that Tesoro Silver Umax w/Troy coil is great for depth. But research is 90% of it all then 10% perspiration.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hi Trpnbls
You have received excellent advice. I liked the responses by Bergie, Richard and Onion
The issues are

1. What will it take to keep you in this hobby? Bergie mentioned finding 30 silver coins in a year and he is content. Would you be satisfied with finding 6 silver coins in 2 months? Different folks have different expectations. Perhaps this hobby is not for you. It's not what you find it's the enjoyment of finding lost stuff.

2. Depth and discrimination quality is important on hunted sites. Even those BFOs of 40 years ago could detect dimes at 6". Have you seen all those posts with folks displaying all that beautiful seated silver? In the majority of the cases? they were deep. You have to have something capable of finding a dime 6" to 10" in the dirt and next to iron.? On hunted sites you are looking for deep coins(which the BFOs missed) or coins which are hiding near trash. One tactic sly experienced users use with deep machines is too remove the iron trash. Find an area that in the past has produced great coinage. Then remove the iron. By removing the iron mask you will see what the iron has masked for dozens of earlier detectorists. If you remain in the hobby-suggest a depth and discrimination upgrade. Folks who remain in this hobby upgrade from a BH. (e.g.? For $350 you can get an Tesoro Cibola with the depth close to a high end machine).

3. Virgin sites offer the best potential for you. Walk where no one has swung a detector before. You would be amazed at the incredible coinage I have found less than 6" in virgin sites.? Some folks ask to detect older homes'? lawns- they always find silver but a lot of folks don't have the courage for that(Be very carefull with the lawn). You might want to try this approach just to give you some morale boosting. Find a little silver and you are not a virgin. If you find some barber coinage like I did on my first older home lawn- you will be hooked for life. Follow Bergie's example and your BH will do well in virgin territory.

Just my 2 cents worth
George

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would I be satisfied finding 6 silver coins in 2 months...are you kidding me? I'd be satisfied finding 6 wheat pennies or maybe just a few pre-1975 clads in 2 months...lol. I've been doing a lot of research these last few days and I can't find any old maps of my area (since I don't live in a town or city there's not really much reason for these maps to exist I suppose). I hit up the library last month but they didn't have much info outside of the town. I'm going to try to hit a few old homesteads where the houses were torn down when the weather finally lets up, but I'm going back to school on Sunday and I've heard we have a bit of snow up there so this will probably be my last attempt until spring when it all thaws out. I go to school right along Lake Erie so it's either snowing or cold with a -40 wind chill all the time til about April up there :(. Thanks for the input though, I'll be getting a better detector before the summer hopefully.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Trpnbils,

I'm going to get as much enjoyment out of helping you find your first silver as I would out of finding one myself. So, I did a little research on your county. Seems like you are pretty close to Pittsburgh and maybe Altoona. Could you confirm which major and any regional newspapers you get in your area that are big enough to have online sites with an archive listing. I'd like to start by doing some online research in the archives of these newspapers to try to help you locate a couple of good places to search. I've had luck with this in my area finding articles with key words that have led to sites, including one private site where I found a 1906 Barber dime. You want to get onto private property (with permission of course) because they are most often virgin sites.

Bob B.

Oct 27, 2004
I live seven miles outside a town that has a city population of a little over 6,000, 25,000 if you count the outlying areas and since I live in the woods, the first place I visited was the courthouse to find out who had owned the propert years ago and what if anything was ever built on it besides my house, they can be helpfull. Even a town my size as an historical section in the library, I talked to those people, found out where old train stops were got pictures of what the town looked like 150 years ago, found out where the oldest churches are
etc.. Like what has already been said research, research, research. HH Bob.B

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bergie said:
Trpnbils,

I'm going to get as much enjoyment out of helping you find your first silver as I would out of finding one myself. So, I did a little research on your county. Seems like you are pretty close to Pittsburgh and maybe Altoona. Could you confirm which major and any regional newspapers you get in your area that are big enough to have online sites with an archive listing. I'd like to start by doing some online research in the archives of these newspapers to try to help you locate a couple of good places to search. I've had luck with this in my area finding articles with key words that have led to sites, including one private site where I found a 1906 Barber dime. You want to get onto private property (with permission of course) because they are most often virgin sites.

Well, to get right down to it, I live near Kittanning. I'm about 45 minutes away from Pittsburgh and I don't think I've ever been to Altoona in my life so I can't help you there. Our newspaper is the Leader Times (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/leadertimes/) but I'm not sure if that has any kind of archive or not. I've always read that newspapers are a waste of time to do research with because they have so much excess crap in them that it takes up too much time. That's why I haven't looked into that yet, but if you want to, go for it. I just found some stuff tonight on 100-year old amusement parks in this part of the state so I'm going to do a little more research on them. By the looks of things, I'm only going to have 2 days to get out and actually hunt before I have to go back to Arctic Hell on sunday, so I'm hoping to make the best of my time.

If you want any more info, I think my email should be listed in my profile, but if it's not just PM me and I'll give it to you. Like I've told a few others, I'm not ashamed to ask for help on this since I'm new at it and I'll take what help I can get...so thanks to everybody that's given it a shot so far. I really appreciate it.

Jeff

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading some of what these other guys were saying, and some of it is really good advise.
but about your machine not being good enough to find deeper things....
I told you what I think, you won't find anything if there is nothing there...
I have some of the most expensive machines on the market.
2 DFX's, Tesoros, Fisher CZ6, and a Minelab...
I don't find much more than you in the places you describe...

