moxacaine

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive lurked for a little while but finally decided to sign up. I live in Northern VA and have a tough time finding spots to hunt (open to suggestions and hunting partners). Im still a newb as i recently bought my Garrett Ace 250 (still learning to use it) last fall and have only been out a few times. The only time i ever get out is when i head up to PA to hunt with my buddy (newb also). I am heading up there this weekend for the holiday and we have permission to hunt the Isle of Que in Selinsgrove, PA on the Susquehanna River. Its history goes back to as far as the early 1600s as an Indian village. Although finding any Indian artifacts with a metal detector is unlikely but there have been many other settlers on this land after them. The only downside is that being on the river it has been subjected to many years of numerous floods so im sure the junk will pile up. But may just be worth the effort. My buddy also has an old mill site he wants to hit but i am not sure where that is at. I'll update my trip Sunday or Monday.

Thanks for the read and happy hunting.

Upvote 0

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of history in this area. The Isle of Que was mostly under water this past September so you are correct in that there will be plenty of junk. If you get out in the big farmed field you might get lucky and score some arrowheads. Once you are done hunting you may want to check out the Selin's Grove Brewing company. Also look into Taste of Philly for some great eats. selinsgrovebrewing.com tasteofphillyselinsgrove.com

Enjoy!!habs

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, are you talking about the boat that supposedly sailed up the river in the 1600s or 1700s? Penn's Tavern is also a fine eating spot. Just across the river from Selinsgrove but 10 or 12 miles by road.

OP
OP
M

moxacaine

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome moxacaine !

Isle of Que :headbang: Awsome !

there is a Treasure story connected to the area, but havn't been able to get any other details

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/p...ouse-fishers-ferry-northumberland-county.html

Thanks!! I grew up in Sunbury so i am familiar with the area. My buddy said the area we are hunting is the Fisher house property. Honestly i dont know what that means. I did some research and found some Fishers that lived on the Isle but other than that didnt have much luck. Ive also been trying to hunt down some old maps of the area but again unsuccessful. I assume its the Adam Fisher mentioned in your thread. I'll have to dig some more.

OP
OP
M

moxacaine

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of history in this area. The Isle of Que was mostly under water this past September so you are correct in that there will be plenty of junk. If you get out in the big farmed field you might get lucky and score some arrowheads. Once you are done hunting you may want to check out the Selin's Grove Brewing company. Also look into Taste of Philly for some great eats. selinsgrovebrewing.com tasteofphillyselinsgrove.com

Enjoy!!habs

Thanks!! I see you're in Sunbury. I grew up there, Shikellamy class of 2000. Left after high school for the army and only come back to visit family and friends.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, are you talking about the boat that supposedly sailed up the river in the 1600s or 1700s? Penn's Tavern is also a fine eating spot. Just across the river from Selinsgrove but 10 or 12 miles by road.

Actually not sure if connected to that, or the possible Pirate treasure supposedly Dug on an Island up that way.
May also have been from the Female Counterfeiter, or Robber (Not Lewis)
all I Ever read was what I Posted above

eathabs

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2005
Sunbury, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, Classic ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, the gold found on an island was near Danville I think. I'll have to search for the other article.

Mox, Wife and son are Shik grads. Daughter will be next year.

Thanks for your service to our country!

waiting for pics of your finds.

habs

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff, the gold found on an island was near Danville I think. I'll have to search for the other article.

Mox, Wife and son are Shik grads. Daughter will be next year.

Thanks for your service to our country!

waiting for pics of your finds.

habs

Yes your Correct the story goes on an Island South of Danville.
Although that could mean Reeds Island, Selingsgrove & the Isle of Que is Sort of south of Danville.
Just thinking Out of the Box a Little. If the original story was in the danville Paper,
they may say south of Danville

Untitleddd.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moxacaine

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so we had access to 5 farm fields near the fisher house. They were huge and the sun was hot so we only covered one field. Metal detecting was about useless. There were three of us and all we found were soda cans and chunks of rusted horseshoes. We are going to schedule going back and hitting the other fields another day. Even though we had no luck metal detecting doesnt mean it was a worthless day. Along with the sunburn we all got my buddy Brian (he should be signing up here soon) found a stone axe/hatchet head. It was sticking half out of the ground and he picks it up and was shocked at what it was. I found an arrowhead and what i believe to be a mortar. Im pretty stoked about our finds. The pics are on my phone and my phone is dead right now. Ill get them posted shortly. He is going to talk to someone from the historical society in i think Williamsport about his find. Im going to send him pictures of my mortar and see what they have to say about that as well. All in all it was a beautiful day to be out and pretty exciting hunting on a land with so much history. We did hit an old mill site in Mifflinburg for about an hour but didnt have much luck.

OP
OP
M

moxacaine

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is the rock hatchet head.
6145f300.jpg

The arrowhead is broken but still a fun find.
d24a03e5.jpg

I wasnt sure about this mortar but since i found what looks to be a pestle right in the exact same spot i figured id take it home and have it checked out. The hole in the possible mortar is fairly shallow so if it is a mortar it was not used much. Anyone with more knowledge on this please feel free to chime in.

Here is the first pic, as you can see its not very deep. But in the second pic you can see what i think might be a pestle that sits perfectly in it and neither of these are that flat.

e1183fd4.jpg

db222b70.jpg

0019b4d1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread