Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hosensack

Thread: Got my first metal detector and it appears to be broken within the first day

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2011
    Indiana
    Tesoro Compadre
    19 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Got my first metal detector and it appears to be broken within the first day

Just purchased a Tesoro Compadre to get started in metal detecting. Got it today and of course took it out in the yard. Hunted for about 2 hours and found a pile of junk and some clad coins, basically everything was seemingly normal. Later this evening I took it out in the yard again and it starting acting really sporadic, beeping and popping regardless of whether it was even on the ground or in the presence of metal or not. Coil is snug, and I don't think I did anything that would have caused the machine to stop working.

Obviously I know to give KellyCo a call tomorrow, but is there any hope that I'm not going to have to send this thing right back? I'm really bummed that this happened, as I've been really excited waiting for the detector to get here and now it doesn't work
    Last edited by sshafer11; May 24, 2012 at 02:03 AM.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    9900 times
    Chances are it isnt the detector.... Are you hunting the same area you did earlier, have you reset your controls? It could also be something around you that is giving off electricial interference such as lights electrical lights and so on, that will drive a detector nuts... Are your batteries fully charged, batteries that are dying will do the same thing, when a battery starts to get low the detector will start acting up as it isnt getting enough voltage....

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Aug 2009
    White's MXT300 D2, 950, 6X10 DD, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
    194 times
    Try to take it to an area away from powerlines and houses like an open park, theres a good chance its just EMI causing your problem. I've seen sometimes even the same area will be worse at certain times, there are places here I'm in Indiana as well that I'll be there for an hour or two then the EMI will get worse as I'm detecting. Good luck and HH

Charter Member

Apr 2007
    Mertztown, Pa
    Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
    77 times
    Also a help I got from Sandman when having similar issues with a Tejon, take off the coil cover and clean it out, worked for me.
    Sandman likes this.

us
    Jul 2011
    Indiana
    Tesoro Compadre
    19 times
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It appears that it was just EMI. I took the detector out today and noticed no problems.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    2220 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sshafer11 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It appears that it was just EMI. I took the detector out today and noticed no problems.
    Also make sure there are no Security systems operating or electric dog fences. Some radio and microwave towers interfer with detectors too. Having a detector where you can change freq. helps too. Everyone should read the following.
    http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davej...terference.htm
    Last edited by Sandman; May 25, 2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: add a link.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links