Money can't buy machines that can find things where there is nothing....
As for schools, my advise is to hit as many as possible
eventually you will find one that has tons of clad change in it.
Get a local map and circle all the schools (high schools and middle schools
have ballfields elementry schools have playgrounds) then make the rounds until
you find one that produces pocket change..
You will find one somewhere that someone has overlooked..
Out of 50-60 schools I've maybe found 2-3 that really produced a lot...
Just a little help.
Richard

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
100 year old amusement parks sounds great. Keep us updated. I noticed in some of my research that there seem to be many old amusement sites in PA. If you have time, contact some of these historic sites in your area below. Phone numbers are provided for each. Tell them you would gladly search for old items on the property and donate the items to them for display. It's a great way to be able to find good things and provide a great service. Just make sure you talk to someone with the authority to say yes to you. The old sales line is 'never accept a no from someone who doesn't have the authority to say yes' so try to talk to a key person. You may not have time for this before you head out of town, as you mentioned, but keep it in mind. (Note, consider it lucky if you get one or two of these to say ok. That would be a good hit rate.)

Armstrong County Courthouse and Jail
Market Street, Kittanning
(724)548-3215
Hours 8:30 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday

The County's third and current Courthouse, built in 1856, it is an elegant structure with a large portico, stone columns and highly ornamented dome. The jail is a gothic style structure attached to the Courthouse.
(divider)

Armstrong County Historical Museum & Genealogical Society, Inc.
300 N. McKean Street, Kittanning
(724)548-5707

The Armstrong County Museum is located in the McCain House on N. McKean Street, a federal-style edifice built in 1842 by Thomas McConnell. It features a drawing room, Indian room, genealogical library and exhibit room.
(divider)

Calhoun Schoolhouse
Route 1016, Belknap
(724)545-1280 or 543-2176

This one-room schoolhouse near Belknap was built in 1881 for all students in grades one through eight. The school was closed in 1962. Many of the original furnishings including the desks, still are housed there.
(divider)

Drake Log Cabin
Williams Alley, Apollo
(724)478-3037 or 478-1217

Built in 1816, this one-room log cabin shows how early settlers lived. Items from the era are on display.
(divider)

Iron Foundries
Route 68, Bradys Bend

The Great Western Iron Works operated in Bradys Bend from 1839 to 1873. The company was known for producing the first "T" rail west of the Allegheny Mountains. An old stone furnace can be viewed behind the former Bradys Bend Elementary School.
(divider)

Leechburg Museum
Main Street, Leechburg
(724)842-8511 or 845-6742
Hours: 12 pm to 3 pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays

This house and two-story workshop were built as part of the estate of David Leech, founder of Leechburg. Today, they house a museum filled with items from the past.
(divider)

Marshall House
North State Street, Dayton
(814)257-8260

This Victorian house is a perfect example of a 19th Century County Home. Items typical to an old farming estate are on display.
(divider)

Mickey's Grist Mill
Old Mill Road, Freeport

A mill has been located at this site in Freeport for over 200 years. The former water-powered mill can be viewed from the outside.
(divider)

Saint Patrick's Log Church
RR 1, Worthington
(724)526-5079 or 445-3309
Hours: 11 am to 9 pm April 15 through September 30

Photo by William R. King, Copyright 2001

Early settlers built this church in 1806 after using the nearby grounds as a cemetery beginning in 1798. The rough-hewn log structure with wooden benches and wooden alter intact is open daily.
(divider)

WCTU Building
Second Street, Apollo
(724)478-3037 or 478-1217

The building was erected in 1909 as the Apollo headquarters for the Women's Christian Temperance Union. It housed the first public library in Apollo and Armstrong County. The building is now the home of the Apollo Area Historical Society and its museum.

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004

Radioactive

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2005
South Florida
Don't give up on the beach! I do very well there. You have to look at the places people travel. My best spot is the access to the parking lots. Start from there, and work your way to the beach. I like doing it when it's cold and that way I'm alone. It's in the upper 70's now so it's no good. Swing slowly from side to side as you move. Use head phones, you maybe blowing right past some good stuff because you don't hear the faint signal. Think and watch the people, see how they pack up and carry their stuff. Whenever they step up or stop to do something thats where the money drops. Look around the trash containers that dot the beach, they are another good spot. There are sometimes 6 or 7 hunters walking along the waters edge. I leave it to them, and search along the parking lots and paths. Just my two cents, hope you have some luck soon. Robert

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bergie said:
In addition to last post, here's another with about 8 pages of closed drive in movie theatres in Pennsylvania. Just keep hitting next at the bottom of each page to get to the next one. Goes alphabetically by drive in name. While many of these you will find have been developed over, some haven't and even those that have may have areas of original property that can be searched.
http://www.drive-ins.com/dbdisrch.htm?keyword=&city=&code=pa&status_op=closed&search.x=13&search.y=7
this site is realy Cool, bergie, all my local DRIVE-INS are on there. I never seen this site before, never knew it igsisted. WOW

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bergie said:
In addition to last post, here's another with about 8 pages of closed drive in movie theatres in Pennsylvania. Just keep hitting next at the bottom of each page to get to the next one. Goes alphabetically by drive in name. While many of these you will find have been developed over, some haven't and even those that have may have areas of original property that can be searched.
http://www.drive-ins.com/dbdisrch.htm?keyword=&city=&code=pa&status_op=closed&search.x=13&search.y=7

WOW THIS IS AWSOME !!
I WILL USE THIS TO LOOK UP WHAT I CAN IN N.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread