Results of the Brandy Station VA.. Minelab CTX 30/30 performance test

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By now I now a lot of you are wondering..."OK! OK! How does the new Minelab handle in the highly mineralised soil in Culpeper Va?" "Does it perform well there?" Well, yes and no. sorry, only the honest reports here. The machine was tested along side of the White's MXT, and TDI just for fun, and inevitably the Minelab GPX4800 later in the day... Settings used initially for the CTX, were Greg Johns (Project Manager CTX30/30 Minelab) Great guy by the way. Ok, I'll cut to the chase. We started out with a site survey for a future Culpeper organized RELIC RESCUE hunt in soil that was "moderately" Minerlalized a few miles just east of Brandy Station.. ..The CTX was getting great depth actually, and I recovered some brass, along with melted lead around 8 inches or deeper.Pretty good! Not too bad for semi mineralised soil eh?. We then proceeded to some spots that we had been granted permission for from a local land owner, and Police officer in the community. Maybe 1/4 of a mile from the Beaugard, and Glebe Farms, ( HOTTT SOIL!) where all the organized hunts are held. Soil is dark red, and super incredibaly mineralised. Most machines struggle here getting any depth or stabilization at all. The Ctx remained stable, but just couldn't get the deeper depth needed to retrieve Civil War artifacts.. However, . I did dig a couple CW Minne Balls, and button backs in the 5 inch range. NOTE: All the relics dug were in a natural setting, and not planted, or seeded to perform a very accurate WOODLAND DETECTORS field test. After a couple hours, we headed to another adjacent spot. Again the ctx remained stable, and like the etrac handled fantastic under the power lines.(no better machines for that IMO currently) After an hour or so, I decided to bust out the (MONSTER) Minelab GPX 4800 (using the 15 inch Commander coil) , and run it over the ground I had just hunted...Area was marked with flags with the ctx just a few minutes before. The GPX immediately sounded on a 7 inch deep minne ball. Targets were then easy to reach in the "powdered Iron" of Culpeper Va. (around 7-15 inches respectively) I have been to 5 states in the past 2 weeks or so since I got this CTX 30/30 machine. All In all, it has proven to be a great relic hunting machine in 90 percent of land tested on. Now you have it. Honest feedback that you all have come to know us for in the past. I hope this sincere review was useful to you. I have machines coming soon if anyone needs to order. Like the Etrac, if you purchase through us, I will give you a tutorial and training to help you get started.

Mike
Woodland Detectors
Toll Free 855-966-3563

Upvote 0

aoyue2702

May 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cant wait to get mine! Mike, when do you think our pre-orders will ship? i know some other people on the forums have tracking id's already with scheduled delivery dates of May 25th!!! (Friday/tomorrow!!) and some guys have 29th and 30th as delivery dates.

PM/Email/Call me if you wish :)

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions