Got my first metal detector and it appears to be broken within the first day

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just purchased a Tesoro Compadre to get started in metal detecting. Got it today and of course took it out in the yard. Hunted for about 2 hours and found a pile of junk and some clad coins, basically everything was seemingly normal. Later this evening I took it out in the yard again and it starting acting really sporadic, beeping and popping regardless of whether it was even on the ground or in the presence of metal or not. Coil is snug, and I don't think I did anything that would have caused the machine to stop working.

Obviously I know to give KellyCo a call tomorrow, but is there any hope that I'm not going to have to send this thing right back? I'm really bummed that this happened, as I've been really excited waiting for the detector to get here and now it doesn't work :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chances are it isnt the detector.... Are you hunting the same area you did earlier, have you reset your controls? It could also be something around you that is giving off electricial interference such as lights electrical lights and so on, that will drive a detector nuts... Are your batteries fully charged, batteries that are dying will do the same thing, when a battery starts to get low the detector will start acting up as it isnt getting enough voltage....

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to take it to an area away from powerlines and houses like an open park, theres a good chance its just EMI causing your problem. I've seen sometimes even the same area will be worse at certain times, there are places here I'm in Indiana as well that I'll be there for an hour or two then the EMI will get worse as I'm detecting. Good luck and HH

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also a help I got from Sandman when having similar issues with a Tejon, take off the coil cover and clean it out, worked for me.

OP
OP
sshafer11

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies everyone. It appears that it was just EMI. I took the detector out today and noticed no problems.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread