Is metal detecting allowed in Bastrop city parks?

Ryan5678

Greenie
May 12, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to Fisherman's park and Ferry park in Bastrop saturday morning. I'm bringing my detector, but I couldn't find any sort of rules for the park or any park in Bastrop. Does anyone know if metal detecting is allowed in Bastrop city parks? Since I couldn't find anything I figured it would be okay unless someone stopped me, but if anybody knows any rules that I should know about before I go metal detecting there, it would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'll probably be fine just going with it unless someone says something and I have to leave (which I hope won't happen! :happysmiley:).

Upvote 0

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hello Ryan, I don't know about detecting, but if I remember right, a few months ago, a homeless man found a bag of money in a city park by a river. The city kept the money because it was found in a city park. Just keep it in mind.
And by the way, welcome to Tnet.

Bill

OP
OP
Ryan5678

Ryan5678

Greenie
May 12, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the welcome Bill! Yes, I did hear about that, and that's part of the reason I asked (other than the fact that it is already banned in Austin city parks). I'm not expecting to find anything like the homeless man did, so since I didn't see any rules posted hopefully no one will mind if I find a few coins.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
OK, I was playing around on Bastrop's website, and looking at the city ordinances, in chapter 8, if they want to be picky, you can be charged if you are digging or participating in earth breaking activities in a public area that is not designated as a camping area. It also says you have to obey park regulations. Can't find any park regs on their website, just after hours contact numbers. All that being said, the parks should have signs posted which outline prohibited activities. If Johnny Law stops you, just be nice and polite, and tell them you tried to find out the rules,but their website is the pits, then offer them a share of the loot.

Just kidding. I would like to see pictures of what you find, so please post!!

Best of luck,
Bill

OP
OP
Ryan5678

Ryan5678

Greenie
May 12, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for finding that out. I tried by the riverbank and only found trash. If I had time I would have tried the playground (I should ahve looked there first) but next time I'll try there. If I find anything next time I will definitely post pictures!

OP
OP
Ryan5678

Ryan5678

Greenie
May 12, 2012
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went back to my Grandparents house afterwards and detected in the woods by the creek in their neighborhood, and this is what I found!
nickel front.jpg Nickel back.jpg

bullet1.jpg bullet2.jpg bullet3.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
" ...... digging or participating in earth breaking activities ....."

Whenever I see verbage like this, in city park rules, (and things like "vandalism", "defacement", "alteration" and so forth), I do not consider them to apply to metal detecting. Because think of it guys: Every one of those words specifically implies an END result, do they not? So if you've left no sign of your presence when done, then by logical deduction, you have not "altered", "defaced" and so forth, RIGHT?

If you think otherwise (that these phrases automatically are equivalent to md'ing), then you've lost the battle already. Becuase I can gaurantee you: every single park in the USA (city, county, state, and fed level) all have verbage dis-allowing the alteration, destruction, vandalism, and so forth. Give it up and stick to private property, or pick another hobby.

Just be a little discreet, pick off-low-traffic times, use a little common sense (don't be hunting when busy-body lookie lous are studying you), etc....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread