Help! Getting discouraged.

kywildcat

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im new to MD and ive only hunted a couple of fields. I've done everything Im supposed to do but all I find are cans and junk. Can someone help me with some pointers and maybe some words of encouragement. Can anyone tell me where I can go to legally hunt in the state of Kentucky. Im willing to do anything to find some relics or coins/jewelry. Im a tremendous fan of history and would love to find some pieces of it. I know im being a little impatient but I just need some tips from you experts. Thank you any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok first of all dont get discouraged this isnt american diggers where you got out and find a million dollars worth of stuff everytime. secondly you need to hunt where there is stuff to find local parks. playgrounds, schools places like that if your new to your detector then a good place is your own yard learn the sounds you would be surprised whats in your own yard hopefully that helps good luck

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kywildcat said:
Im new to MD and ive only hunted a couple of fields. I've done everything Im supposed to do but all I find are cans and junk. Can someone help me with some pointers and maybe some words of encouragement. Can anyone tell me where I can go to legally hunt in the state of Kentucky. Im willing to do anything to find some relics or coins/jewelry. Im a tremendous fan of history and would love to find some pieces of it. I know im being a little impatient but I just need some tips from you experts. Thank you any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Order the book from Garrett called, SUCCESSFUL COIN HUNTING?

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know how up to date these are, but I suspect you should consider joining a Detector club.
-----------------------
Northern KY Treasure Hunters
8330 U.S. 42,Florence, KY
859-356-0512
Randy Deaton <[email protected]>
NKTHC
President - Randy Deaton

Bluegrass Relic Recovery
,, KY
<[email protected]>
http://www.bgrelic.org
Louisville Metro area Kentucky President - Don Forrest

Central Kentucky Research and Recovery Team
956 Spanish Grove Drive,Richmond, KY 40475
(859)626-9823
Pres: Alan Barnett <[email protected]>
Meets the 1st Tuesday of every month at Madison Hills Christian Church, 960 Red House Road, Richmond, KY 40475 at 7pm est. Light refreshments served, business meeting, show and tell time. Member FMDAC

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
There is just one thing could be two things you need to metal detect....Patience & Perseverance ....... 3 things.. and the ability to be ........ persecuted by others that don't understand why you do this & don't spend your money on golf clubs........ That would be the 3..P's .......... And as you know with golf you spend money and have fun.......... But with Metal Detecting you spend money and have fun ........... But with metal Detecting you also are makeing money if you are one of the many lucky ones............. You see i did not say one of the few ........ I said one of the many that get rewarded with good finds when metal detecting........ But you have to have those ...3..P's.......... PATIENCE & PERSEVERANCE & and the ability to take PERSECUTION.....

Last edited:

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me secrets

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
. I know im being a little impatient .
You know what is wrong then.... And that is the secret..... If you are impatient you have to change your thinking....... For you can not be impatient and do good at metal detecting.........

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True gotta give it time ...and for junk you will dig that along with the good but you need to go spend the time learning local history at the library and then spend the ground time looking for that good spot to hunt ...it only takes 1 place to get started

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Im new to MD and ive only hunted a couple of fields. I've done everything Im supposed to do but all I find are cans and junk. Can someone help me with some pointers and maybe some words of encouragement. Can anyone tell me where I can go to legally hunt in the state of Kentucky .....

What kind of "fields" did you metal detect? 'Cuz you just don't go out and randomly hunt any "fields", lest .... yes ...... you'll just get random can slaw or whatever. There needs to have been something that went on in that "field", for it to be a good place to hunt. Like a camping spot, or an old park or fair grounds. Or a saloon or stage stop site, etc..... Ie.: any place where people and travellers came and went from, and/or money exchanged hands, and/or people recreated at.

House sites are a possibility (for if they used to be in a "field"), but will a distant second, for coin-to-junk ratio, than the other type examples I give. Because naturally where persons lived, is going to be riddled with their homesite and work junk, house debri from fallen houses, etc.... Nor did they necessarily recreate (as in a park, home, campsite, etc...), nor was $ exchanging hands (since it was a singular family concern), etc... However, if the home-site is old enough, and abandoned early enough on (before the age of electricity and autos), then individual homes sites can be good to hunt.

As far as where to hunt "legally", do you mean as in private property (ie,: field owners)? If so, then I suppose you can just ask the owner, eh? But if you meant govt. land of various levels/entities (city, county, state, federal, etc...), the only ones to avoid are going to be historically themed protected monument type places. For the run-of-the-mill county and city beaches, parks, school yards, etc... there is rarely ever any verbage prohibiting detectors. If you have any doubts, look it up for yourself (rather than thinking you need to go "ask" at city and county halls, etc...). Rules, codes, laws, charters, etc... for each city and county are usually always available on the city's website. If there's nothing there that specifically says "no metal detecting", then PRESTO, it's not dis-allowed now, is it :)

cornell349

May 21, 2012
I'm having the same problem, been out in my yard and found some old bottle caps and nails is all and can't find much history in my area to help me hunt, the impatience is bothering me too cause the usual junk gets old don't it

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"I've only hunted a couple of fields" There it is right there! You have a long way to go. Put in 100 hours, like the manual says. Then tell me you can't find anything! Under large trees, old swimming holes, around the front porch. city parks, carnaval sites, ball parks, etc, etc. ANYWHERE PEOPLE GATHER! Go for it! TTC

Okie115

Apr 15, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get out and go to a local park, football field, playground something like that to get your first few finds to boost the confidence and between hunting those spots research some older spots like old schools and churches and such. I spent about 10 hours at the beach and only found one dime so far, so I think I'm done with the beach for a while until I can get a better detector that I can take into salt water.

1320Fastback

Apr 21, 2012
Oceanside, Ca
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new at this too (1 month detecting) and believe me there is stuff to find everywhere.

I have had luck at city parks, playgrounds, volleyball courts, beaches, empty fields and my own back yard.

In one month I have acquired 19 Quarters, 17 Dimes, 6 Nickels and 74 Pennies (1 of which is a wheat)
and 1 Chinese $10.00 Hanan Copper Coin (early 1900's).

For the most part I think playgrounds by far are the most $$ for time invested.
They tend to be a small area that has a lot of traffic.

About twice a week I try to work a playground into my morning commute.
I find one close to a freeway that I am driving on and spend 30 minuets there....
Yes you have to get up a little earlier :)

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I blame american diggers for this thread

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess we all do from time to time great finds don't just happen by chance most of the time. I tend to keep a collection of my better finds to one side when i get disheartened I bring em out and this gives me the get up and go for the day. Besides you just never know I found a 1899 threepence in a childs sandpit play area.

OP
OP
kywildcat

kywildcat

May 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, you've given me some good ideas. I really just wanted some advice about where to go and you've given me that. I appreciate your kindness. Im a tattoo artist as well and you should see what *******s hang out on those boards. Everyone here was very helpful. Very refreshing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread