Garrett Overload???

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
I have recently purchased a gently used Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII from a friend of mine. I have used it for about 6 hours and it has worked great. However when I went out this morning to use it, I noticed the overoal icon was lit solid, not blinking. The detector would not react to anything metallic, but I could here the threshold tone. I reset the unit to factory settings four times, by holding the power button in for 10 seconds, but this has not changed anything. I changed the batteries from new c cells to ni-cad (fully charged) and still no change. I have never posted in this forum before and would sure appreciate any help anybody could give me. I am new to metal detecting and really like this detector, but I need it to work. Thanks ahead of time for your help.
kevin L.

Upvote 0

Fred

Apr 3, 2003
Princeton,BC,Canada
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Kevin; That beats the heck out of me,but then so many things do!lol One of the other guys might be able to help but a call to Garrett's might be in order. I know that they are supposed to be closed today but you could try anyway. Best of luck, Fred

OP
OP
K

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
Thanks Fred, I need to add one thing. I continued to play around with the unit and when I unplug the coil the overload icon goes out and it appears the unit is trying to work as normal. When I plug it back in the overload icon comes back on. It sounds like it is in the coil. Can these be reaired??? Do you know anybody who does this work besides Garrett??
Thanks
kevin

OP
OP
K

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
Thats an idea that I have not thought of. I have not used it in water but I did use it in wet grass. I will call Garrett in the morning. Maybe by then it will be dried out.
Thanks for the idea.
Kevin

Attachments

• DSC03111.JPG
    DSC03111.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC03113.JPG
    DSC03113.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC03114.JPG
    DSC03114.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC03115.JPG
    DSC03115.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC03116.JPG
    DSC03116.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC03117.JPG
    DSC03117.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
K

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
It's been sent off to Garrett. Looks like it is in the coil. For only forty bucks they will go through the entire machine including re calibrating, so that's not to bad. They priced me a new 8 inch coil for 60 bucks which I can't beat anywhere. The detectoir should work like new when I get it back. If you haven't tried one of these units they are really a good unit. Check ebay for them and some places still have new ones.
Kevin

OP
OP
K

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
no not water. I looked at it really close and it is all sealed. They think something might be wrong with the connector. I will let youmore after they check it out.
Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread