what to do???

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, just had a few questions and feel free to give me all your input. its been a pretty slow year for me so far but in the next couple of months i hope to get out more, Ive been using the fisher f 70 with a double d coil. i love the fast recovery speed and depth of this machine but i still feel like there's a better detector out there for all around coin shooting, I'm not much of a relic hunter and it seems like this machine leans towards that category, i can find the copper and nickels at decent depths, even clad but I'm yet to find a silver with it. so getting to the point i was thinking of investing into a different machine, I'm a fan of teknetics and I'm curious of maybe trying a whites. i would say anywhere in the 4 to 7 hundred dollar range. or maybe if there's someone out there looking for a trade i might consider doing that to. please let me know what u think!!!!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite honestly, I think you just need to find some better locations. Your current detector is fully capable of finding silver - if it is there to find. There will always be a "better" detector, but unless there is something there to find, it won't find anything either. If you can find clad at 11", you can find silver and gold at the same depth. Just something to consider..

OP
OP
D

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i understand were your coming from i detect with people that pull silver out of the ground left and right, im surrounded by 100 year old parks and campgrounds, just figure after 8 months of hunting i would of found something before 1964.

OP
OP
D

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for instance, i have hunted my dads yard numerous times with it back and forth and over and over, and then i show up one day and decided to use his delta 4000, not even an hour or so i found a 44 nickel and a 57 dime and i know i went over them spots at least 4 to 5 times?

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You may "think" you went over those spots time and again but in reality, I don't think there are too many detectorists that can swing a machine so perfect as to not miss small swaths of ground. Maybe when you swung near the spot your detector was on an upswing with a bit of an arc that was just too far off the ground or maybe as you were scrubbing the grass you missed that 1 inch of ground that the dime was sitting in. Maybe you just looked away for a few seconds to look around and you miss several inches on your swing....too many variables in hunting coins. Unless you grid off the ground with string or paint or whatever, areas are going to be missed.

Watch some of the detecting videos and see how crazy some people swing there machines...it's a wonder some of them find anything.

That's why most of us old-timers KNOW that a place is never really hunted out. Pay close attention to your swing...that will make a huge difference rather than spending 100's on a machine that won't do much better than what you got.

I've gone to a couple "hunted out" parks that guys told me how they and there friends beat the heck out of and in my first 15 minutes or so pull out dimes, both clad and silver....and not very deep either...like 3 or 4 inches....a depth any machine would detect.

Some people claim detecting is 10% skill and 90% luck. There has to be a coin just so and you got to be there to find it...an inch or so off and you walk right by it.

Maybe get someone to video you swinging your machine and see where you may be missing areas of ground and try to improve on that.

Al

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an F70 and I didn't care for it. If you are thinking of another mid priced detector, consider the minelab Xterra. Very stable and quiet compared to the F70, with rock solid IDs, tone and TID on quarters, dimes and pennies. In the $500 range used.

swampratvabch

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2008
hey now, lets start up the test garden. Put them in the ground and see whats up... Great machine..give it test runs.. at your parks and campgrounds bring with you the silver and put them in different depths. I believe you will change your mind..good luck

OP
OP
D

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill take it out this weekend for a couple good long hunts, i know it has great depth, if not one of the best, i dug a license plate over a foot with it, just seems like the target ID's are off, wheat pennies come up as pull tabs, and i had some newer pennies ring in the quarter settings, nothing worse than getting a nice single and dig 5 or 6 inches down to find a stink-in Lincoln. idk will see how it goes and if i find silver i will be very amazed.

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am having a similar problem. Don't know if it's the detector or the operator :laughing7:. I'm using a Fisher 1266X and I get really deep targets but almost no silver. I've been using it for 5 months and have logged about 75 hours on it. I'm hunting yards that have never been detected with houses on them dating from the mid to late 1800's to the present time but I can't find any silver coins, just clad. I've only found two silver coins in all that time and they were big ones (a silver dollar and an Australian Florin), I find all kinds of other targets, some of them 10 to 12 inches deep, but no silver. I have a hard time believing there aren't a few older coins there. Maybe it's because the yards are pretty trashy with iron and it's masking the good signals. When I do an air test with silver dimes I don't get much besides a crackle if I hold the coin over 3 inches from the coil. Any suggestions?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread