Semi-noob here. Garrett Ace 350 Q- Too much junk, also interference from rocky rivers

Goldmoon

May 6, 2012
BC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Ironclad "Viking" Digger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am hoping to get some advice here, I wield a Garret Ace 350 Euro...

Question #1:

I seem to find a ton of bottle caps & soda can tabs. I think if I discriminate them out, I will also lose gold & silver jewelry too.
It seems to come up in the same range. Its just a pain because every 2 feet you walk, there is a bottle cap.

Question #2:

I have been looking for gold in a river which is known for nuggets, but as I'm going through it seems to beep all over the place even though there is nothing there.
I figured going into the mountains looking for gold; away from the junk would help me avoid false signals.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm sure lots of you have experienced these issues.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your trying to pospect with the wrong machine its not ment for gold

OP
OP
Goldmoon

Goldmoon

May 6, 2012
BC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Ironclad "Viking" Digger
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It picks up even a pinhead sized piece of gold so it can't be that bad for prospecting, but I get a lot of interference from rocks. It did say it can be used for prospecting on their website, even though its not specifically for it.

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've yet to take mine to the mountains but I can't see why it wouldn't do the trick...if you pass the coil over gold big enough for it to pick it up. I cant see much value in trying to pick up pinhead sized pieces from under moving currents. Not that you can't detect it but you'd probably do better sluicing.

I've done a fair amount of panning/sluicing in rivers and from my experience any gold settled in cracks and crevices is often accompanied by birdshot, lead weights etc so there is alot of stuff in there even if you don't see it.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have the gain up and your falsing ...i hunted the river and had to turn mine 3 notches off full it didnt like the wet ground

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
high mineralization levels in the river rocks -- its picking up the minerals in them as "metal" ( they are commonly called "hot rocks" by detectorist) - could also be picking up tiny dissolved amounts gold in the water as well -( which is why many VLF type machines often "false" in salt water --the machinnes "read" the dissolved minerals in the salt water as "metal" )--- basically put -- its a sensitivity level issue * when you run a very high level of sensitivity -- the machine is quite "touchy" to even small amounts of minerals * because you set it up to be 'touchy" for small amounts of gold (small nuggets) -- one often has to back off the sensitivity a bit to smooth out the detector -- also with nearby high power lines --if one gets EMF feedback -- dropping the sensitivty level can often help .

AND IF YOU UP THE DISC LEVEL TO SKIP BOTTLE CAPS / PULLLTABS -- SMALL NUGGETS WILL NOT RING UP MOST LIKELY -- A MUCH LESS TRASHY SPOT -- IE --A NICE REMOTE AREA WOULD MOST LIKELY BE MUCH BETTER

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions